Scope

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
Ive scoped before, but only because I forgot my bios in the pickup. Not that it makes it right, but I kept my shooting hand on the butt of the rifle.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i get the scoping thing. but, most people would never do that with a round in the chamber. it does make a difference doesn't it?

It makes no difference to me at all. I have no idea what "most" people would do.

If someones watching me through a scope on a rifle I have no idea whether or not it's loaded. All I can think of is they're planning on shooting me and I'll respond accordingly.

As I said earlier binoculars are for looking scopes are for shot placement. Anyone using a scope to watch people deserves an ass kicking or a bullet

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get it. It makes me uncomfortable too. But, a gun without a chambered round is no more dangerous than a stick with a spotting scope on top. I would probably chew ass or talk with them about how stupid it is. But, if it was empty, i wouldn't be kicking anyone's ass over it or let it ruin a friendship for life. Not here to argue i guess about it. Just expressing a different point of view.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get it. It makes me uncomfortable too. But, a gun without a chambered round is no more dangerous than a stick with a spotting scope on top. I would probably chew ass or talk with them about how stupid it is. But, if it was empty, i wouldn't be kicking anyone's ass over it or let it ruin a friendship for life. Not here to argue i guess about it. Just expressing a different point of view.

are you tarded? you don't ever point a gun at someone. I'm shocked I needed to say that on here. please buy a pair of binocs

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
nope not ever never. my dad would still kick my ass if he caught me doing that

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a rock to duck behind do that, but if someone scopes you in the open you do consider self defence. I have had bullets close enough to hear them crack. I don't know how close that is.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Something I learned as a kid and then again in the military NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ever point a weapon at anything you don't want to destroy.

Seeing someone at a distance pointing a gun at me all I know is they are planning to shoot me.

If it was "friend" of mine they should damn well know better than to do something like that. I would indeed kick their ass for doing it.

Pointing a gun at someone is a serious business.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wags, i ain't tarded. You know that. And ive never done it myself. I own binoculars better than any scope i own. Just saying i am not gonna kick anyones ass or let it ruin a friendship if they looked at me thru an empty gun. As stupid as it might be. Some folks just probably dont think there is any harm in it since the gun "is empty and all". I would have a talk with him or her and move on with life.

And too even further clarify, i learned the same shit as a kid. But, its quite clear others didn't or we would not be having this discussion. I just think advocating kicking a friends ass or shooting someone in self defense is taking this too the other extreme. Just my opinion. Not saying anyone is wrong. I just disagree.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just saying i am not gonna kick anyones ass or let it ruin a friendship if they looked at me thru an empty gun. As stupid as it might be. Some folks just probably dont think there is any harm in it since the gun "is empty and all". I would have a talk with him or her and move on with life.

Do you know how many people get shot buy an empty gun or by accident? More than a few and I don't want to be one of them.

Getting shot isn't as fun as it sounds or looks on TV.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree but knowing bed wetter i am sure he ment glassing as in using binos or spotter and then using the scope to shoot long

Correct. Glassing and shooting as separate activities with separate devices.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I often buy used scopes. If it's a quality unit from a reputable company you won't have problems. Even if something goes wrong with it, it'll often get repaired for free.

I also prefer scopes with side parallax adjustment when possible. For the money, I like Leupold 4.5-14x40mm. Be sure to get the version with the 30mm tube, not the 1" tube. The 30mm has side parallax adjustment and greater windage and elevation adjustment than the 1" version. Depending on reticle, can be had for $450-525 new.

Another keeper is Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with the MOA reticle. It's a bit heavy at 22oz but a lot of NF scopes are more than 2 lbs. $873 new but can be had for $700-750 used.

My deer rifle has a 1-6x Leupold VX-6. I tend to shoot deer inside 150 yds. I know I'm good out to at least 300 yds with it. Glass is awesome but they don't have many options for reticles. Just saw one with a standard duplex reticle sell used for $560.

