String Trimmers

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an old 2 stroke gasser. And a cheap battery trimmer. I much prefer the gas. It is actually quite a bit lighter then the battery, and much better power. The wife likes the battery one.

If i was buying today I'd look at Stihl gas, or Milwaukee battery.

This. I have had a stihl trimmer for 3 years. Starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull EVERY TIME. Best trimmer ive ever owned. Plus you get the little jugs of oil from stihl and use one jug to one gallon tank of gas and that will last you all summer.

I live on 10 acres and use it a LOT, so would consider this a reliable opinion

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a weed eater 2stroke -- the thing lasted for years -- you would run water through that bitch and it would run like a charm. i generally use 91octane and packet of synthetic and they really do not smoke bad. Something with the drive line went out -- i purchased a new one and it is different to hold (the old one was much better) plus its a pos to start. I have Ryobi battery trimmer - it works good -- good enough -however i still need gas sometimes during the summer.

Come on Trump - - pass a law --- no ethanol allowed. Make America great again ---NOPE -- ok i wont buy a red hat that they have here in town with the street vendors.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump promised that the administration would allow E15 fuel — a gasoline mixture that's 15 percent ethanol — to be sold year-round

- - - Updated - - -

ick --- how many times do they poor the 87 ethanol stuff in the non ethanol tanks?

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTF is a "string-trimmer"? We always called them "weed-wackers" which sounds cooler so that must be right.

My 2 stroke craftsman that I bought 8 years ago and have always hated really needs to be replaced and I have considered cordless but with 3 acres I am unsure if I am asking too much from a cordless one.

- - - Updated - - -

Great topic, I got two 2 stroke gassers, both will run. I have trouble using up all the damn fuel before it goes stale. Does Seafoam work as a fuel stabilizer or is Stabil have that aspect all to themselves? and I hate our chain link fence, string eating f'n sob. Wonder what the blades and chain link would be like.

TruFuel states that their fuel lasts for 5 years on the shelf and two years after the container has been opened. This is all I use now for my ice auger and weed wacker. A little more expensive but I feel like I am at a point in my life where I can splurge on the higher quality fuel...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worm,yes sea foam will do the trick on fuel or and better yet non-ox fuel,zero ethanol and 92% octane,no gas seperation and your small engine will run alot better,same with chain saw's,atv's etc.

This topic came up last year as my craftsman single string died,few guyz gave the nod to "echo" trimmer,about half the price of stihl and run's like a champ,paid $125/last summer,oh and as stated the 50to1 mix is a peice of cake,add 2oz of two stroke oil(comes in a small bottle so no measuring) most come with stabl in the oil to 1gal of gas,good for the summer and then some.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
51BhdOkwbbL._AC_SY400_.jpg. Trimmer auger chain saw one gas tank no worries

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have / have had both gas 2 & 4 stroke trimmers along with a cordless electric. They all have their place. I use the electric at the lake where I only have 10 minutes or so of trimming to do. I have a 56V Ego that I bought from home depot a few years ago when they were closing them out. Not a lick of trouble with it, works well for regular grass/weed trimming around fences, and misc stuff and it's nice and light. The battery will last 3 or 4 uses or more before I have to give it a charge and I believe I'm on my 3rd season with it. pretty nice little unit if you don't have heavy work or a ton of trimming to do.

Now at home, I maintain 6 acres and have a fair amount of trimming. A couple times a year I have to go out and hit the knee deep stuff around the mail box, the culvert in the ditch, and I do a 28'x8' dog kennel since I don't have a walk behind mower at the house. There not easy jobs and it's a whole lot WOT knocking down knee deep grass for 1/2 hour at a time. For this, there's no replacement for a good gas trimmer and both 4 stroke and 2 stroke can get the job done. My 1st 4-stroke trimmer was a weedboss which was the new thing out about 10 years ago. It's a straight shaft, 4 stroke, 18" string trimmer that uses Briggs engine. Worked flawlessly for the last 10 years, had lots of power, was relatively quite, and oil changes consisted of about 4 oz of oil 1 a season. other than that, just fill and go. Usually starts within a pull or two. The only down side, it requires a little idle time to warm up and it's a little on the heavy side. Of course I blew the spline gear on the head about three weeks ago and in my impatience in finding parts, I headed to town to buy a new trimmer. For me, it has to be rated for commercial use to stand-up to the abuse. I did some research and few very good names of commercial units are Husqvarna, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Echo, and Honda. Only looked at the Honda, Stihl, and Echos as I didn't have a nearby dealer for the others. Ended up with the Honda HHT35SLTAT. Decided that the last 4-stroke was great and not having to worry about mixing fuel was just a bonus since the only other 2-stroke I own that requires mixed fuel needs a different ratio than the trimmers. So far I've only used the Honda twice. comparing it to my other 4-stroke trimmer, the Honda is smoother, quieter, and has even more power. The power part is quite impressive, extremely responsive and the power/torque comes on very low in the RPM band. The ergonomics are great! The only complaints i have so far is it's the heaviest trimmer I've picked up and I'm not sure I'm sold on the bump head however I can change that to one of the Echo quick feed heads if I have any issues with it.

I did look very hard at the Stihl however they didn't have the 200 series trimmers that I would have liked to have compared but instead the 111 series. I think this would have been more than fine. Holding both and spending about an hour at the store I decided the Honda does have a better feel even though it's quite abit heavier. The handle, trigger, cruise control set-up was simply much more comfortable than the Stihl for me. For the Stihl, the downside for me was ergonomics, the need to mix fuel, they're definitely louder and smokier than any of the 4strokes, however it was quite a bit lighter, there's no oil changes, I like there line feed system better, and they have multiple head options. Had they had a stihl with the 4-mix, I might have been swayed that direction but I've heard they are heavier and the balance is off, food for thought. I think either machine will last many years even with the abuse and both are rated for commercial use. Price wise, the Stihl FS111 and the Honda HHT35 were within about $10 of each other.

