Salmon fishing

Black Cloud

Hey guys, new to this forum and new to salmon fishing here in ND. So I figured I'd see what everyone has to say as Im pretty green to this type of fishing. This past spring I picked up a pair of downriggers and will be making a pair of rods for them. I also have a set of trolling rods that I was thinking of using dipsys on. I'm also thinking I'll be fishing in the Riverdale area. ND salmon fishing seems so much different from any of the great lakes/ocean salmon fisheries that I'm not really sure what to think or where to start. So I guess I'm looking for any info you guys would be willing to share, baits, lures, depths etc. Thanks in advance guys!

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never fished salmon in ND, but would assume that any tactics or tackle should be the same. Flashers, cow bells, cranks, spoons, etc. should all work. I would try to match the bait and expand from there.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
Take what you know about the Great Lakes and keep it for there totally different fishery. If you are going to use dipseys you will have to stay away from the pack it is tight fishing quarters and you will end up tangled. Flashers and squid, needlefish, or meat rigs are the ticket. Depth can change from day to day and hour to hour. Trust your electronics and talk to the guys out fishing we’re all pretty open with the info. Most fishing is done from deadmans bay south along the east shore and across the face of the dam. You’ll know where to fish when you get there lots of guys. Gets really busy around the first part of August. Any questions just ask. Good luck!

Trolldeep

I have used “tinsel” flies and spoons. Some Great Lake tactics work. But needle fish and flashers seem to do the best around here.
Caught 1 25” today on silver flasher and pink. Talked to one guy said he caught 2.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm all new to Salmon fishing but I bought a boat rigged up with 3 electric down riggers and I plan to put them to good use . I have rods but will need balls, releases and lures. First question is what weight balls and decent releases should I be shopping for ? Any advice would be appreciated.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
I like 10# balls but 8’s work also not much blowback at the speed we fish. I prefer the Scotty releases they are much more user friendly. Any other questions just ask will help with what I can.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Slammin, I'm learning a lot, Balls and releases sound like the easy part. If you were just starting out with $ 100 to throw at lures what would you buy? Thanks in advance.

Trolldeep

Slammin salmon, is it worth it to venture west (5-8 miles west of damn)Last year was my first year so I stuck to the east end. Last few times out for walleyes I would head deep during lunch and mark fish. Got me thinking about giving it a try. I have landed a few salmon off Alcatraz but never consistently. How it happens. I’m bored not catching salmon. I use a Lake Erie tactic for walley. I rig up a crank bait and troll with downrighers in 35-40 FOW. Sometimes it works and I land a walleye. anyway as I drive awaydefeated by the walleyes I’ll run that same crank bait from 40’ until about 75’ down hill. Manage to pick up a few salmon like that.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
With 100 starting tackle budget I’d pick up a few flashers with a handful of squids, salmon flies, the usual stuff to pull behind the flashers. And maybe a “stink bait “ rig for frozen herring. Most of that stuff works and ask around to other salnon fishermen. They are usually the most helpful people you can find. They’ll advise on depth,,where they are at, etc. Especially if you confess you are a newbie! Don’t overlook regular crankbaits to stack above your flashers or just run them b3hindmthe ball. 25-30 years ago when salmon fishing was new we used to get a lot with spoons, especially later in the fall. Sometimes still work well but few use them much more. Nothing works in the tackle box.
Scotty or offshore releases work best and easy to use, but there’s a lot of,releases out there.
You can pick up cannonballs from scuba divers. I just saw a bunch for,sale in Bid Man Online. Cheaper than new.
Cant go wrong from dead mans bay south through Pochant bay through Govt, Riverdale bluffs, spillway, across the dam to the intake. Depth is kind of trial and error but ask around. Used to be able to get a lot of information by calling on channel 16 on marine VHF but less activity now with cell phones, etc.
Good luck. Lots of fun when they are hitting.....a bit boring when they are not!

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sell all you off shore salmon gear and wait till about mid September to mid October when they head back into the bays and fish from shore. Rod with a couple cranks and some spoons and start catching limits.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
Trolldeep it might be worth a try. The salmon chase the smelt around the lake and they like 50 degree water temps. What’s the worst that happens you enjoy a day on the lake? Davey I would get some flashers, squids, needlefish, and a meatrig/herring rig. 100 bucks won’t get you to much tackle is kind of speedy but it will get you started. It’s kind of addicting. As for colors white, blue, and greens are good for flashers. Any other questions just ask.

eliminator

Honored Member
Davey, I might be able to help you out---have some extra salmon stuff laying around that I would sell for cheap---have some flashers, plastic stuff etc If you get to pick city look me up and check it out if you would like. Don't know if it is what you are looking for but a guy tends to accumulate a lot of stuff over the years and have lots of doubles, triples etc.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sell all you off shore salmon gear and wait till about mid September to mid October when they head back into the bays and fish from shore. Rod with a couple cranks and some spoons and start catching limits.
After 5 years of rigger ownership I’d sell mine in a flip of a coin if the wife didn’t enjoy the whiskey coke float n fish style, can fish mid July through August w riggers and pull 1-3 a day then catch 40 w walleye rods and cranks ya already own when timed right, and actually fight the fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88