Spotting Scope recomendations

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guys I think it's time for me to get a good spotting scope. Have a older hand me down nikon spotter that has seen its better days. What should I be looking for when getting a spotting scope? Would like it to be $1000 or cheaper is even better but want to get something that will last and be good glass. Or am I better off saving up a few more pennies and going with a high end spotter? Ideally I would like to know and get the best spotting scope for the money.

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would recommend searching for a used high end scope such as a Leica or Swarovski. If you search enough you can find some good deals and personally I think the end glass is worth it. No need to worry on the used ones as they will carry a solid warranty just need to make sure the glass isn't scratched. My 2 cents.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure to get HD optics also. I have an iphone adapter for my swaro spotter and that HD glass really makes for great pics and vids.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would agrwe with botH Mr nice and Enslow. As for actual glass, Vortex HD is a very good value. That's what I plan on buying.

- - - Updated - - -

Specifically the Razor HD.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You won't be disappointed with.the razor every time I look through it I am happy.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Straight or angled eyepiece(what are the advantages and disadvantages of each)? The one I am using now is straight I normally am using it on a tripod sitting on top of hill or mounted to the pick up window. Greenie and Kurtr what zoom and obj. diameter do you guys have with the razor?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the straight 20-60 with a 85mm objective. I use a straight one just my preference some like angled better. Look on camera land.com you can find.demos for.a.good.deal.

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a straight 20-60 x 77mm Leica and switched to a 16-48 x 62mm angled last year. I wanted something lighter to pack in and honestly never cranked the scope up all the way anyways so not missing the higher magnification. I like the angled better for sitting as you can keep the tripod lower and it's more comfortable for me. It's a coin toss with a window mount for me. Watch the classifieds on 24hourcampfire

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leica does make one of the best, but. They only warranty their glass to the original owner, something to consider. And for the price of that Vortex you can buy a used swaro if you look around. Vortex is good glass but I feel its over priced for Asian glass. Several companies from China and Japan make scopes with that quality at about half the price. I guess that's how vortex affords the no question warranty maybe. Kowa, Pentax, Zen Ray, high end Nikon, Leupold, Minox and many others all make darn good scopes for less. But as time goes by it seems sooner or later you wind up with German glass.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
5575 & Mr Nice, are you saying he should buy a used swaro or other "high end" over a new vortex? I must be missing something on this whole debate every time it comes up. I run a Vortex Razor HD 20-60X85 Angled. The guy I hunt with runs a Swaro with the exact same specs. Side by Side neither one of us has yet to come up with what the major difference is causing the huge $$ differential between the two.

Item B, With that said, my opinion is save a couple more dollars and go with Vortex HD. Or go with a little less power Vortex for the $$ you have now. As far as straight or angled it is a personal choice as to what's comfortable with you and how you glass. Go to Scheels or Cabelas or who ever sells them in your area and look through them. Tell them to get the tripod out and go outside and look through them, bring two tripods so you can put 2 scopes side by side. This is the best way you will be able to tell if you can justify the price difference between them. Good Luck.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saying vortex is as good as swaro is like saying a chevy cavalier is as good as a BMW.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will set my razor up next to any swaro and we can.see if there is a discernable difference it's better than the older non hd swaro and the guys that have done this haven't been able to tell with the hd ones but maybe we suck. Just food for.thought but razors are assembled in Wisconsin with Japanese glass. Haven't had a chance to see the new swaro that just came out heard with the ranging reticle it is stellar.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Comparison may be a little extreme!! I think we could argue all day about each and which is better and why, but lets not:;:deadhorse

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50. I searched for a good year before I went on my elk hunt in CO last fall. I wanted something light, small and that I could pack around anywhere. I was on ebay every single day for 6 months, and there really wasn't anything used (at that time) for under $1000 that wasn't beat to piss, as far as Swaro was concerned. There is a difference between Swaro and a HD vortex. I've put them side by side recently, last week when we were spotting a few deer. The Swaro is slightly better, but it doesn't blow it (Vortex HD) out of the water by any means. Low light conditions was about the only time you could tell a difference, during the day hours, very comparable. The Swaro was also a larger scope so I know that the bigger mm did help it some with gathering light. I have been beyond happy with my purchase of the Razor HD for $700. Now, if a guy is looking for more of a 60-80 mm optic, I think a good used Swaro would be solid, but in the end, lifetime warranty on the razor combined with their great customer service is great too. Either way I think a guy is going to be happy. As far as angled or straight, I do alot of digiscoping now, and the angled is great. All of my past scopes were straight, but I for surely have liked the angled better over the past year or so.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's reason enough that I never have to look through or own one.

You are slipping took way to long to post that

- - - Updated - - -

Should be a whole bunch for sale in nd since no one.Got.a.deer license

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look Vortex is good glass no doubt about it, I like it. But if you think its the only gig in town at that price you are dreaming and haven't looked at all the other glass that has caught up just like vortex did. Many at a lot less than what Vortex sells their Razor HD stuff for. Like I said that warranty is costing them allot of money so they pass that on to the consumer. Most everyone now has darn solid warranty programs.
Heck I think the Vortex HD spotter and the Zen Ray are made in the same darn place in Asia.

spotting vor.jpgspotting zen.jpg

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
China (Zen Ray) Vs. Japan (vortex) glass. Im sure there isnt much of a difference though.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
To many choices which is a good think for the consumer when it comes to prices but horrible for me to make a decision;). I have been reading a lot of the vortex razor which has gotten great reviews and seems to be a popular pick for best buy for the money. Them zen ray optics get great reviews from the bird watchers too.
Anybody ever look through the cabelas instinct euro? They are $2300 but can get 20% back in points making it $1800 because I'm sure I will eventually spend a few hundred dollars at cabelas through the hunting/ice fishing season. Don't have a cabelas near me to go and look through one myself. Just thinking if go with the vortex which is $1600, is the cabelas spotter worth the extra $200?

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure to shop around. I got the 65mm razor HD with black case for $900 . Coulda got the 85mm HD for 1200 I believe

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76