Salmon caught by new town

RangerNation81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who all saw van hooks post on Facebook about the 16.5lb salmon caught by new town? Was kinda curious if they caught it by accident or if they were up there fishing for salmon? Either way that's a solid fish and prolly put up a nice fight!

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
That woulda been a blast to catch. Seems like we'd hear of a couple caught up that far every year or so. First I've heard of one in quite awhile though or maybe I'm just out of the loop.

RangerNation81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't heard of many the last few years! And yea I agree that would be a blast to hook into!! One of these years in going to get rigged up and actually fish for them!! But until then the rush of lake trout at fort peck this fall will have to do

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't heard of many the last few years! And yea I agree that would be a blast to hook into!! One of these years in going to get rigged up and actually fish for them!! But until then the rush of lake trout at fort peck this fall will have to do

Thats on my short list to try one of these days as well.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question: If the salmon that we're now seeing in the Garrison Dam tailrace are males coming from Oahe, and the females are soon to follow, why wouldn't the salmon in Sak end up at Ft Peck, in like fashion? I mean, and I am likely wrong, I thought that when they spawned they kinda headed up-stream as far as they're able.

If anyone has answers, I'm all ears. More curious than anything else... ..

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question: If the salmon that we're now seeing in the Garrison Dam tailrace are males coming from Oahe, and the females are soon to follow, why wouldn't the salmon in Sak end up at Ft Peck, in like fashion? I mean, and I am likely wrong, I thought that when they spawned they kinda headed up-stream as far as they're able.

If anyone has answers, I'm all ears. More curious than anything else... ..

The salmon you are seeing in the tailrace are not Oahe salmon. Those fish are life long residents of that portion of the river. In addition, the salmon stocked into lake sakakawea are not imprinted in any of the waters upstream, thus they have no desire to return to that area to spawn, mostly because they don't know where to go.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
They return to where they were released

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
They stock the salmon in the tail race, as well as a number of bays around the east end of Sak. This time of year, the 4 year old (give or take) salmon are making their way back to where they were stocked to try and spawn.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, in light of the responses above, if the males are now in the tailrace, or on their way, does it make sense that the females will follow? Kinda opposite of the human world. (see - ladies night at the bar)

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, in light of the responses above, if the males are now in the tailrace, or on their way, does it make sense that the females will follow? Kinda opposite of the human world. (see - ladies night at the bar)

Haha if there is a sign it usually means 100 guys and 3 or 4 really uncomfortable women.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha if there is a sign it usually means 100 guys and 3 or 4 really uncomfortable women.

Truth right there.
I never chased the ladies night nonsense back in the day, made me uncomfortable, just like looking at bruce jenner these days

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when they first stocked salmon in Sak there were a number of people in the New Town area that tried to catch them, incorrectly thinking they could be found that far north in catchable numbers. It was an exercise in futility for most people, although a few would get caught around 4 Bears and Pouch Point.

I have seen a few incidental catches up that way over the years, some on cranks and my ex even caught one on a spinner/lindy rig in 6-7 ft of water one time.

I have also partaken in a few gill net and seining trips around the northern end of Sak. Salmon were a rarity even in the idiot led gill netting operations by the paddlefish researchers from Idaho. Man alive if that guy isn't clueless on walleyes and northerns, he had his grad students setting gill nets suspended out in 50+ ft of water, all they caught were catfish, goldeyes and carp. The 2 salmon I remember them catching in the gill nets suggested to me there simply weren't many in that NT to Lewis and Clark St. Park reach. That was back in 1993 - 94.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when they first stocked salmon in Sak there were a number of people in the New Town area that tried to catch them, incorrectly thinking they could be found that far north in catchable numbers. It was an exercise in futility for most people, although a few would get caught around 4 Bears and Pouch Point.

I have seen a few incidental catches up that way over the years, some on cranks and my ex even caught one on a spinner/lindy rig in 6-7 ft of water one time.

I have also partaken in a few gill net and seining trips around the northern end of Sak. Salmon were a rarity even in the idiot led gill netting operations by the paddlefish researchers from Idaho. Man alive if that guy isn't clueless on walleyes and northerns, he had his grad students setting gill nets suspended out in 50+ ft of water, all they caught were catfish, goldeyes and carp. The 2 salmon I remember them catching in the gill nets suggested to me there simply weren't many in that NT to Lewis and Clark St. Park reach. That was back in 1993 - 94.

It's not unlikely walleyes could be found suspended at depths 50 ft plus, especially in Sak. Right place right time type of deal.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not unlikely walleyes could be found suspended at depths 50 ft plus, especially in Sak. Right place right time type of deal.

Not impossible, but for the life of me, I never seem to find them suspended on upper Sak like one hears about on the Great Lakes or from the salmon anglers nearer the dam. All I find out there are goldeye, and LOTS of them.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My uncle has caught several salmon over the years in the New Town area. But he's been fishing there since the 70's. My kid caught one on a reef runner along the embankment back about ten years ago. trolling with about 100' of line out. Late afternoon, 100 degrees and not a ripple on the water. 6lb test and spinning rod. It was 14 lbs and took all the line off the real four times. It just swam around on the surface for half an hour and we just kept driving to it putting the line back on. It now resides on the wall at the cabin. The little shit caught a 24lb-45" northern a month later on the same rod/line setup lol.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 41
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14