SB 2315 -Everything's Posted Bill

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
As many of you know, SB 2315 (the “no trespass” or “everything’s posted” bill) was introduced in the ND legislature last Thursday and is already up for a committee hearing by the Senate Ag Committee THIS FRIDAY (1/25). This is strange for two reasons:

1. Rarely does a bill as hotly-debated as SB 2315 get thrown to committee in just a week (I see this as an attempt to blow it past sportsmen, but draw your own conclusions);
  2. It is being reviewed by the Senate Ag Committee, when in the past this same bill was handled by the Natural Resources Committee (I see this as an end-around, or an attempt to try a different or easier path in a “Friendly” committee to get a unanimous recommendation).
There is going to be a lot of game-playing and things are going to move fast in the next few days. In speaking with NDG&F Director Terry Steinwand, he is meeting with Governor Burgum (or his staff) on Monday (1/21) and the Governor will basically tell the G&F what position to take on the bill and how to testify (if at all). I was not optimistic from the discussion and it sounded like the best we’ll get is a “Neutral” from G&F on the bill from what appears to some downward pressure from the Governor and the special interests backing him.

That means that defeating this bill will fall to sportsmen. If you haven’t already, email your legislators and tell them to VOTE NO on SB 2315.

Email the Senate Ag Committee and urge them to issue a DO NOT PASS recommendation on SB 2315 in their hearing on Friday.

When you do email these people, give them a quick two-or-three sentence comment on how SB 2315 detrimentally impacts you, your kids, your hunting activities and provide your take on its impact on hunting and public access in ND.

Senate Ag Committee
Larry Luick – Chair – lluick@nd.gov
Jane Myrdal – Vice Chair - jmyrdal@nd.gov
Kathy Hogan - khogan@nd.gov
Jerry Klein - jklein@nd.gov
Oley Larson - olarsen@nd.gov
Arne Osland - aosland@nd.gov

Make no mistake, we as sportsmen are the away team playing in the Senate Ag Committee’s stadium, a Twins @ Yankees scenario for sure. But there’s no limit to the number of people we can use on our team, and each sportsman’s voice matters in this issue.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Burgum is done as a politician if he gags the game and fish and doesn’t allow their true point of view. If he signs this bill Heidi will have a big chance to take the governors mansion. Hunting is very important to sportsmen and will respond at the ballot box. Be careful what you wish for.....

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have to say the majority of legislators that vote for this will be on the butcher block

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunting and fishing are one of the very few reasons to move to this state and we have a lot of jobs open right now. It doesn't make sense to make it harder to hunt. Particularly for a newcomer.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a portion of what I posted elsewhere.

There are a lot of bad things in this legislative session. It's clear they place more value on the rich non residents than they do residents. Also the automatic posting bill is up again. I only see one winner there and that's the outfitters who charge to hunt. It's simply another move to bring back what is much like market hunting. It will kill things like coyote hunting where you drive for four hours to find tracks crossing in fresh snow, then the range of a coyote is so large he may be hitting four different landowners and three of those are in Arizona. I predict we will loose hunter numbers fast and the legislature will let in more nonresident hunters. I can see in the future more non resident than resident. The other bad thing is if this passes many hunters will blame landowners and farming will loose a majority of the support from hunters that they have had for years.

Let me tell you something disturbing. A fellow who was banned from here would go on nodakangler and agitate and frustrate people to get them to post more extreme reactions. Then he admitted reading those to our legislature.

In the end hunters and farmers are the two big loosers. Outfitters can sit on their fatter wallet and smile.

Edit: They will pull this crap then tell me I am driving the wedge. All the while the further the wedge gets driven the more fat their wallet.

Last edited:

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering if anyone has visited with legislators in the Bis-Man area regarding SB-2315. If so, would you be willing to share any feedback from legislators? Strongly urge everyone to take time today and contact your legislators as well as the above listed members of the Senate Ag Committee. Agree that it will take a uniform voice for Sportsman to be heard in the Senate Ag Committee. I am contacting my legislators today and respectfully letting them know my opposition to the bill and also informing them that their response (or lack of response) will be shared with Sportsman throughout the area.

Mark Mazaheri

NDGF will probably be gagged by Burgum, as Steinwand was forced into meetings with Sanford and Stockmen's Association beginning last April. I get the impression that Sara Otte-Coleman may be forced to remain silent, too.

The database concept is not realist and the sponsors know it. NO farmer or rancher is going to enter the basis for their personal financial statement on a public app. And since a virtually all producers use rented land in their operations, they would be exposing all of their info to anyone-including their neighbors.

However, if the ag groups want to pay for a database, let's give them the option of 1)posting with signs or 2) posting electronically. They will have the same participation -0-.

The bill sponsors have been lobbying other senators- hard. We need to thank the one who voted with against similar legislation last time and ask them to support us again. I believe this is the list.

