Stupid question on reloading powder

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was my first group at 200 yards the other day.

IMG_0877.JPG

200 yards? Holy schnikes. That group is exceptional at 100.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok, so I haven't had to reload for my 7mm in about 4 years and have the need to put a few more rounds together.

The last time I loaded this round, 120 gr TSX with 64.04 grains of RL-22, I had to set my powder dispenser to 61.5 grains to deliver the desired charge. So I went right to 61.5 grains on the powder dispenser (Redding brand) and poured in the remaining powder I had from the last batch (powder is now 4 yrs old). Lo and behold, I only get 59.88 grains of powder on average over a 10 pull run.

What gives? Has the powder absorbed some moisture from sitting in cold storage and now needs to be disposed of via some other pyrotechnics? because it has swollen some 6-7%?

When I load I use the scale to set my load weight not the measure. I've been using my RCBS powder measure for about 45 years now and I never rely on an indicated 50 gr on the measure being 50 gr on the scale. I dial in 50 gr and check and adjust the measure until it throws 50 every time. (I used 50 gr as an example)

How does it smell?

Well crap, time for me to issue a mea culpa, confession of dumb, admission of stupid, whatever you want to call it. Damnit, I almost made it to November this year without a mistake.

Turns out the powder is just fine, I didn't set the powder dispenser correctly (if you know Redding, their dial for powder is a bit of a mind titty sprinkle). Once I finally relearned how to set the powder dispenser, I got within 0.03 grains of powder from my records on average over a set of 10 pulls. I'll take that, especially when I did it again.

As far as the coloration thing, I opened a new jug of powder and it has the same light gray and charcoal gray mixture. I guess being a few years since I used RL-22 I just don't remember (or ever noted) the odd coloration.

Good grief...

LMAO, See it isn't always what you think. One thing I've learned in loading is always check and double check when you think you have a problem. When I have one that stumps me sometimes I have a buddy come over and check what I doing. A fresh set of eyes is invaluable in problem solving.

Loading is NOT a place for "close enough" as you know. I noticed you didn't mention what 7mm you're loading for. That wouldn't have helped get the measure set but might find you someone else's favorite load. bullet or powder for what you're shooting.

Please report back on how it's shooting now.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha thanks. I bought a 5-25x zeiss last year, that and the lead sled made a big difference.
Its a fairly lightweight HS hunting rifle so I'm pretty happy with it considering how she kicks.
But when critters get hit with it their head has to catch up with their ass most of the time, that's what I like about it the most. :;:thumbsup

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
2400 I load a lot like you. I am on my second RCBS Load Master. I set my RCBS powder measure to throw a load ..3 gr light then use the Load Master as a trickle charger to finish the load. Still I often find it loads ..1 gr heavy. I have a very light forceps to remove 3 to 5 kernels of powder. I have a 50lb chunk of granite left over from kitchen counter top. I put that on rubber feet and have three scales on it. Two RCBS electronic, and one manual. I have a hard time trusting the electronic if I don't zero every tenth load, and verify manually ever 30 or 40 rounds. So far pessimism has allowed me to keep my face for 68 years.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
2400, I am loading for a 7 mm Rem Mag in a Remington model 700 BDL.

Like you said, I use the scale to set the powder dispenser. My problem here was one of I thought I had the powder dispenser set to what my records indicated, meaning it should have delivered what I had in the books for a weighed out amount. Problem was it wasn't even close, or so it seemed.

Got it all fingered out now. I plan on doing a little shooting yet this upcoming week.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88