Snobears and active perch

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what I have found when fishing for perch in deep 35+ water, the ice is covered in a foot of snow so there is very little light that makes it through. When test drilling holes looking for active fish, I bring a piece of foam with a 1 inch hole in the middle to allow for me jig. I have found that active perch will come off the bottom much more aggressive then if I jig with covering the hole first. This doesn't mean that I get any takers it just tells me that the light spooks the fish in deep water.
That's why to me it seems that setting up fish house to be able to have the best shot at catching active biters in deep water.
Also being mobile is your best bet when searching for perch and the snobear is the ultimate vehicle
It's been a few years but I have managed to find some bigger schools of hungry perch but I can only seemed to get them to follow the lure up off the bottom either under the fljlover or with my foam circle covering the test hole.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
When fishing shallow water I like to lay about 6 ft from the hole perfectly still and use a summer rod, light action 6'6" and barely twitch the lure when I feel the presence of a fish

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught some walleyes last sunday they were more or less committing suicide since i was able to catch them

Bohica

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't think any light got past 20 ish feet on a clear lake in ND.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like to sit in my wheel house, watching my 20-year old FL-8 and a line from my equally as old Genz rod in that right hand. Add a beer in my left hand and I'm pretty content. Sometimes a fish will bite and wake me from kind of a doze. If I can get off the lake later in the day without getting stuck it's been a good day.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my camera in 32 feet of water on black tiger bay next to the submerged road I could see the gravel easily without turning on my led lights this was under my portable flip over. It was also clear skies I see I guy can pick up a snobear for around 26000 but most likely no trailer. Oh well someday I will own a snobear since I work long hours though the summer months the old starcraft will be just fine.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So this is really about how you want a snowbear and not a new piece of stryofoam?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i got the covering of the hole with a piece of styrofoam part and the fishing in a house instead of outside. but, the inclusion of the snobear into the conversation and the title had me utterly confused. i feel better now. gonna go slay some fish for an hour or two. might pick up some styrofoam on the way.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure you pick up some black paint to paint the styrofoam. That should help on the white snow, so you can find dem dar snowbears after this here storm den dont cha know.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL.. this is dumb post Thursday so...I obliged to the senselessness

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not the stariofoam. You guys that didn't know in the first place how to wait till the perch had the minnow in his mouth before you set the hook have done a good job of educating them. Used to be able to tie a 30# steel leader with a long shank hook and a minnow on chalk line with a bobber the size of a tennis ball and catch perch all day long. Now they spit out a waxie when they feel a spring bobber.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34