'rsorvaag@nd.gov'; 'hcanderson@nd.gov'; 'rwardner@nd.gov'; 'jroers@nd.gov'; 'lrobinson@nd.gov'; 'npoolman@nd.gov'; 'mpiepkorn@nd.gov'; 'eoban@nd.gov'; 'cnelson@nd.gov'; 'scottmeyer@nd.gov'; 'tmathern@nd.gov'; 'jmyrdal@nd.gov'; 'rmarcellais@nd.gov'; 'lluick@nd.gov'; 'jlee@nd.gov'; 'galee@nd.gov'; 'dklarson@nd.gov'; 'kkrebsbach@nd.gov'; 'rholmberg@nd.gov'; 'jheckaman@nd.gov'; 'jgrabinger@nd.gov'; 'ddever@nd.gov'; 'dcook@nd.gov'; 'bbekkedahl@nd.gov'

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can see gst testifying and bringing in transcripts of these forums as evidence.

bowhunter12

Founding Member
Founding Member
I emailed my senate rep encouraging him to vote against it and he responded that he is against this bill. He was previously as well. Hope it gets voted down.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDGF will probably be gagged by Burgum, as Steinwand was forced into meetings with Sanford and Stockmen's Association beginning last April. I get the impression that Sara Otte-Coleman may be forced to remain silent, too.

The database concept is not realist and the sponsors know it. NO farmer or rancher is going to enter the basis for their personal financial statement on a public app. And since a virtually all producers use rented land in their operations, they would be exposing all of their info to anyone-including their neighbors.

However, if the ag groups want to pay for a database, let's give them the option of 1)posting with signs or 2) posting electronically. They will have the same participation -0-.

The bill sponsors have been lobbying other senators- hard. We need to thank the one who voted with against similar legislation last time and ask them to support us again. I believe this is the list.

ND Game and Fish (director Terry Steinwand) and ND Tourism (director Sara Otte-Coleman) are agencies set up by the people to perform a function for the people. They should be neutral. The people make the laws and employ State employees to carry out these duties. During hearings, legislators can ask agency directors to testify if they need clarification or an answer. I very much doubt the Governor is placing a gag on Sara Otte-Coleman or Terry Steinwand. Maybe he simply reminded them we the people make the laws.

There are many Bills concerning drivers license, vehicle registration etc. What you never see is several State employees from the Department of Motor Vehicle flooding the sub committee hearings testifying to get what they want. That would be the tail wagging the dog.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND Game and Fish (director Terry Steinwand) and ND Tourism (director Sara Otte-Coleman) are agencies set up by the people to perform a function for the people. They should be neutral. The people make the laws and employ State employees to carry out these duties. During hearings, legislators can ask agency directors to testify if they need clarification or an answer. I very much doubt the Governor is placing a gag on Sara Otte-Coleman or Terry Steinwand. Maybe he simply reminded them we the people make the laws.

There are many Bills concerning drivers license, vehicle registration etc. What you never see is several State employees from the Department of Motor Vehicle flooding the sub committee hearings testifying to get what they want. That would be the tail wagging the dog.
Why is this bill going to the Ag committee? Isn't that the tail wagging the dog too?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG, if a Bill is about outfitting/guiding, yes it goes before the Natural Resources Committee.

This Bill is about agricultural private property.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I contacted, by email, my senator and reps from my district. I also emailed all the members of the Senate Ag Committee. I urge everyone to do the same. Please take the time and make your voice heard... it does matter. This would be very bad if it passes.

It will be interesting if I get any personal responses.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND Flag 2315.jpg
Please Copy and Share on Your FB Page & Twitter.
Tag Your Senators & Representatives Too!

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
TTT.. I haven't posted in awhile, but still like to come check things out. I am glad some people have taken the initiative to post information about this bill. Thanks Mark and Nick.

Folks, the committee hearing is this Friday (1/25) at 8:30 am. If you value our ND hunting heritage, please take the 10 minutes it takes to send a short email to the Senate Ag Committee, your local Representatives, and hell the rest of the Senate whom may very well be voting on SB 2315. Come to the hearing if you are able to make it, and consider testifying.

This bill won’t stop criminals from trespassing and poaching, but will be detrimental to the law abiding sportsmen and women whom love to hunt North Dakota (both residents and non-residents). Let’s enforce existing laws and increase the fines and penalties for trespassing and poaching. Let’s not hinder access to a large amount of land.

In your email, be courteous. Here are some potential talking points:

• This bill will seriously restrict hunting access and reduce hunter numbers, therefore reducing funding for Game and Fish Department, spending in small towns. and spending in big towns (Scheels)

• This bill will put much more pressure on public lands and PLOTS, degrading, and leave wildlife populations unmanaged on posted private land, creating depredation problems.

• NDWF and the Game and Fish Department provide free “Ask Before You Enter” signs to landowners.

• While not dismissing the problems landowners have with hunting on posted land, it is a relatively small issue. Approximate 106 violations per year for over 100,000 hunters over a 4+ month hunting season.

• This bill will not fix the problem! If unethical people hunted on posted land without permission, will there be less trespassing if no land is posted?

• Under this bill, if passed; landowner or renter will still have to file a complaint, appear in court, the State's attorney may or may not decide there is enough evidence to pursue, or may not have the time or want to prosecute no trespass if he/she has more serious cases.

• This bill takes a property rights away from those landowners who do not post.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88