String Trimmers

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old hand-me-down black and decker string trimmer is going into retirement. I keep debating whether or not I go to gas.

Pros: no battery to run out, relatively inexpensive, power

Cons: mixing fuel (not a huge issue but everything else I own is 4 stroke), noise, heavier

Now my yard isn't that big, but I have to string trim around the entire fence and edging of the house. Plus, I'd like it to double as an edger since I can't seem to kill the creeping jenny on my boulevard.

Any votes one way or the other and if so, which brands do you trust?

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a Kobalt 80V and really like it. I only charge it about twice a year and its usually not dead when I do charge it. I like that you can throw the battery in a variety of other tools as well. My mom has some of the 40V Kobalt stuff and from what I can tell the 80V is leaps and bounds better.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Husqvarna trimmer that suits me quite well. Had it four years now. I wouldn't stress about mixing the gas, they have bottles that are already made for a 40:1 or 50:1 ratio. All you have to do is get a gallon can, fill it with gas, dump the bottle in and mix it up. I know it isn't good for my trimmer but I've had a gallon of mix last me nearly two years and I trim a lot of yard. Never had an issue starting year after year, just prime, choke, and she blasts right off....

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the Milwaukee - works great

just one more reason to own a k-drill with Milwaukee drill

ha ha

I even bought the Milwaukee portable shop vac

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a battery one years ago. When it died I went with a chorded one....the chord is a little bit of a pain but it's always ready to roll and have had it for 10-15 years. The problem I see with the gas trimmers is that they are so darn strong that they chew up trees and fence posts over time.

andyb15

Established Member
I don't have much preference of gas vs battery, but i use truefuel in my trimmer and blower and never have to mix fuel or worry about the fuel breaking down over the winter.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you do go with a gas trimmer use TruFuel. That way you dont have to mix and can get it in a container as small as a quart when you need it. No mixing required

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
20V DeWalt is new this spring. Runs through ~1/2 of a 4 Amp/hr battery trimming around the camper, shed, and electrical box out front. No way to hook up other attachments, you have to buy more tools.

4-Stroke Ryobi is on it's 4th summer @ home. Only maint. has been an oil change finally this year and cleaning out the little foam air-cleaner with a little carb-cleaner and gasoline. Plenty of power to run the string trimmer, baby 8" bar chainsaw, and I'd think an edger but I haven't hooked mine up. Starts up 1st pull and is warmed-up ready to use in 15-20 sec.

I think the only 2-stroke I've got left is my 20+yr old Jiffy auger.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had a toro battery trimmer for six years. I have to recharge the battery every time I use it. If it’s a big yard the battery wont last. If I was getting another, it will be the Milwaukee 2nd choice is the EGO. Neighbors have EGO and love it

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the Milwaukee - works great

just one more reason to own a k-drill with Milwaukee drill

ha ha

I even bought the Milwaukee portable shop vac

Well that's where I'm stuck too. I have the milwaukee fuel drill already plus three batteries. They want so damn much for their tools without batteries.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
edging with line trimmers is BS - I'd rather not edge vs. getting hit by and eating bits of rock, roots, sand, grass, etc.

I have a bad-ass dedicated edger (part of the Echo powerhead attachment series)

proper edging takes a ton of horsepower - can't imagine a battery unit doing it well - might be the tight clay soils are hard to edge here too I suppose

- - - Updated - - -

spend some of that monstrous stream of Custom Bait revenue you skinflint

- - - Updated - - -

go Milwaukee

ONE battery charger

ONE set of stupid batteries to keep charged

I can't imagine two or three chargers and a myriad of different batteries like we've done here at my work - YUCK

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Husqvarna trimmer that suits me quite well. Had it four years now. I wouldn't stress about mixing the gas, they have bottles that are already made for a 40:1 or 50:1 ratio. All you have to do is get a gallon can, fill it with gas, dump the bottle in and mix it up. I know it isn't good for my trimmer but I've had a gallon of mix last me nearly two years and I trim a lot of yard. Never had an issue starting year after year, just prime, choke, and she blasts right off....

I also have this one. I did away with the string and put a saw blade on it. You do want to stay away from the flower bed and small trees. It is so nice and it chops everything in site. If I have a branch hanging down when I mow I just walk up to it with the trimmer and its gone.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an old 2 stroke gasser. And a cheap battery trimmer. I much prefer the gas. It is actually quite a bit lighter then the battery, and much better power. The wife likes the battery one.

If i was buying today I'd look at Stihl gas, or Milwaukee battery.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milwaukee 2725-20 M18 FUEL String Trimmer (Bare Tool)

$199.00

Open the wallet and don't look back. This thing works like a charm. spendy yes..but as long as you have the batteries anyway.......
I got on the Milwaukee bandwagon a few years back when I got a k drill...now....fuel 18 drill, hammer drill,string trimmer, leaf blower, flood light, sawzall...extra charger,few extra batteries..4.0, 5.0, 9.0..think I am in for the duration with the brand..hahahahaa

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great topic, I got two 2 stroke gassers, both will run. I have trouble using up all the damn fuel before it goes stale. Does Seafoam work as a fuel stabilizer or is Stabil have that aspect all to themselves? and I hate our chain link fence, string eating f'n sob. Wonder what the blades and chain link would be like.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 21
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 6