Switching from 243 to 6 Creed

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
After several thousand rounds, I think my 243 Win barrel on my AR-10 is finally giving up.
I decided to go with a Dracos barrel in 6mm Creedmoor. If you haven’t heard of these, you should check them out: https://www.dracosbarrels.com/
They have a 243 barrel, but it’s a 20 inch. If it was a 22, this would have been a lot harder decision.
I’m selling some of my 243 stuff. Links to classifieds below.
However, this post is not just a shameless plug to sell my stuff.

Thoughts on 6mm Creedmoor?
I’m sure SDMF would call it a “fad”.

To me it’s attractive for all the same reasons that 6.5 Creed is more attractive than 260 Rem.
- longer neck for seating long bullets
- Shorter overall length, also good for seating long bullets
- I can get Lapua brass with the small primer pocket. This is a big deal to me after I blew out the pockets on my 243 Federal brass after just 3 loadings.

Thoughts on the Dracos barrel?

- My stuff
Factory Ammo:
http://nodakangler.com/forums/ozzmodz_classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=682

Hornady Brass:
http://nodakangler.com/forums/ozzmodz_classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=683

Pelican 1720:
http://nodakangler.com/forums/ozzmodz_classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=684

Burris PEPR scope mount:
http://nodakangler.com/forums/ozzmodz_classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=685

AR parts:
http://nodakangler.com/forums/ozzmodz_classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=206

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont see how any one could disagree with you. I am at a cross road right now i want a new rifle but do i go small and get a 6 creed or big and get a 300 win mag ....

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont see how any one could disagree with you. I am at a cross road right now i want a new rifle but do i go small and get a 6 creed or big and get a 300 win mag ....

The answer is get both

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
The answer is get both
Or one rifle that will do both with a barrel and bolt swap: https://deserttech.com/srs.php
You can do the barrel swap yourself in just a few minutes with a single hex wrench.
Never mind the calibers they have listed there, you can get a custom barrel in just about any caliber for about the same price.

Last edited:

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
problem is i would need a second job and a divorce lawyer as i just cant get a off the shelf gun... I have a problem

I like that answer as well but I was in the same boat. I ended up buying a Browning Long Range McMillan in 6mm. I quite probably would have went with the .243 since I currently don't reload and there's a done more factory ammo but it wasn't an option in that gun and I do hope to start loading here soon. Anyway the factory ammo from Hornady is pretty solid. I've only had a chance to sight it in a put a few rounds down the tube. I didn't measure the 5 shot groups but they were well under an inch.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like that answer as well but I was in the same boat. I ended up buying a Browning Long Range McMillan in 6mm. I quite probably would have went with the .243 since I currently don't reload and there's a done more factory ammo but it wasn't an option in that gun and I do hope to start loading here soon. Anyway the factory ammo from Hornady is pretty solid. I've only had a chance to sight it in a put a few rounds down the tube. I didn't measure the 5 shot groups but they were well under an inch.

That's really the only advantage the 243 has. Tons of factory ammo options. Means nothing to me. I haven't shot factory rounds through that gun in years.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or one rifle that will do both with a barrel and bolt swap: https://deserttech.com/srs.php
You can do the barrel swap yourself in just a few minutes with a single hex wrench.
Never mind the calibers they have listed there, you can get a custom barrel in just about any caliber for about the same price.

i have looked at those and they might be the answer.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have looked at those and they might be the answer.

They are.

WP_20170911_002.jpg

WP_20171014_004.jpg

It'll replace every center fire rifle you have, except maybe an AR or a lightweight mountain rifle.

Only problem is nothing about them is cheap. Then again, you only really need one scope, so you can save money on that end.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thoughts on 6mm Creedmoor?
I’m sure SDMF would call it a “fad”.

To me it’s attractive for all the same reasons that 6.5 Creed is more attractive than 260 Rem.
- longer neck for seating long bullets
- Shorter overall length, also good for seating long bullets
- I can get Lapua brass with the small primer pocket. This is a big deal to me after I blew out the pockets on my 243 Federal brass after just 3 loadings.

Thoughts on the Dracos barrel?

Creedmoor, chamberings independent of bore diameter have been engineered to take advantage of where the $$ has gone with respect to projectile development (and advertising). It's not a fad, it's a better mouse-trap. You give up just a little case capacity to gain a repeating rifle, that allows and OAL up to and even into the lands while still staying within the confines of standard magazine lengths (2.8"). Couple that with bbls that are twisted such that they'll also be able to maximize current and likely future developed high-BC, long projectiles. Previously (and currently), regarding "the old standbys", unless one paid a gunsmith to chamber a barrel throated in such a way as to meld the max OAL of the chamber with the max OAL allowed by the magazine the shooter was relegated to either a LONG jump to the lands, or shooting single-shot because loaded rounds wouldn't fit in the magazine.

Federal brass is shitty.

Don't know what to think about the bbl with the sleeve and magic cooling potion. In benchrest, actions have been sleeved for decades to increase rigidity. I can say for certain I haven't the foggiest idea what's going on inside the AL bbl sleeve on the Dracos.