With all of that said, I grew up with an old weed-eater brand 2-stroke trimmer from the 80s. That thing was used for residential lawn care by both myself and my father and did no less than 3-6 different accounts/yards each year through my childhood and highschool years. It smoked like a banshee, was heavy, didn't have a shoulder strap, curved shaft, and although we thought it was powerful it wasn't anywhere near what I currently have, but it lasted most of 20 years before it was finally retired and still got the job done.

Pick the right tool for the job and get a quality name and you'll e more than happy. I over think this kind of stuff all the time when in reality there were plenty of trimmers that would have fit the bill. As a kicker, my father-in-law had a donor craftsman string trimmer that used the same engine as my weedboos that he retired due to some carb issues. Long story short, I switch the shafts between the two machines to make a good one so I guess I now have two 4-stroke trimmers and a 56V Electric. Probably overkill but what the heck, guess I'll always have a back-up, lol!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 40Volt DeWalt, and love it. I can trim my yard, my elderly neighbor's yard, and my parents yard, all twice, on one charge. 2 speeds, and variable trigger. At low speeds it doesn't chew up the fence or the tree bark. At WOT it will tear a bird apart before you ever see the little tweety.

Whoops.

Anyhow, I'm all happy with the DeWalt, even though I own Milwaukee drills.

OH, and something I haven't seen mentioned here. My weed wacker is super easy to fill, even for a dumb Norwegian like myself.

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
Craftsman make a four stroke so no mixing gas and they have electric start. I've had one for 9 years now and love it. Only time I use the electric start is for the first use each year. It also has 2 double strings of .150 cord which if I don't get crazy with will last two times around a yard that takes a few hours to weed eat. The only neg I would give it is it does vibrate a fare amount and hands feel like jello after a couple of hours.

sloppy

I’ve had an Echo for ten years...one + acre lot so gets used...easiest starting one I’ve ever own, the I-start is amazing, you don’t have to pull at all and lots of power. straight shaft is definitely better than any curved one

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Ryobi Gas - six years old - Moved to West Little Minneapolis in 2014 - hasn't been used since. DM if you want it you can have it.....I hire all my lawn stuff these days......

Josh Havelka

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started of with the black and decker grass hog corded wacker worked good until you get to the end of the cord. Went to gas wacker. It usually took 10-20 pulls to start. I purchased the Ryobi ONE + 18 Volt this year. So far so good. I can edge and trim my yard then stick the battery in the blower and clean up my whole yard. Works great so far. Has a 3 year warranty if the batteries go bad I can send them into get replaced.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boy is mowing a few yards this summer I usually do the weedwacking/ trimming while I wait. I had a corded one but got sick of messing with multiple cords to do the entire yard. I just picked up a cheap Blackn Decker battery one. I cant believe how much quicker it goes with this. Granted these are just Average size lots in Bismarck. It seemed under powered with the line that came with it but the thicker line that I had on hand makes a huge difference. It is much lighter/ shorter than most gasers wich is nice for edging next to the house. The battery life is shitty. I bought the wacker/ leaf blower combo and the battery usually dies right when I'm done blowing everything off. $130 for the combo so so far I'm happy we'll see how long it lasts.

You could always just higher Andrew I bet he'd work for custom cranks and GPS locations!

bowhunter12

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Ryobi Gas - six years old - Moved to West Little Minneapolis in 2014 - hasn't been used since. DM if you want it you can have it.....I hire all my lawn stuff these days......
I know of one of our members with some new acreage around Fargo that might need it. Thank you though!

I picked up a Kobalt 80 volt over lunch because I need something for this week. If I have any issues with it, I'm going to take it back and pick up a milwaukee. Swinging by tool crib on my way home make sure I don't have to order it.

- - - Updated - - -

My boy is mowing a few yards this summer I usually do the weedwacking/ trimming while I wait. I had a corded one but got sick of messing with multiple cords to do the entire yard. I just picked up a cheap Blackn Decker battery one. I cant believe how much quicker it goes with this. Granted these are just Average size lots in Bismarck. It seemed under powered with the line that came with it but the thicker line that I had on hand makes a huge difference. It is much lighter/ shorter than most gasers wich is nice for edging next to the house. The battery life is shitty. I bought the wacker/ leaf blower combo and the battery usually dies right when I'm done blowing everything off. $130 for the combo so so far I'm happy we'll see how long it lasts.

You could always just higher Andrew I bet he'd work for custom cranks and GPS locations!

PM me with his prices.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I replied. I got a notification but no PM. I'm assuming it was from you?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run an Echo 4-stroke. The small engine repair guys tell me its the way to go. That or Stihl. When i trim it is a hour or more.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2-cycle gas trimmer that I bought at Sears. That SOB never has run worth a shit. Have to keep playing with the choke and sqeezing the trottle to keep it running. Idle....forget it!

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 40 Black and Decker, I really like it allot. Ordered some string off Amazon, amazing how much more durable string can be wow!
It's pretty much dead after I do everything I want. Looks like that 80 volt would be the cats ass. I'd never go back to gas myself.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
hit all the edges last night then decided to edge the driveway and sidewalks. 2/3 battery left when I was done. The whole setup isn’t light by any means. I think I’ll stick with it for now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5