Snowmobile

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would skip the 90s and look at early 2000's fuel injected Arctic Cats, like a ZR or ZL in the 500 to 600 range.
I like Polaris sleds as well, but in those days, they were pretty much all carbureted, and F that noise.
For as much as I am going to use it I don’t think I necessarily need fuel injection. I want to keep it under 2k.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If carb'd, you're nuts not to install a hand primer fuel pump.

Cheap and easy game changer for starting older sleds IMO.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loss of studs like that is rather bizarre.

I installed and ran studs on two sleds for ice fishing for >10 years and never lost one.

Maybe the studs I installed were better somehow?

Studs, scratchers, and carbides on the skis and you're golden for everything but high powder OR slush pockets. Slush is demonic.

WARNING: Studs are hell on sidewalks or driveways - especially if loading onto a tilt trailer. You make that mistake once. : )
Might be that my experience with them is with high hp sleds. We were generally spinning them at the top of the power band. The few times we used them to pull a sled we smoked belts as they definitely were not clutched for that. Zrt, Mach z, Vmax 4 , xlt or xc piped and sometimes different engines all together . So I could see how just going slow pulling something they would not throw studs. I have something genetically in me that I have to squeeze it to the handle bar. Main reason I never owned a motor cycle.

Ss34ever

Looking for an old cheap snowmobile for fishing and potentially pulling a sled with some elk quarters in it. I honestly know nothing about them or what to look for.

Saw an older 90’s Polaris trail sled but the track didn’t seem to have much more than an inch worth of paddles length. Is that normal for a trail sled? I’m not going to be driving it in the mountains in deep powder and am just going to use it for utility. Any 90’s brand or models to avoid?
Where you looking to pick one up?

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Miles out on the ice and you want to rely on a sled from the 90s to get you back to the ramp? How high are you sir?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member

Santa's Sleigh Is For Sale Right Now And It's Made By Polaris​

1701460072162.png

1701460201327.png

1701460242584.png

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Miles out on the ice and you want to rely on a sled from the 90s to get you back to the ramp? How high are you sir?
Ever watch Mountain Men on Discovery ? Theirs aren't exactly what I would call fresh and there out on 30 mile trapping lines. Gotta know the "ins and outs" of your machine.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ever watch Mountain Men on Discovery ? Theirs aren't exactly what I would call fresh and there out on 30 mile trapping lines. Gotta know the "ins and outs" of your machine.
It’s also a reality tv show so take that what it’s worth.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the elk move down when the snow gets deep. I was just quoting what you wrote and that is why I recommended a paddle track.
At what point do you think a trail sled wouldn’t work? 1’, 2’ of powder? No opposed to something with deeper paddles but figured a utility sled would
Be better for pulling a sled. Honestly I need it to get around when the snow gets too deep for trucks so that my only competition is other tracked rigs. To get to the top of the mountain is groomed snowmobile trails.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would I have to be careful trying to pull a whole elk carcass in a sled? Would like to avoid doing something to burn /nblow a belt!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heavy pulling could be tough with many trail sleds. I’d look for an old Skandic 550 WT/SWT or Yamaha VK. They have a 2 speed low range transmission and are meant to pull.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After all the $250 Scopinos i bought and ended up a week in the hospital because of one and an evergreen tree am lucky to walk again, it still took me a few years to give my sleds away and go side by side. db

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
At what point do you think a trail sled wouldn’t work? 1’, 2’ of powder? No opposed to something with deeper paddles but figured a utility sled would
Be better for pulling a sled. Honestly I need it to get around when the snow gets too deep for trucks so that my only competition is other tracked rigs. To get to the top of the mountain is groomed snowmobile trails.
Traxion is right on the utility sled if you are pulling. The other factor is the sled is only as good as the rider.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84