Spotting Scope recomendations

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seen quite a few places have closeout deals on the old model razors, are the vipers way behind the razor in clarity?I have a 20-60x80 now and hate lugging the thing around is my thinking going with a smaller glass that and most of the time my spotter is on 20x when i am glassing.

Last edited:

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
So anything change in the last year, I'm leaning towards a razor 11-33x50 or viper 15-45x65 I'm looking to stay around 600ish to grand anything you guys want to add to the previous posts

I purchased the 11-33x50 before last hunting season and I loved it. I used it all the time scouting, hunting, and works great at the gun range. I have nothing bad to say about it and loved that it wasn't so big and bulky.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Redesigned razors just came out so you can get the big 85 for good price. I think the 65 can be had for a real good price.

Yep have seen the razors on sale, do you know what the new/redesigned razors have that the current ones don't updated glass?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
what are some vortex razor class glass and some above other than leica swaro, something a lot of us or just me might not have heard of or seen in the local sporting goods stores. Where does the viper HD fall in?

- - - Updated - - -

kind of looking for the if you were going to buy a viper/razor hd why didn't you just get this it's the same thing only cheaper a lot of these brands I haven't seen hands on (Athlon,meopta,hawke,etc)

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Swarovski, Vortex, or Maven. I've never looked through the mavens, but have heard some great things about them. I have the swaro 20-60 65mm HD and like it. Not saying it's any better than the vortex razor. For the money, I think it's pretty tough to beat vortex. Straight vs. angled depends more on the intended use. Are you going to be sitting in a truck using a window mount, or hiking with it? I prefer the straight for use out of the truck, but the angled is nice while hiking in the mountains and glassing at various elevations.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
5575 & Mr Nice, are you saying he should buy a used swaro or other "high end" over a new vortex? I must be missing something on this whole debate every time it comes up. I run a Vortex Razor HD 20-60X85 Angled. The guy I hunt with runs a Swaro with the exact same specs. Side by Side neither one of us has yet to come up with what the major difference is causing the huge $$ differential between the two.

Item B, With that said, my opinion is save a couple more dollars and go with Vortex HD. Or go with a little less power Vortex for the $$ you have now. As far as straight or angled it is a personal choice as to what's comfortable with you and how you glass. Go to Scheels or Cabelas or who ever sells them in your area and look through them. Tell them to get the tripod out and go outside and look through them, bring two tripods so you can put 2 scopes side by side. This is the best way you will be able to tell if you can justify the price difference between them. Good Luck.

I did this same exact thing. Was needing a high quality spotter and wanted to have both side by side to see if the extra money was worth it. Took one buddy's Razor HD and another's Swaro. Needless to say I spent the money on the Swaro. The eye relief for me was night and day difference between the 2. I could look through the Razor for about 45 seconds before the eye strain was significant. The swaro I could look through for 5 minutes and have zero issues.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard the meostars are great. I have used my razor side by side with an 5 year old swaro and it gave up nothing. Now the new one the atx I believe wins and it should for what it costs. The difference between viper and razor is noticeable. I don't where glasses so eye relief is a non issue for me I spend alot of time behind mine and like it.

Now the new ones have new glass and also redesigned focus. Reports are they are good piece of glass. I see cabels now has vortex Making a line for them and it has been said it is between the razor and viper.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 is a damn solid choice. I have owned one for years and really like it. I might trade up in a few years for a Swavoroski with an 80 mm objective.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep that gold ring is a heck of a good little scope and very packable.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 is a damn solid choice. I have owned one for years and really like it. I might trade up in a few years for a Swavoroski with an 80 mm objective.
This is one that I really am looking hard at too, but the razor is cheaper and I didn't notice much difference other than the extra 7x

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is one that I really am looking hard at too, but the razor is cheaper and I didn't notice much difference other than the extra 7x

Check out buying a used one. You can find them for a decent price sometimes on bisman.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Camofire currently has two Vortex spotting scopes up for sale. If you are in the market, might be good to check them out. Only on sale for another 30 minutes I think.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67