Switching from 243 to 6 Creed

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
:) SDFM if your not into the brass prep I think your a heck of a lot better shooter than you think you are.

Attention span is too short to be....................................................Wait, what was I saying now?

I'm lucky when my socks match. For the most part I ditched shoelaces too.

I can get a rifle into a good shooting position and stay on target. I miss the subtle changes in wind speed and direction. On long shot strings I get complacent or lazy near the end. It's not fatigue, it's a lack of focus.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
:) When I shoot for qualification I lay off the caffeine that day. With Caffeine I still easily pass, but embarrass myself with less than 100%. It was terrible when I first went from my trusty Smith revolver to a semi. Good grief that first qualification I dropped down into the lower 80%. It took me ten years to get a perfect score with a semi. It took me four handguns too. That Kimber 1911 is sure over rated. I now shoot a much cheaper, but more accurate Springfield XD 45 and sometimes I carry the XDM 5.25 competition 9mm. I never thought a strike fire would outshoot a single action trigger, but they sure do outshoot my Kimber. Hence my badmouth about the Kimber a few posts back. My sons Kimber Montana shoots good though.

Attention span is too short to be................................................ ....Wait, what was I saying now?
I'm afraid I am right in there with you on that one. It isn't getting any better either.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your semi-lucid permutations however rival someone asking questions like, "Why does anyone in Fargo continue to own snowblowers in July?"

but if I asked that question it’d end in “...if they’re able to sell or trade said snowblower and come out ahead on the deal?”

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
but if I asked that question it’d end in “...if they’re able to sell or trade said snowblower and come out ahead on the deal?”

It's all fun and games until you're buying a single-stage 2-stroke after an 18" event because even the pawn shops are devoid of anything larger. (grin)

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's all fun and games until you're buying a single-stage 2-stroke after an 18" event because even the pawn shops are devoid of anything larger. (grin)

I have a safe full of snowblowers! Even if I had to throw a scope on one and sight it in on the way to deer hunting, I still had a backup and I got the job done in brilliant fashion. I had a very successful 2017 Deer Snowblower season, thank you.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update on this project:

I painted the new 6 Creed barrel and scope to match the rifle:

WP_20180227_004.jpg

WP_20180228_003.jpg

I've tried a few different powders and bullets.
It does well with Varget and the 87 Berger:
WP_20180618_001 1.jpg

And also H4350 and the Hornady 105 BTHP:
WP_20180713_003 1.jpg

Some may say that 3 shot groups don't "count", but this is primarily a hunting rifle, and still in load development.

Overall I like the barrel. It's two inches longer than my previous 243 barrel, yet over 8oz lighter.
The one thing I don't like is the gas block. It's a proprietary thing that is not really all that adjustable, so especially when shooting suppressed (like a gentleman), you need an adjustable gas key to keep the BCG speed down. I'd much rather vent the excess gas out the block instead of through the action, but it does work.

Last edited:

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
The first thing I noticed was the gas block and tube. It is not something I would not like. It looks like something someone would just piece together just to get by.

How much do you have in the barrel?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Creedmoor, chamberings independent of bore diameter have been engineered to take advantage of where the $$ has gone with respect to projectile development (and advertising). It's not a fad, it's a better mouse-trap. You give up just a little case capacity to gain a repeating rifle, that allows and OAL up to and even into the lands while still staying within the confines of standard magazine lengths (2.8"). Couple that with bbls that are twisted such that they'll also be able to maximize current and likely future developed high-BC, long projectiles. Previously (and currently), regarding "the old standbys", unless one paid a gunsmith to chamber a barrel throated in such a way as to meld the max OAL of the chamber with the max OAL allowed by the magazine the shooter was relegated to either a LONG jump to the lands, or shooting single-shot because loaded rounds wouldn't fit in the magazine.

Federal brass is shitty.

Don't know what to think about the bbl with the sleeve and magic cooling potion. In benchrest, actions have been sleeved for decades to increase rigidity. I can say for certain I haven't the foggiest idea what's going on inside the AL bbl sleeve on the Dracos.

Draco from the Harry Potter series was a spineless, whiny, shit-heel. That in itself might keep me from buying the barrel. :::

i doubt the average shooter could ever tell the difference, same as the 6.5 and .260. Lots of gun writers hype. My old opinion. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Creedmores but ballistically and reloadably for any conceivably practical purpose, they are all identical. Accuracy??? Both WAY more accurate than me, buy I doubt if 1/4 inch at 872 1/2 yards will upset me much! LOL

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Creedmores but ballistically and reloadably for any conceivably practical purpose, they are all identical.

In the realm of 100gn and less projectiles, you're right. When speaking of 105gn+ projectiles (where all the R&D and Marketing $$ has gone) the Creedmoor has an advantage in magazine/chamber dimensions as well as ROT to maximize the heavier/longer bullets.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88