- - - Updated - - -

Might find a used VX-6 3-18x44 for as little as $675 with a duplex reticle. Kind of a long bugger but only weighs about 19oz. I like mine.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
An unloaded gun has never shot someone, a dipshit who didn't respect their weapon and the surroundings has killed plenty though!

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
I'd definitely look into primary arms 4-14 acss. I bought one because I fell in love with the reticle after shooting one. The one I've got seems pretty solid, about as good as any other higher end scope I've owned. Think I only paid 250 or so dollars for it and for clarity I'd put it up against a viper any day. I know it's not a very known brand and made in China or wherever overseas, but what isn't these days. Again I've got one on a custom Remington 700 .308 set up for long range and up to 600 yards it's hard to beat.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run leupold VX's and Zeiss conquests on most all my guns. No problems with either and would recommend either. IMO it's the reticle preference and accessories that a guy wants that will make your decision on scopes. Have fun shopping!!!!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
"All guns are loaded" Is one of the first things I was taught and taught my son.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wags, i ain't tarded. You know that. And ive never done it myself. I own binoculars better than any scope i own. Just saying i am not gonna kick anyones ass or let it ruin a friendship if they looked at me thru an empty gun. As stupid as it might be. Some folks just probably dont think there is any harm in it since the gun "is empty and all". I would have a talk with him or her and move on with life.

And too even further clarify, i learned the same shit as a kid. But, its quite clear others didn't or we would not be having this discussion. I just think advocating kicking a friends ass or shooting someone in self defense is taking this too the other extreme. Just my opinion. Not saying anyone is wrong. I just disagree.

I met 5 buddies for breakfast this morning then spent most of the day at the VA along with a visit to my favorite gun store on the way home.

I bought up the question about being "glassed" by a guy using the scope on his rifle.

Out of the 5 guys at breakfast all of them would take that as a threat and thought kicking the guys ass would be light punishment, with shooting back being perfectly acceptable.

At the VA I asked 40 guys and gals in 3 different clinics, 37 out of 40 would consider it a definate threat and that shooting would be justified. All of them thought kicking his ass would be fine.

At my local gun store 13 out of 13 thought getting your ass kicked would be getting off easy and that shooting would be more than justified.

As for ending a friendship over this yes I would, anyone that is a friend of mine would never even think of doing that. What kind of friend would point a gun loaded or unloaded at someone that they didn't plan on shooting.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I met 5 buddies for breakfast this morning then spent most of the day at the VA along with a visit to my favorite gun store on the way home.

I bought up the question about being "glassed" by a guy using the scope on his rifle.

Out of the 5 guys at breakfast all of them would take that as a threat and thought kicking the guys ass would be light punishment, with shooting back being perfectly acceptable.

At the VA I asked 40 guys and gals in 3 different clinics, 37 out of 40 would consider it a definate threat and that shooting would be justified. All of them thought kicking his ass would be fine.

At my local gun store 13 out of 13 thought getting your ass kicked would be getting off easy and that shooting would be more than justified.

As for ending a friendship over this yes I would, anyone that is a friend of mine would never even think of doing that. What kind of friend would point a gun loaded or unloaded at someone that they didn't plan on shooting.

Here's my opinion: you and gst should be locked in a room together like some sort of crazy science experiment. Anyone second the motion?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell yes! I had a once life-long former friend do that shit to me one time while I was hunting in one of our pastures. I was floored when he said he had the cross-hairs on me. He is no longer a friend, nor is he allowed to hunt our land, and was damn lucky to walk away that day with a full set of teeth.

How far away was he?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Shooting back"? At someone who has never fired a shot out of an unloaded gun? So, you see someone glassing you from 200 yards. Stop. Drop. Roll. Fire off a few rounds. Kill someone. Possibly your "friend". Or you get back to the truck 30 minutes later, give em a good old fashioned beat down and you want to claim you were justified in self defense? Like i said... i get the anger... but, good luck with that shit.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 114
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46