Snowmobile

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for an old cheap snowmobile for fishing and potentially pulling a sled with some elk quarters in it. I honestly know nothing about them or what to look for.

Saw an older 90’s Polaris trail sled but the track didn’t seem to have much more than an inch worth of paddles length. Is that normal for a trail sled? I’m not going to be driving it in the mountains in deep powder and am just going to use it for utility. Any 90’s brand or models to avoid?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a Polaris 500 and go. Dead reliable. Short track will be fine unless you are pulling heavy heavy loads, in which case you’ll want a true utilty sled with low gear. Skandics and VK’s fit that bill but are hard to find.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting something with reverse will be beneficial.

What $$$ you looking at?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going to be in the mountains in deep powder plus possibly having elk quarters on it, you need a paddle track.
Lots of used Polaris RMK's out there.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would skip the 90s and look at early 2000's fuel injected Arctic Cats, like a ZR or ZL in the 500 to 600 range.
I like Polaris sleds as well, but in those days, they were pretty much all carbureted, and F that noise.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's your price range? I may know of a 97 Arctic ZR 580, battery less EFI with a studded track.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's your price range? I may know of a 97 Arctic ZR 580, battery less EFI with a studded track.
Ever seen what studs do if you are pulling something. Looks like an ar went to work on whats ever behind you

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ever seen what studs do if you are pulling something. Looks like an ar went to work on whats ever behind you
had sleds with studs and never had a problem. when on ice you can either sit and spin without studs or you can move without problems.

Do you wear cleats on your boots when ice fishing ?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
had sleds with studs and never had a problem. when on ice you can either sit and spin without studs or you can move without problems.

Do you wear cleats on your boots when ice fishing ?
No i dont but i only ice fish once or twice a year any more. Only time there is a problem on ice if its glare but then you are melting hi fax. Had a freiend in high school almost loose any eye from a stud being thown flying out riding in a sled being pulled .

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
No i dont but i only ice fish once or twice a year any more. Only time there is a problem on ice if its glare but then you are melting hi fax. Had a freiend in high school almost loose any eye from a stud being thown flying out riding in a sled being pulled .
A stud ? so your " Looks like an ar went to work on whats ever behind you " was a wee bit exaggerated.

as far as " melting hi fax" they make all sorts of cool little gadgets to prevent that.
1701444992245.png

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A stud ? so your " Looks like an ar went to work on whats ever behind you " was a wee bit exaggerated.

as far as " melting hi fax" they make all sorts of cool little gadgets to prevent that.
1701444992245.png
Have you used the ice scratchers i have and you need to be going pretty damn fast to make them affective. No i have seen sleds that had a bunch of holes in them from studs. Unless you are racing on ice im not a fan of studs in any way. Been behind when we use to run trails alot and had them bounce of the helmet. A 136 with a 1.5" track will do everything studs will but better

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loss of studs like that is rather bizarre.

I installed and ran studs on two sleds for ice fishing for >10 years and never lost one.

Maybe the studs I installed were better somehow?

Studs, scratchers, and carbides on the skis and you're golden for everything but high powder OR slush pockets. Slush is demonic.

WARNING: Studs are hell on sidewalks or driveways - especially if loading onto a tilt trailer. You make that mistake once. : )

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I eventually landed on flexible steel cable scratchers after having mangled the "bent wire" style backing them off the trailer while deployed.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would a 4 wheeler or SxS with tracks do the job you need? Either of those machines can be used year round while a snowmobile can not. Just a thought.
I’m thinking cheap, under 2k. I didn’t use my four wheeler with tracks enough so I ended up selling it.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going to be in the mountains in deep powder plus possibly having elk quarters on it, you need a paddle track.
Lots of used Polaris RMK's out there.
I won’t be using it in that deep of snow because once the snow gets too deep the elk move off the mountain.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84