Suggestions on a good pike lake?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hi guys normally don't target pike but plan on bringing my boys out this wknd and figured there at the age of a good ole tip up session running and wrestling to the flags. Anyone have suggestions on a pike lake between Bismarck and Jamestown . Have a buddy from Jamestown and I'm from Bismarck so planning to meet in the middle. Don't care about size just action and watching flags go up
thanks!

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Crooked Lake (little over an hour north of Bismarck) is usually good for constant perch & pike action. I haven't been there yet this winter but plan on checking it out this weekend. I'll post back after this weekend with results.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Horse head, isabel , Etta/alkaline, cherry, wetzel
Which one? I know where there all located which one has the most active fish.... haha
thanks for the replies this far!

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cherry has been hot all winter for pike, catch every damn one of them please.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if choosing cherry, just north of the Island that leads into the back west bay there, would get my vote on a place to start.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cherry has been hot all winter for pike, catch every damn one of them please.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if choosing cherry, just north of the Island that leads into the back west bay there, would get my vote on a place to start.

Thanks, I will certainly try to catch them all, good ole pickling maybe be in order if we get any.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
19 yrs ago I was on Cherry with my Son. I had picked up herring in Bismarck and had 8 tip ups out. My Son came walking back after talking with two older gentlemen with a hotdog in his hand eating it. I walked over and said my boy eating your dinner. They said no he's eating our bait. I seen the Northern that they had all nice fish and averaging close to 10 lb each. They said half a hotdog with a treble hook in the middle. That has been my go to bait for Northern for the past 19 yrs.

Give it a try, the cheapest hotdogs you can buy. Drop them on the bottom and they will scoop them up.

Good luck

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
A little further but Rice lake south of Strausburg has a very nice like population. #'s and size.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
19 yrs ago I was on Cherry with my Son. I had picked up herring in Bismarck and had 8 tip ups out. My Son came walking back after talking with two older gentlemen with a hotdog in his hand eating it. I walked over and said my boy eating your dinner. They said no he's eating our bait. I seen the Northern that they had all nice fish and averaging close to 10 lb each. They said half a hotdog with a treble hook in the middle. That has been my go to bait for Northern for the past 19 yrs.

Give it a try, the cheapest hotdogs you can buy. Drop them on the bottom and they will scoop them up.

Good luck

Hotdog and a minnow. Cheap, easy and oh so simple

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do most of my pike fishing on Irvine and always set half my tip ups with smelt and half with a half a hot dog. Last year they really preferred the hotdogs, but this year most of my fish have been off of smelt. Put both down and let them tell you what they want.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive heard the hot dog before but never have tried it. so whole hotdog or half? and cheapest smelliest hotdgos made of god knows what I assume. haha

we thought of crystal springs too and I know that has perch and walleye as well that make it over from stink and ruele so that would also be an option.
Thanks again everyone will post back our success or lack there of if we do make it out. hopefully the wind isn't to bad sunday

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive heard the hot dog before but never have tried it. so whole hotdog or half? and cheapest smelliest hotdgos made of god knows what I assume. haha

we thought of crystal springs too and I know that has perch and walleye as well that make it over from stink and ruele so that would also be an option.
Thanks again everyone will post back our success or lack there of if we do make it out. hopefully the wind isn't to bad sunday

I normally buy whatever hotdogs that are about $1.00 per pack and use the whole hotdog then I tail hook a minnow on one of the trebles.

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't use those fancy Oscar Mayer hot dogs, need the good ones like Fun Dogs or Our Family, if you are in a pinch. Oscar Mayer must use too good of meat for a northern's taste. I will throw the open hot dogs in with the bag of frozen smelt to get even more stank on them. Some days they like the hot dog, some days the smelt.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The price of herring these days has gotten out of hand. What’s the deal this winter...is there a shortage? Over a dollar a piece seems beyond steep.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've caught some awfully nice eyes in northern waters with smelt just off the bottom with a fat head on 1 barb...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 186
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84