Skeeters

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not the boat...holy cow did they come out in force the last few days in Bismarck! Does Bismarck ever do citywide sprays?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have 100,000,000,000,000 grass hopers per square mile out west, its biblical

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are lucky they showed up late , They don't seem to be doing a lot of damage to our garden , they are in the grass and they can eat all of that that they want, less for me to cut.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been seeing the skeeters more and more as I venture into Lincoln or Bismarck, but here I sit with a large pond out in the backyard and I think I've seen 2 mosquitos at my place all summer. Probably just wrecked that run by mentioning it. What I am concerned about though is as I was trimming some trees last weekend I couldn't help but notice huge swarms of what I presume are the midges (midgets to some of you) responsible for EHD. I'm afraid if we don't get a hard frost locally we will see another outbreak of EHD in the few remaining deer.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not the boat...holy cow did they come out in force the last few days in Bismarck! Does Bismarck ever do citywide sprays?
Yes...they've been brutal the last 2-3 nights. In the Hay Creek area by the walking paths about mid-summer, I did see Parks and Rec drive the paths with a mobile fogging unit, but I doubt they'll be out again. I want to say the city did aerial spraying in the past but not sure.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is bismarck quit spraying because its nearing fall. they have increased in my yard near sleepy hollow park significantly also, I dont mind putting on a little spray though. I dont particularly like the broadcast spraying program the city does. I think it kills a lot of beneficial insects inadvertently.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
I wonder why they are so prevalent right now - It's not like we have gotten any rain recently (besides a few drops last night).

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder why they are so prevalent right now - It's not like we have gotten any rain recently (besides a few drops last night).

Mosquitos tend to live a fairly short life during a VERY specific time of year. The skeeters you see as of late are completely different species than the ones you see in early summer. That's why you don't ever really hear about West Nile virus until mid-late August, the species of mosquitos that carry the virus don't come out to play until then. I'm not sure how many different species we see in ND, but it's certainly more than just a few, but probably less than 20. There's something over 170 species total in the United States.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had that 2-3" downpour on Tues. Aug. 23...takes about 10-12 days for them to hatch...voila...

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not just skeeters, what is with all the flies. And not just around Bismarck, was in the Black Hills in Aug and you would just about get carried away everywhere we went down there.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I really haven’t noticed the skeeters too bad, but the mice seem to be a nuts this year.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is bismarck quit spraying because its nearing fall. they have increased in my yard near sleepy hollow park significantly also, I dont mind putting on a little spray though. I dont particularly like the broadcast spraying program the city does. I think it kills a lot of beneficial insects inadvertently.
All this time as neighbors and didnt even know it. Moved recently out near Menoken though. Too bad. I coulda got in on the group buy.

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have 100,000,000,000,000 grass hopers per square mile out west, its biblical
Saw what looked like an island, while out on the boat on Lake Sakakawea. It turned out to be a mass of hoppers globbed together. Out in the middle of the lake.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33