Spring Tree Planting

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in Ohio, russian olives are a major pain. Berries are great for animals but they just take over everything. If you like hot horseradish, grind it and let it sit for several minutes before you add the vinegar. The vinegar stops the oxidation reaction that generates the sinus clearing compounds. The longer you wait, the better for my tastes. If you like rhubarb pie, you will likely like gooseberry pie, they are pretty tart. I always got a rhubarb pie instead of cake when I was younger, love it. I'm pretty handy at canning stuff, anyone needs help saving an ample harvest, I am willing to help for a small share of the goodies!

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you do plant fruit trees I do suggest putting the tubes around the base I've had damn rodents chew the bark off at the bases and kill my 8' apple trees

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey GST. Welcome aboard!! Promise to play nice and you might be able to stay, LOL!!! Yep, we tried blueberries, but I think our soil is to heavy. We have a massive amount of clay in our soil and I don't think the blueberries like that at all. Never tried blackberries, but who knows. Maybe we'll shove a few of those in the ground too. We haven't tried apricot trees yet. Taking baby steps with our orchard and pear is the next on the list. My Uncle used to say "You plant a tree for the kids, not yourself." and he was sooooo right. If we keep raising chickens, I doubt we will ever see enough gooseberries to do anything with but say "Oh, look, a gooseberry!" LOL!

Blueberries wont grow because the require acidic soil and our is very alkaline, but you can grow them in containers quite easily so that is an option. Gooseberries are usually easy to propogate, you can just layer them if you dont need a bunch of babies, or take cuttings....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 158
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79