sweetcorn - is it time yet?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot to post after supper, it was just ok, didn't have much corn flavor. As I said earlier it could of been left for awhile longer on the plant.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted a few acres of sweet corn on May 8 (6 different varieties). Paydirt, the really early variety was ready early last week.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was in Duluth Mon-Wed this week and from ~Walker, every little town, road side stand, etc all were advertising sweet-corn being ready and there were piles on the tables and in the ubiquitous 30yr old topper'd pickup trailers.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody in Richland county got some for sale? Need about 15 dozen for canning.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were camping last year at Fort Stevenson and the grocery store in Garrison had really good sweetcorn. We asked if they could get us 2 cases on the next order and they were happy to do it. Actually sold it to us cheaper then you could buy it by the dozen in the store.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have been buying corn from the store in Garrison to eat with suppers. Really good again this year. I believe they buy it from somewhere in Minnesota. Spoke for 2 cases today and picking it up Sunday morning before we go home.

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need help. I have raccoons in my sweet corn in town. Marshmallows and donuts aren't getting them in the live trap.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need help. I have raccoons in my sweet corn in town. Marshmallows and donuts aren't getting them in the live trap.

An Egg and Dobbins Coon candy for bait is the best I have found for Trash Pandas.

For CORN !!
Anybody in Bis-Man area that wants the best corn there is go to main in Mandan at the Cenex and see my neighbor the corn lady. She usually is set up by 10:00 AM until the load is gone. You will not regret it, best there is I tell ya.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you get the coon candy?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031TOF62/?tag=nodakangler10-20

You don't need much and the trick is to keep it off the ground. I use a small stick and dip one end in the paste and poke it in the ground.

The ground will absorb the scent and being off the ground will help the yummie goodness create a scent cone.

Fake eggs work too but I have plenty of the real ones around.

A big boar will destroy a cheap store bought live catch trap in one catch. My traps are welded with heavy wire and I still fix them a couple times a year.

Good Luck

Last edited:

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I tried sardines in one trap and tuna in oil in the other with no luck. Rotten bastard must be smart to the live trap. Ordered some coon candy. Going to try some dog food next.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I tried sardines in one trap and tuna in oil in the other with no luck. Rotten bastard must be smart to the live trap. Ordered some coon candy. Going to try some dog food next.

Dump some bacon grease on that dog food.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28