Sakakawea/wind

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The wife and I actually have a cabin rented Sunday thru Tuesday at Hazen Bay. Sounds like a lot of wind and a little rain. First time I have fished in that area, but I think I'm liking the wind, as that should help narrow down the spots to look for fish.

yes it will because fishing from shore on foot will really narrow down the spots to fish ;:;rofl

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
curious how many brave souls with take on the 35mph SE wind from the van hook ramp Saturday.
she will be rolling up in that neck of the woods.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The biggest walleye that I have caught out of metigoshe was when we were watching a storm brew in the west but I had a seaworthy boat so wasn't worried since there was no lightning and the rain looked to be a ways off. All of a sudden the wind really picked up so we started heading in probably 3-4 mph with the big motor , I had left one line drag behind with a spinner skipping across the surface thinking I'd get it later and picked up a decent walleye with some dumb luck . I always wondered if that could be duplicated.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
curious how many brave souls with take on the 35mph SE wind from the van hook ramp Saturday.
she will be rolling up in that neck of the woods.

Fishing tonight for a few hours just to scratch that itch, but man I will be sitting it out Saturday and Sunday this weekend...you can call me "Shirley"! Told the wife we can knock out any "honey-do" list items this weekend. Can always find a protected bay to launch but if you can't get the spots you wanna fish...whats the point! Maybe I need a $90K sparkly 23ft boat with a 400HP motor!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking forward to the windy shore action here on the liberal east coast - where it's supposed to top out, but stay steady, at an optimal 15-20mph or so

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fishing tonight for a few hours just to scratch that itch, but man I will be sitting it out Saturday and Sunday this weekend...you can call me "Shirley"! Told the wife we can knock out any "honey-do" list items this weekend. Can always find a protected bay to launch but if you can't get the spots you wanna fish...whats the point! Maybe I need a $90K sparkly 23ft boat with a 400HP motor!

Well, I scratched the itch tonight and although my boat is a 1 ft and half and 50 hp short of your “windy day” rig, it was still damn rough! Fishing was fine and it was decent, but the 4 mile drive back on the north shore west of indian hills straight into breaking waves from a solid steady 20 mph southeast blow, well let’s just say that it wasn’t a fast trip back to the bay and I appreciate my boat on those drives more than any other! Beer in cup holder, turn the tunes up, take my time and stay dry and comfortable. Tomorrow however sounds like a whole mother story!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, I scratched the itch tonight and although my boat is a 1 ft and half and 50 hp short of your “windy day” rig, it was still damn rough! Fishing was fine and it was decent, but the 4 mile drive back on the north shore west of indian hills straight into breaking waves from a solid steady 20 mph southeast blow, well let’s just say that it wasn’t a fast trip back to the bay and I appreciate my boat on those drives more than any other! Beer in cup holder, turn the tunes up, take my time and stay dry and comfortable. Tomorrow however sounds like a whole mother story!

Good man...glad you got out...but yeah too much wind for me...already looking at the weather for next weekend!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
about 2 dz brave souls as of now from the hook ramp.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious what people use for wind information.

https://ndawn.ndsu.nodak.edu/current.html Not sure if this like will bring you to the wind function or temp but it is my first weather related stop. But most things on it are "at the moment"

Then I go here: http://hint.fm/wind/ but it is also at the moment.

I don't see much on sites like Accuweather or Weather bug that show wind projections, and when I do it doesn't seem accurate or longer term.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got home from the hook. Screw that.

Hahaha yep. Was out yesterday. Was rough enough boat control was an issue. Fishing was decent. It’s been better it’s been far worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Worm wiggles as far as wind I check admit many sites as I can , intellicast/weather underground, accuweather, the local weather apps, weather.com, but they all have failed me at one point so I just check them all. I look for consistency amongst them all. The more consistency i see I feel the greater chance the models are correct

Whitetail56

Any one heard of anything going on at the tailrace . Just to get out of the wind kind of .

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Curious what people use for wind information.

https://ndawn.ndsu.nodak.edu/current.html Not sure if this like will bring you to the wind function or temp but it is my first weather related stop. But most things on it are "at the moment"

Then I go here: http://hint.fm/wind/ but it is also at the moment.

I don't see much on sites like Accuweather or Weather bug that show wind projections, and when I do it doesn't seem accurate or longer term.

Windy.com
iWindsurf.com

These are my go to's...pretty damn good!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
0500...let the dog out...getting ready for work...wind dead calm...par for the course - hope some of you can get out on the water today and enjoy...I'll keep my fingers crossed for Sat/Sun next weekend!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
forecast is windy through Thursday over here in liberal hell

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve also found the Windy app to be very good the last few years

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58