Stratos Boats

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with Stratos boats? Wondering if they are a decent fiberglass boat with any known issues. I know they are not a Ranger or warrior but how do they ride in comparison to aluminum boats. Looking at some 1760 and 18’ models.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no experience with them but I believe they have ceased production so just take that into account when purchasing and future resale value. If your looking at a Stratos with an Evenrude G2 you better be getting one heck of a deal haha.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I've fished out of my buddy's Stratos 386XF a few times. I think that one is a 18.5'. Nice boat, I haven't heard any complaints.

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO that is the type of boat to go for these days. The 386xf and 326xf are both nice boats. The new Triton 18.5' boats use the same hull as the Stratos 386xf. It's the same exact boat, pretty much.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no experience with them but I believe they have ceased production so just take that into account when purchasing and future resale value. If your looking at a Stratos with an Evenrude G2 you better be getting one heck of a deal haha.
Same parent company is over triton and nitro boats. Supposedly they still stand behind them

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Same parent company is over triton and nitro boats. Supposedly they still stand behind them

That is the current situation. A little interesting history about stratos & triton boats. Stratos boats was originally formed by Earl Bentz back in the 80s. Earl then sold Stratos to OMC (Evinrude / Johnson) and became President of OMC fishing boat company. He then started Javelin boats shortly after under OMC. Earl and several key individuals left OMC in the mid 90s and then started started Triton boats.

All of the brands under OMC were all sold off when OMC went bankrupt in 2000. not sure where stratos went at that time. Triton was sold to Brunswick in 2005'ish and earl went to brunswick with that sale. Triton was then sold to Platinum Equity Marine Group around 2010. Platinum was the same group that at that time had Ranger and Stratos and this is where stratos and triton, both early bentz originated boats, were united. Finally, in 2015, platinum equity sold their fishing boat business to White River Marine Group which is good ol' Johnny Morris. Earl remained at Brunswick until 2018.

Earl has now started Caymas Boats which you have likely seen pop up over the last handful of years.

I probably have a timeline or item or two off a little but it's interesting a few key individuals in the boat building business that seem to keep circling. Forrest Woods family, Randy Hooper that was CEO of Ranger and now starting Vexas boats, Earl Bentz with Caymas, and Johnny Morris just being purchasing behemoth in the outdoor world to name a few.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
What would you say were the major differences/improvements when you moved to your angler?
Well my 386xf was a 2008, and the Angler is a 2019, so the age difference, of course.

The Angler has a better fit and finish and handles big water better due to it being bigger, but they fish very similar unless you are a guy that fishes up front a lot. The size difference is mostly in the front triangle.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran a 386xf for about 5 years. it had a 200 yammi on it and I absolutely loved it. Only reason I sold it is because prices on used boats have been through the roof and with us building a new house I knew I wouldn't get to use it enough to justify keeping it... If they were still in business, I would definitely buy another one when I am ready to buy again. I never had any issues with mine. One thing that I absolutely loved about it was like Vollmer said, the Cabin area was great in its size and I loved the size of the livewell.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting thread. Proof that personal style comes into play. When I was last boat shopping I looked at a Stratos and saw the smaller bow which is where I fish primarily from so it was not a good fit for me.

walleyewanker

Interesting thread. Proof that personal style comes into play. When I was last boat shopping I looked at a Stratos and saw the smaller bow which is where I fish primarily from so it was not a good fit for me.
Definitely comes down to preference. I'm opposite. I don't need a dance floor up front for just one person. Give me the room in back where it's multiple people fishing.

Founding Member
Founding Member
100% this ☝️☝️

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buying a boat with an evenrude is like taking your ex back or the same as trying to put shit back up your ass.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buying a boat with an evenrude is like taking your ex back or the same as trying to put shit back up your ass.

My brother and i both bought boats (his is newer) - he has dumped thousands into his merc -- me nuttin. I replace my own plugs and i did my impeller one going on 12 years on my evenrude . Mine has twice the hours he has on his. Then my bud who has the merc on his toon - just out of warranty and the alt went out this summer and ruined a trip

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also run a 386FX with a Merc 150 four stroke. Mainly fish Missouri from Bis south and Sak. Not the fastest boat but works well for me. Also not a dry boat in rough water. Like the boat and no issues so far.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is the Stratos on the same level as Triton, Nitro, Larsen and skeeter when comparing fiberglass? I’m assuming Ranger, Warrior, Lund gl, and Yarcraft are the top tier.

For a ten year old used boat could a guy even go back to the manufacturer if problems developed?

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Son has a 19' Skeeter and I believe that his Skeeter handles rough water better than my 386FX.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is the Stratos on the same level as Triton, Nitro, Larsen and skeeter when comparing fiberglass? I’m assuming Ranger, Warrior, Lund gl, and Yarcraft are the top tier.

For a ten year old used boat could a guy even go back to the manufacturer if problems developed?
"level" --- they said on the live feed this am that WOT was right around 53mph for the Tin boat that just won the Bassmaster Classic. Boat smoat. Plus the guy had small screens on the front. Cinder fknk rella

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75