temps for hanging deer

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hypothetical,,, If a deer was shot tomorrow afternoon/evening (high tomorrow is 65) and I hung it in a pole barn until saturday when I had a chance to cut it up would that be ok? low tomorrow night is mid 40's then friday high is mid 50's. I have a crazy work schedule right now but trying to sneak out to get my kid his first deer but have no time to butcher until saturday.

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn’t chance it.. low 40’s with zero sunlight is about as close as I would get to leaving it hang in warmer temps. Could you quarter it quick and put in a big cooler with ice until Saturday when you can cut it up?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd do it. Not even a question.

As long as the deer is "dry" it'll be fine. Especially if you can let it cool in the night.

If the hide's off then wrap it with a blanket during the day, back to naked during the night.

Ground or wet meat dangerous above 40F... a whole carcass sans guts is way more durable toward spoilage than people think.

Maybe remove the tenderloins so they don't dry up too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Or quarter it up and throw it in an old fridge or cooler if you're cautious like 58201

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends how skunky you like your venison to taste.

Hypothetically, I'd get that thing at least quartered and put in cold storage until you have time to do a better job. Or call in sick Friday and get it done then.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
god damn job and beet harvest getting in the way of more important things!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure that I have EVER in my life heard of someone getting sick or dying from a hung deer. Even when moldy - scrape the mold off and you're good to go. It might taste grim... but I don't think it'll make you seriously sick.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
That deer will be just fine in a pole barn till Saturday

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think it would be fine also, but 50's just scare me in general...however, one thing I would be cautious of is if your pole barn heats up. I have a metal quonset and when the sun hits that a lot of times that heats it up in there. So it might be 50s outside, but my quonset is higher. If thats not an issue you should be fine.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My step dad majored in chemistry. Was a food chemist. He says the temp of life is 42 degrees. So you need to keep it below that or it'll rot.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This begs the question of hide on, or hide off.

So long as the deer isn't all shot up, I like leaving the hide on as it protects the meat from drying out. Plus, the skin is a natural defense against bacterial growth on the meat.

That being said, I've known a deer or two that hung around in 50+ degree temps for a week without the hide. A good filet knife takes the dried up stuff off every time.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your youngster shoots a deer and you don't have time to deal with it, bring it to me if it's not to far to drive. I'll butcher it. I have a complete slaughter house. A kid needs to be able to eat what he kills. I think it's that important to getting a youngster hooked on the outdoors instead of a phone. PM me if you want.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your youngster shoots a deer and you don't have time to deal with it, bring it to me if it's not to far to drive. I'll butcher it. I have a complete slaughter house. A kid needs to be able to eat what he kills. I think it's that important to getting a youngster hooked on the outdoors instead of a phone. PM me if you want.

Very nice offer KDM, but I am up by Grand Forks and will be hunting in MN. Hide will stay on, I'm sure it will be fine but just wanted to run it by the experts.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
That being the case, I'd leave the hide on and rinse the critter out with cold water for a good while to speed up the cooling process, split the ribs open as far as I could, spread the hind quarters as far as I could and get to it as fast as I could. Good Luck!!!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I say hide on if you're certain the carcass will cool quickly and you have a way of propping open the cavity. When my uncles and I used to stack up the deer back in the good old days (what, 8 years ago?) we'd leave the hides on and do that. Even with a few in the bed of a truck, they'd cool quickly. Plus the hide kept the meat clean while we were driving around. I use chest spreaders because they're pretty user friendly and seem to give a better hold than a stick.

Otherwise I get the hide off as fast as possible. It's way easier to skin when the deer is somewhat warm, and that will facilitate cooling, too. My ideal method of butchering is as such:
-- Shoot deer
-- Go home, hang deer, skin immediately
-- Strip out inner loins
-- Let hang over night (assuming it's cool enough)
-- Have a hearty breakfast with ample coffee the next morning, then spend the day butchering
-- Feel satisfied that I can provide and process meat for my family

Rinse and repeat.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be fine at those temps for a day. I personally would quarter it to let the meat cool down quicker if that is an option but it will be fine either way. Many people go on extended hunts where the game is hung for days at those conditions.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
after you gut it and throw it in the truck, grab a few bags of ice and toss them in there while you drive back to the pole barn. Help cool off that meat even faster.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
from what i can tell just by observing many others, it would be best if you got one of those hitch racks. then just throw it on the rack, tie it down and drive around on gravel all day. temp must be irrelevant when aged this way. i can only assume it does wonders for the meat since its such a common practice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 85
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31