Stuck in the fast lane behind a slow poke?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys who cant handle passing someone on the right must really shit a brick when you get into 6 or 8 lane traffic in a REAL urban area... hha
Very different when your in city limits and need to be in left lanes to take certain exits. Even within Bismarck/Mandan this is the case and have no problem with left-laners. Once your on the open road, move the eff over if you see someone coming behind you Shaniqua!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very different when your in city limits and need to be in left lanes to take certain exits. Even within Bismarck/Mandan this is the case and have no problem with left-laners. Once your on the open road, move the eff over if you see someone coming behind you Shaniqua!

So if I am in the left lane, and someone is going faster in the right and comes up behind me, are you are saying I should change lanes to be in the right lane, essentially cutting them off and forcing them to switch to the left lane, and then once they pass, Id have to move over to the left again? Does that seem efficient to you? Thats 3 lane changes required for 2 vehicles, when 0 are needed...

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
MC.jpg

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
We need a law here, if we don't have one already, for slow drivers in the left lane on our highways who force people to pass on the right. This article is about a year old, but the penalties are pretty stiff if you get nailed in some states:

Clueless drivers across the country are getting pulled over -- not for speeding, but for going too slow in the passing lane, reports CBS News correspondent Adriana Diaz.
Indiana is the latest state to begin penalizing drivers for holding up traffic in the left lane. When its new law begins next month, drivers could get tickets for as much as $500.
In Chicago, if you don't keep up the pace while driving in the left lane you could be slapped with a $1,000 fine and multiple-time offenders can be charged with a misdemeanor.

In New Jersey, the fine for the offense went up to a maximum of $300 two years ago.
"We focus on the most aggressive drivers out there," NJ State Police Lt. Col. Patrick Callahan said. "I would agree going 90 is more dangerous than going 50, but doing 50 does come with some concern and some consequences."
At least 38 states have laws in place to fine for lingering in the left lane. In five states, fines can reach $1000 and 22 states classify the violation as a misdemeanor.
"Just like you should be fined for going too fast, you should be fined for going too slow," one driver said.
"I think it's about time. People need to move over," another said.
"When you have people just drive anywhere, it is chaos on the roadway," New Jersey State Assemblyman Declan O'Scanlon said.
He pushed for the state's law in order or to reduce accidents and anger on the road.

"One of the chief causes of road rage is people's failure to obey this very simple rule," he said.
Contrary to how some drivers use it, the left lane is not the "fast lane."
"You should be passing using the left lane," O'Scanlon said. "This is not a minor offence. When you cause people to change lanes more frequently or to pass people on the right, that is when you get the most severe accidents."
Enforcing the law in New Jersey is largely up to state troopers and Callahan said not all left-leaning drivers are targeted.
"It's those cars that are really obstructing the flow of traffic out there, sometimes even driving under the speed limit. That's who troopers are looking for, that vehicle and that driver that's really failing to keep right as they should," Callahan said.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if I am in the left lane, and someone is going faster in the right and comes up behind me, are you are saying I should change lanes to be in the right lane, essentially cutting them off and forcing them to switch to the left lane, and then once they pass, Id have to move over to the left again? Does that seem efficient to you? Thats 3 lane changes required for 2 vehicles, when 0 are needed...
I think what the entire majority here are saying is, if your not passing someone, move over.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously I dont see what peoples problem with others driving in the left lane is. Its not any harder to pass on the right than it is to pass on the left. I dont typically drive in the left lane, unless the right lane is bumpy or Im moving faster than average traffic. Makes sense to use both lanes on the 4 lane highways to even out the wear and extend the time between repairs tho, if you think about it....

Also to those of you that insist on flashing me for driving with my brights on at night on divided highways, you can suck it! :;:howdy

You drive with brights on 4 lane highways when on cars are coming? You aren't nice if that is the case and uncool. You should also be hammered with negative rep and may god have mercy on your soul.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're also putting yourself in danger by being the first one mashed if someone crosses the median. Not an uncommon occurrence.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
But what about when the passing lane is nice and smooth while the right-hand lane is a bumpy humpy buckaroo POS????

