Salem ice cabin

Jignjerk

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Salem ice cabin.. Looking to pull the trigger on my first wheel house and am taking a hard look at the ice cabin. Anyone own one or have friends that do? Positives/ negatives? Thanks for the help (should have posted in ice fishing forum but figured general would get more hits)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before my father in law and I built ours we were dead set on a salem. Seems like they're built pretty well. I wouldn't hesitate going down that alley again.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
They look like descent unit. If I were to buy a new one, it would be a Yetti for the light weight and all aluminum construction. It would be nice to have something that doesn't rust IMO.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we build our next one it'll be with a yeti shell. I think if you want to do your interior the yeti shells excel. However, the completed route sends me back to a Salem.

Jignjerk

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the response. I helped some buddies build a 16' from axles to frame and interior last year. Was a good time and finish product was awesome. Just looking to be lazy this time. They look like a nice unit just didn't know what kind of reputation they had.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
they've been building campers for years, so i would think they have the engineering down for the top side, and i'm sure with the past few years of ice house building under their belt, the bottom side has been refined as well...

if you treat them like a $30k camper, and not like your uncles home made $100 flatbed trailer after ingesting an 18 pack, any of them should last a long time...

for anything commercially built, i would find the layout that works best for you and jump in... as witnessed by most on here, a liquored up ice fisherman can wreck a crow bar in one weekend... just don't be that guy with a nice piece...

good luck...

btw... i have a friend who has had one for bout 5 years... has used it summer and winter, and it has held up well...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73