Draco from the Harry Potter series was a spineless, whiny, shit-heel. That in itself might keep me from buying the barrel. :::

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lapua brass will spoil you against everything else. RWS is close, Norma is a distant second.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lapua brass will spoil you against everything else. RWS is close, Norma is a distant second.
I think Lapua does a lot of advertising and gets a good rep, but I'm disappointed in my 6.5 X 284 brass. It doesn't have consistent neck thickness. I have to neck turn all of my Lapua brass. Of course I have to turn Winchester, Remington, and Hornady too. My neck thickness runs .013 to .016 inch on the same piece of Lapua brass. I get between .2 inch and .25 inch group with both Lapua and Winchester 284 sized and turned. I just don't get the Lapua rep just like I am not to impressed with my Kimbers. Big names, big price, not so much big performance.
I am curious if my problem is simply lot numbers. I have purchased about 600 Lapua, but all about four years ago. I would much appreciate if a couple of you could measure some Lapua neck thickness and post up and tell me what your getting.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Creedmoor, chamberings independent of bore diameter have been engineered to take advantage of where the $$ has gone with respect to projectile development (and advertising). It's not a fad, it's a better mouse-trap. You give up just a little case capacity to gain a repeating rifle, that allows and OAL up to and even into the lands while still staying within the confines of standard magazine lengths (2.8"). Couple that with bbls that are twisted such that they'll also be able to maximize current and likely future developed high-BC, long projectiles. Previously (and currently), regarding "the old standbys", unless one paid a gunsmith to chamber a barrel throated in such a way as to meld the max OAL of the chamber with the max OAL allowed by the magazine the shooter was relegated to either a LONG jump to the lands, or shooting single-shot because loaded rounds wouldn't fit in the magazine.

Federal brass is shitty.

Don't know what to think about the bbl with the sleeve and magic cooling potion. In benchrest, actions have been sleeved for decades to increase rigidity. I can say for certain I haven't the foggiest idea what's going on inside the AL bbl sleeve on the Dracos.

Draco from the Harry Potter series was a spineless, whiny, shit-heel. That in itself might keep me from buying the barrel. :::

All the shit I get from you for over analyzing...

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't call it over-analysis. I found it to be a very succinct summary of progress in recent cartridge design.
I also love the use of "shit-heel". I need to start using that again.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think Lapua does a lot of advertising and gets a good rep, but I'm disappointed in my 6.5 X 284 brass. It doesn't have consistent neck thickness. I have to neck turn all of my Lapua brass. Of course I have to turn Winchester, Remington, and Hornady too. My neck thickness runs .013 to .016 inch on the same piece of Lapua brass. I get between .2 inch and .25 inch group with both Lapua and Winchester 284 sized and turned. I just don't get the Lapua rep just like I am not to impressed with my Kimbers. Big names, big price, not so much big performance.
I am curious if my problem is simply lot numbers. I have purchased about 600 Lapua, but all about four years ago. I would much appreciate if a couple of you could measure some Lapua neck thickness and post up and tell me what your getting.

I don't measure necks, I don't turn necks, and to date, I don't anneal necks. 1st shot is a throwaway bullet, typically into a snowbank as I like to FF in the cold. Then a partial neck size with a crush fit via Forster or Redding bushing die. Lapua's primer pockets last longer for me than Rem/Win brass and for me at least, only Norma matches Lapua for how many loadings it takes to crack a neck.

On my best days, I'm a 1/2MOA shooter. Some days I'm not that. I don't have the patience, concentration, or discipline to consistently shoot any better. Falling into the black-hole of benchrest discipline worthy brass prep is of less than 0 interest to me.

- - - Updated - - -

All the shit I get from you for over analyzing...

I don't just willy-nilly throw crap together. I consider how the OAL of loaded rounds is going to interact with the individual chamber geometry and corresponding magazine to house said rounds. Once the decision is made I either then buy what I think will fit my needs, or have it built.

Your semi-lucid permutations however rival someone asking questions like, "Why does anyone in Fargo continue to own snowblowers in July?"

In all seriousness though, you know I love the banter.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF;181781 [COLOR=silver said:
- - - Updated - - [/COLOR]

Your semi-lucid permutations however rival someone asking questions like, "Why does anyone in Fargo continue to own snowblowers in July?"

This may be the greatest thing I’ve ever read.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my best days, I'm a 1/2MOA shooter. Some days I'm not that. I don't have the patience, concentration, or discipline to consistently shoot any better. Falling into the black-hole of benchrest discipline worthy brass prep is of less than 0 interest to me.

:) SDFM if your not into the brass prep I think your a heck of a lot better shooter than you think you are. :;:thumbsup
I was out Sunday with my 15 year old grandson who has not shot at anything beyond about 300 yards I think he said. Anyway with my Creedmoor he was busting 2.5x2.5 inch tile squares at 600 yards. Evidently his dad taught him the basics well. My point is many people shoot better than they expect.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93