Steel Roofing

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Hey all,

Looking for recommendation's for companies that do steel roofing in the bisman area and ones to stay away from? Looks like the house and shop will be getting new roofs.

TIA,

ktm450

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey all,

Looking for recommendation's for companies that do steel roofing in the bisman area and ones to stay away from? Looks like the house and shop will be getting new roofs.

TIA,

ktm450
Why Steel ?
What type of steel ?
Are you replacing hailed asphalt?

While steel typically won't leak over time from hail damage it will still dent which is more visible than asphalt.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey all,

TIA,

ktm450
Anyleaks for stone coated steel or asphalt..i would stay away from newtech construction.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of new steel roofs are guarantied for pretty big hail. Cant remember some of my friends who have it. Think Cloten siding and window (Tommy) some of commercial guys use heavy gauge steel too. I passed was 4 times the price, but you do get big Insurance discount I found out and same with better metal or fancy shingles.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep price is way higher but Ins. discounts, why I'm not sure.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep price is way higher but Ins. discounts, why I'm not sure.
I would be curious how much discount vs cost. 4 times higher (as posted above)would never justify the price..let's say roof is 10k for asphalt. 4 times that is 40k. Subtract the 10k for asphalt and your left with 30k difference. Over 30 years that's 1k per year. So you would have to justify over 30 years the 1k reduction. At 10k for asphalt my guess would be the house has a value of 300-400k, obviously this is very very objectionable. So let's say insurance per year is 2k per year...Doubt it would ever pay off. If anybody gets some actual numbers post them up as I and I am sure a large number of us are curious. I don't need a new roof but never know about next year.

Also if anyone has the stone coated roof..how is the sound vs asphalt. I hear steel can be pretty loud but haven't hear anything about atone coated steel.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be curious how much discount vs cost. 4 times higher (as posted above)would never justify the price..let's say roof is 10k for asphalt. 4 times that is 40k. Subtract the 10k for asphalt and your left with 30k difference. Over 30 years that's 1k per year. So you would have to justify over 30 years the 1k reduction. At 10k for asphalt my guess would be the house has a value of 300-400k, obviously this is very very objectionable. So let's say insurance per year is 2k per year...Doubt it would ever pay off. If anybody gets some actual numbers post them up as I and I am sure a large number of us are curious. I don't need a new roof but never know about next year.

Also if anyone has the stone coated roof..how is the sound vs asphalt. I hear steel can be pretty loud but haven't hear anything about atone coated steel.
Yep, didn't see the benefit when had mine done a few yrs ago. Roof will outlast my lifespan unless disaster.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Replaced asphalt shingles last fall with metal roof. Metal were on the higher level (heavier steel and no screws visible. Cost was a little higher than asphalt but installation was quicker so overall cost was a little higher for steel but not multiple times higher.

There is a discount on insurance for steel roofs but the repay over asphalt will take awhile. For me I liked the looks of the steel over asphalt and a few other advantages. Will the steel be better over it's lifetime, or my lifetime for that matter. Perhaps not, I just liked it better. Or I probably won't know until I see how many hail storms travel through. Considering I've only had this home go though 1 in the past 20 years I might never know which is best.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had my third bad hail storm in 5 years on the 27th of July. Adjuster hasn't been here yet so I don't know how the new shingles from last year held up. Siding on the south side of the house looks like someone was patterning their shotgun on it. Also blew down one of the trees in my back yard. I was down in the mountains in Colorado when it happened and the neighbor called to tell me about it so I came home early. My insurance agent told me several years ago the the company raised the rates in my area because the hail storms we get nearly every year made us a high risk area.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time I had to reroof a home, it was some $17k. That was on a 2300 sqft home, so roughly an uncomplicated roof over an 1150 sqft home, plus a two stall garage. So, maybe 25-30 square overall. That was around 2008.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Why Steel ?
What type of steel ?
Are you replacing hailed asphalt?

While steel typically won't leak over time from hail damage it will still dent which is more visible than asphalt.

I had put steel on when the house was built. When i was building the steel roof was about double that of shingles, but most of that was in labor as its very time consuming when you have 7 valleys, 5 different peaks and 3 different roof lines all tied together. So when i decided to do the steel roof myself the first time it made sense for me to upgrade to steel vs asphalt shingles. After i did it the first time i said never again, hence looking for recommendations on companies to come do it. lol

It now looks like a dimpled golf ball. Ridges and peaks flattened out. Im on a hill and where the house is always catching the wind. I never wanted to have to worry about shingles blowing off or having to replace the roof after every hail storm. (my neighbors with asphalt roofs are coming up on there 2nd and 3rd times replacing) This is the first time it will be replaced in 8 years. I wouldnt be replacing it if the tennis ball hail would have stayed away.

Current roof is menards pro rib tin, exposed fastener. As far as the replacement, im open to options as long as it a steel roof.
roof1.jpg

roof 2.jpg

roof 3.jpg

roof 4.jpg

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ins. Companies usually have a listing of contractors whom they know do quality work.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I replaced my roof years ago my contractor made a comment about finding a happy balance in the shingle you use. If it's a super durable shingle, you'll still likely end up with some damage but not enough to get a replacement from insurance. Yet, obviously you don't want to get a shit shingle either... Going on 10 years with my shingles, so far so good, should be plenty of life left in them yet.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had my third bad hail storm in 5 years on the 27th of July. Adjuster hasn't been here yet so I don't know how the new shingles from last year held up. Siding on the south side of the house looks like someone was patterning their shotgun on it. Also blew down one of the trees in my back yard. I was down in the mountains in Colorado when it happened and the neighbor called to tell me about it so I came home early. My insurance agent told me several years ago the the company raised the rates in my area because the hail storms we get nearly every year made us a high risk area.
Would they drop a guy if he had 3 claims in 5 years? That would freak me out!

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I replaced my roof years ago my contractor made a comment about finding a happy balance in the shingle you use. If it's a super durable shingle, you'll still likely end up with some damage but not enough to get a replacement from insurance. Yet, obviously you don't want to get a shit shingle either... Going on 10 years with my shingles, so far so good, should be plenty of life left in them yet.
What's a shit shingle and a good shingle?

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would they drop a guy if he had 3 claims in 5 years? That would freak me out!
I've had so many claims since I moved to Mandan in 2000 that I've lost count. At least half a dozen vehicles totaled out and 2 total losses on my shingles along with 4 or 5 claims for siding and wind damage. They have always been very quick to pay and very generous with their allowances although they did raise some of my deductibles over the years. Last year the deductible for my house damage was $1500 but when I called the other day the secretary told me my deductible was $2000. I asked her when it changed and she said it's been $2000 for years. We are going to have further discussion on that when the adjuster shows up. I totaled up my claims a couple of years ago and they have paid me over $70,000 not counting the most recent damage last Saturday. Have never heard a word about dropping me. Also had various other claims before I moved to Mandan. Had a lightning strike take out my TV, VCR and answering machine one time and as I have replacement value insurance on my household contents they paid for new items even though my stuff was several years old. Can't bitch about that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 72
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 24