Shore Fishing Salmon

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a September hobby, and probably most chance for success would be from Sakakawea State Park on over to the dam and Riverdale area. I've tried them under a bobber over in the bay by the emergency spillway on the east side of the dam a couple times with no takers.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Government Bay, Rodeo Bay and Sakakawea bay. Rodeo being the best for me. Usually mid September through middle of October is the best time. Go super early in the morning. The bite usually is over by 9am. Sometimes a crawler under a bobber does better than eggs. Have not done it in several years but I am sure it is the same.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, it often seems to be an early bite. I've taken the Toon up to the area in the early morning and drifted around casting spoons. I don't know what bugs the salmon are hitting on the water's surface that time of year, but you will often see them swirl and break the water surface until late in the morning. All while ignoring my offerings.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, it often seems to be an early bite. I've taken the Toon up to the area in the early morning and drifted around casting spoons. I don't know what bugs the salmon are hitting on the water's surface that time of year, but you will often see them swirl and break the water surface until late in the morning. All while ignoring my offerings.
I wonder if a fly rod would work?!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the above mentioned spots starting early/mid September

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I remember years ago the gas station in pick city sold egg sacks. Do they still do this?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This lip (Reef Runner):

1722913107202.png

This color:

1722913163442.png

^^^^Sometimes: They're like muskie. I've seen limits caught on ragged 8th oz white curly tail jigs and Rebel Crawfish cranks. They're fickle bastards which should be harvested with dynamite.

^^^^Both times were by middle school kids with the "secret" bait no one else had. I hope they went on to Wall Street.

These salmon bastards have hard mouths; replace/use good hooks:

1722914014472.png

All the above natural bait advice is solid and not 100%. It's more fun IMHO to have your wrist jerked like a popped clutch.

That is all.

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had zero luck using egg sacks up there. Not sure why. Finally decided they weren’t worth the hassle when I have caught limits using lures. And I swear there is no rhyme or reason to what lure they will bite from one year to the next. I’ve seen ten guys fishing along shore with one of the guys hammering the piss out of them and the other nine not getting a bite. The guy was using a crankbait so eventually we were all trying to throw similar cranks to no avail. They definitely liked something about his whatever that was. Salmon frustrate the hell Out of me

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back at the turn of the century:D; there was a fellow in a belly boat heaving a flyrod in the state park. I didn't see him catch a fish. He knew what the hell he was doing and it was fascinating to watch. He could keep 50+ feet of line in the air like nothing. It's was cool to hear it whip and whistle. Pretty sure he was throwing a streamer. I estimated the rod to be an 8wt.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 24