I say, in that case, everyone switches... pass on the bucking buckaroo side - cruise on the smooth side. :;:smokin

- - - Updated - - -

You're also putting yourself in danger by being the first one mashed if someone crosses the median. Not an uncommon occurrence.

his_middle_name_is_danger._4385107075.jpg

lyc ^^^^

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The cruising lane is on the right, and the passing lane is on the left. You should never be cruising in the passing lane, or passing in the cruising lane.

This very simple process has averted a few of you fella's, but I know you can read, and if you have now read this, such as lycan, this should never be an issue with you again, as I know you have read it.

Pass on the left, drive on the right... its real simple, regardless of your preference, as it turns out your preference is wrong....haha

#passinglanesmatter

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drove ~300Mi today. Had no less than 3 non-cruise control users try to hang me out to dry in the left lane. Had a 4th non-cruise user hang out in the left lane in my blind spot for ~10mi.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder how many on here realize these laws don't count if the guy in the left lane is 5 over and you want to drive 10 over.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's more about courtesy and smooth traffic flow. I love when someone zips past me at 95! I keep a long distance visual and shorten my own journey with a few accel taps on the cruise...

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drive faster than most and spend a decent amount of time in the left lane. As soon as I see some one gaining on me I get in the right lane well before they get to me and have to make a decision. It's called be courteous and basically not being a dipshit. Having to get Into the right to pass creates other hazards as well like coming up on even slower moving vehicles. I understand these concepts are hard to grasp, so surely you won't mind when I'm bump drafting you with my highbeam xenon headlights in your mirrors while you obliviously cruise along in the left lane. Hey we're on a 4 lane highway it's fine according to you!

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Left lane for passing, right lane for cruising!! :;:exactlyHonk honk get the titty sprinkles over to the right if your just driving in the left lane, or if your done passing someone else driving in the right lane. ;:;boozer

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drive faster than most and spend a decent amount of time in the left lane. As soon as I see some one gaining on me I get in the right lane well before they get to me and have to make a decision. It's called be courteous and basically not being a dipshit. Having to get Into the right to pass creates other hazards as well like coming up on even slower moving vehicles. I understand these concepts are hard to grasp, so surely you won't mind when I'm bump drafting you with my highbeam xenon headlights in your mirrors while you obliviously cruise along in the left lane. Hey we're on a 4 lane highway it's fine according to you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT1__q-Uamk

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i always drive faster than most on 4 lanes. bout 9-11 over. but, once i am done passing, i move over to the right. on really busy highways, you are almost never "done passing". so, i spend most of my time in the left lane. but, as soon as i see someone gaining on me, i make a darn good effort to get over into the right lane as soon as possible. if there is someone next to me going 4 mph over, than that might take a few seconds as i am not going to go 20 mph over because someone else is. but, i will accelerate a bit to get the pass and change over with as quickly as possible. so, that places me in the right lane is for cruising and left lane is for passing crowd i think.

the headlights thing has been hashed out before. these highways are designed so that shouldn't be a problem. it is not against the law to keep your brights on unless there is someone within so many feet in front of you on your side of the highway. the NDHP has actually answered this question on the radio before and they encourage you to leave your brights on when traversing divided highways because of the safety factor. when you are doing 70-75+ mph, your stopping/braking distance may very well be farther than your low beams reach and you will have trouble stopping in time. this isn't an opinion thing that makes people jackasses. its actual studied science. so, even thought it may make me a jackass in some people's eyes, i guess i have to put myself in the category of folks who keep their high beams on when on divided highways unless i have someone in front of me on the same side of the divided highway.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Left lane is for faster traffic, and if you are in that left lane and tied to the car next to you, either slow down and get behind them or speed up and get in front of them. No one behind you is impressed with your ability to maintain the same speed as the guy in the driving lane.

Never have I understood the complete disregard for other drivers, and the utmost selfishness of these @ssholes who clog up the "fast" lane

I'm lining up a few whores trained for sperm bank extraction. PM for a dry handjob. I can't afford various lubricants. herbs, Pokemon and steam.

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last week I had one of those guys in a big hurry behind me at the main Jamestown on ramp heading east . I was ahead of him merging into a single lane due to construction. I just smiled when he started to go around me . There was a semi barreling down that single lane about 35 yards back. Plus a pickup and a car. I wonder if he peed his pants as he slammed on the brakes. No left lane can be a problem.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be nice if you could delete a post.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 57
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21