Snake gaiters

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Down to one jar, kurt. I put a hurting on it last night. I'm guessing the people at the gym this morning didn't appreciate the constant crop dusting.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spend a most of my fishing and hunting time in rattler country, and have seen many. Never had any of them strike or come after me. I am guessing you would about have to step on one to get it to strike at you.I more so worry about the mountain lions, and wolves that of course we don't have. I once had some type of giant eagle(not a bald eagle) chase after me when I came up on it when topping a butte. Fricken bout shit my britches, thing was as big as me, and not happy with the disruption.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
golden_eagle_map_big-1.jpg

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_2015-09-16-11-20-25.jpg
I wear these. Not so much for the snake protection, but I wanted a knee high, waterproof, lace up boot. They are extremely light even in size 14. I wear them out chasing mulies and for bird hunting. Works great for both. I bought them at the red wing store in Bismarck and they put insoles and the heal pads in to get a perfect fit. Only paid for the boots, no charge for the extras. I couldn't be happier with them and the peace of mind doesn't hurt either.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just about any boot is snake proof, snake teeth are sharp, but don't have much pressure to drive them through much more than skin. I just wear my sneakers when out collecting snakes, havn't had a rattler puncture them yet.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rizzo, I'll keep these in mind for next year. Short on time to break a new pair of boots in.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
First choice of gear goes to the one who can sit and listen to my wife read all the harry potter and lord of the rings books from cover to cover.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't seen any pictures. The same rattler goes him twice. Guess it wasn't that bad but his insurance company is claiming they didn't use enough anti-venom to be covered. So I have to keep that in mind. If I get bit, let the snake take his/her time before freaking the f out.

I'll bring trout soup and headphones. I'll be alright.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha. Well if we go by the saying "built for speed," she'd be the bullet train.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
DM,

If you want a pair of snake gaitors to drag along, let me know. I have a set my former in-laws bought for me back when their daughter still liked me. Worn, not tested.

Part of why I have them is that almost 10 years ago I was out there hunting during early bow season (about now). Sure enough, watched a nice buck and handful of does bed down on the upwind side of a butte about a mile and a half from the truck. So I plotted a path to come around the back side of the butte and put myself within 10 yards of the bugger. Fast forward to being on top of the butte and sneaking over to where the buck was bedded, I had to step over a (maybe 18 inch) ledge as I scanned for antlers. No sooner than I stepped over the ledge and I felt a very sharp and stinging pain on the back of my calf. I was like WTF???? Still moving in slow motion, I peered over the ledge to see what the hell was going on and the one thing that IMMEDIATELY stood out was the 4 or 5 rattle of a rattler protruding from underneath my boot.

HOLY FRICKING SHIT, just my luck I had stepped directly on a rattler and the SOB must still be chewing on my calf based on the pain. Problem was, my leg was up against the ledge and I couldn't see the bastard. So I reached the conclusion that I was going to have to reach down and grab the snake to get it off of my leg. At this point, I could see my truck a mile and a half away on top of another butte, this is going to be a very crappy walk out by myself, it took me almost 2 hours to get this far. Anyway, I slowly pulled my leg away from the ledge as I looked for the damn snake.

Long story...short, I had the great misfortune of jamming my damn leg onto a large prickly pear cactus. Even as I saw the cactus, I could still see the rattle poking out from under my boot. What are the odds? I was standing on a perfectly coiled up skeleton of a rattler.

I sat down and took 2-3 minutes after that heart stopper. The buck? Never saw him again.

So final thought, I have gaitors and I have worn them on occasion when hunting alone in the early season. That feeling of seeing the truck so damn far away after having been 100% sure I'd just gotten bit was damn awful.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My nephew has those boots and has been hit twice. He learned not to walk the cow paths that are worn into the ground ten inches. The last rattler came within a half inch of the top. I have killed a dozen with bird shot in my 45 and walking sticks. I think some people just walk and cover a lot more ground than those that don't see them out there.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was all set with just risking it then you two have to come and bring the nerves back out. Last time i was there, we had a freak blizzard in beginning of october so I wasn't worried.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
better safe than sorry?

ratttlesnake_250x188_0jpgitokIkNw9v5-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

do NOT google "rattlesnake bite tissue damage" images

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
my dad got bit when i had my youth tag out in the badlands. Well, more of a scratch really, it went through the upper on his leather boot and basically one fang scratched/barely broke skin. It swelled some but he was fine. I was freaked out beyond belief. Same scenario as above - walking down a deep cut cattle trail.

Ive honestly never really worried too much about it tho. I just steer clear of likely "rattlesnake hides"

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 24
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6