Tagging Catfish

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have been very lucky over the past couple years to catch 9 (3 last year and 6 this year) catfish that were tagged in Canada and have migrated here to the Grand Forks area. While catching tagged catfish is not all that odd to catch 9 in that short of a time apparently is. I received an email from the adviser of the tagging project from the University of Nebraska a few weeks back asking for some more specific river and catch data from the GF area. Over the course of a few weeks of emails I was able to arrange a few hours of actual tagging of these catfish.

I went to Selkirk, MB over the weekend for an annual catfish outing but the highlight was yesterday getting to get into the tagging boat and be able to see how it is done and visit with the guy in charge. There is so much to learn about channel catfish and having caught a few I thought it would be cool to see the process. Over the course of three hours we had a good run. Not only did I see a catfish tagged in person but I personally got to tag 14 others myself. I even managed to catch one that was tagged the week earlier so now I have 10 total.

Such an important study and I am so happy to be just a small part of it.

Attachments

DSC_0403.jpg DSC_0397.jpg DSC_0391.jpg

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Truthfully we don't pay much attention to them after we catch them. We tagged a few in the mid-20s but never put any on the scale. The fish seem to be running heavy for this time of year. Can't wait to get back up there in Mid-Sept when the real big ones are around.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amazing opportunity! Good for you Brad. Please be sure to keep us updated on your September trip with pics of the Sumos!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got my first tagged cat last night - 15.5 lbs, 36"! Got lots of pics and took info from the tag to call in.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you use the cinder block for? Or am I being a wise guy and asking too many questions?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you use the cinder block for? Or am I being a wise guy and asking too many questions?

Best river anchor ever made. Cheap....as in free and if it breaks....oh well........just grab another one and off you go.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe it's for the net man when he screws up and loses a fish!!!!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is some cool stuff. That river has to be the best channel cat river on the continent almost.

sd fisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
That cool. I would like to a ride along with the game and fish dept. when they do their survey netting.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't heard back yet on the tag - how long does it usually take Brad?

As for the cinder block - rear anchor to prevent sway. Or as one suggested, overzealous net man who loses fish by being too aggressive with a scoop.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
email me the tag number. braddurick@gmail.com and I will send it to the guy who is heading up the study. Should have an answer by tomorrow.

I need the #
About where it was caught
length
kept or released
date caught

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brad comes through again! Here's the info:

tagged via angling 6/17/2013 @ Lockport Dam
860mm
9250g

Looks like 33" and 20.5 lbs up in Lockport - excercise of crossing 5 dams in 2 years cost her 5 lbs or so....

- - - Updated - - -

and yes, she was released.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
One last thing - cats this time of year can put on some serious weight. May slow down a bit, may be gangbusters, but keep fishing em! I can't wait to get another tagged fish! I'll be out this week again if at all possible to fish the slowly rising Red Beauty.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75