Steel Roofing

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had so many claims since I moved to Mandan in 2000 that I've lost count. At least half a dozen vehicles totaled out and 2 total losses on my shingles along with 4 or 5 claims for siding and wind damage. They have always been very quick to pay and very generous with their allowances although they did raise some of my deductibles over the years. Last year the deductible for my house damage was $1500 but when I called the other day the secretary told me my deductible was $2000. I asked her when it changed and she said it's been $2000 for years. We are going to have further discussion on that when the adjuster shows up. I totaled up my claims a couple of years ago and they have paid me over $70,000 not counting the most recent damage last Saturday. Have never heard a word about dropping me. Also had various other claims before I moved to Mandan. Had a lightning strike take out my TV, VCR and answering machine one time and as I have replacement value insurance on my household contents they paid for new items even though my stuff was several years old. Can't bitch about that.
Who is your insurance through?

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
@Ponyroper
What company is your house insured threw? Progressive? State Farm? Who?
Nodak Mutual Morton County. Scott Wilkens on Memorial Highway (the Strip). My house insurance is a little higher than at some of the other insurance companies but I have replacement value on everything and high valuations on the house and property. I created a spreadsheet a few years ago listing every item I own, from pots and pans to screwdrivers in the garage. I put a replacement value (usually what I paid for it-new or used) and gave the list to my agent for a reference. I was dumbfounded at how much it all added up to. Would never have guessed how much I've spent over a lifetime of accumulating toys and tools. I have compared my vehicle rates to other companies over the years and none of them could come close to the rates I have with Nodak. That said I will say my auto rates had only gone up very small amounts until about a year ago when they nearly doubled. From my research it seems all auto insurers have made huge increases in their rates in the last few years mainly due to the huge increase in auto repair charges and most of those increases are due to the complicated technology in the new cars. Even a minor bumper thumper costs thousands because of all the sensors and computers in the cars. Everything is plastic now and there is no more pounding out a dent and repainting anything. Every cracked or broken part has to be replaced and the sensors/computers recalibrated. I bought a 2023 Toyota Hybrid last year and that jumped the bill for my 3 vehicles more than 50% alone. I shudder to think what a repair bill might cost me after the warranty's run out. Might be worth trading in for a new model every 3 years just to have a factory warranty.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lot of people going back to leasing for that very reason.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had put steel on when the house was built. When i was building the steel roof was about double that of shingles, but most of that was in labor as its very time consuming when you have 7 valleys, 5 different peaks and 3 different roof lines all tied together. So when i decided to do the steel roof myself the first time it made sense for me to upgrade to steel vs asphalt shingles. After i did it the first time i said never again, hence looking for recommendations on companies to come do it. lol

It now looks like a dimpled golf ball. Ridges and peaks flattened out. Im on a hill and where the house is always catching the wind. I never wanted to have to worry about shingles blowing off or having to replace the roof after every hail storm. (my neighbors with asphalt roofs are coming up on there 2nd and 3rd times replacing) This is the first time it will be replaced in 8 years. I wouldnt be replacing it if the tennis ball hail would have stayed away.

Current roof is menards pro rib tin, exposed fastener. As far as the replacement, im open to options as long as it a steel roof.
roof1.jpg

roof 2.jpg

roof 3.jpg

roof 4.jpg
That is your basic lower priced steel roof, estimates I got was for way heavier and all smooth hench difference in price and it can take hail up to golf ball size roughly it was 4X price 6 years ago. I am like guy above have had 8 claims in my 35 years since built new and never any issues about dropping me normal price increase as always through years. State Farm is big time in hole for all my buildings.

mikef

★★★★ Legendary Member
I do not think insurance companies can raise your individual rate based upon an “ Act of God” claim

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I do not think insurance companies can raise your individual rate based upon an “ Act of God” claim
i asked my insurance agent that exact question, and unfortunately they can so he tells me

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to look it up but i got a like a 1/3 of my homeowners bill down by using hail resistent aslphalt shingles. Plus wind too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 82
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 25