The decline of the 'disgusting' burbot (article)

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]The decline of the 'disgusting' burbot[/h]
  • 7 July 2015

When it comes to animals threatened with extinction, the cute and cuddly ones tend to get the most attention. But what about the ugly ones that go unnoticed when their numbers start to dwindle? Mary Colwell speaks up for the burbot.

"When you are furry, when you're lovable, you often fare better in people's interests than if you're bald and rather ugly," says Richard Sabin, curator of mammals at the Natural History Museum in London, referring to the popular appeal of animals such as pandas.....

Read more here: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33410217

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Axe this thread vollmer! Haha just kidding...

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really want to get on a few of these. just dont know how to target. pretty much everyone that catches them say its just a bye catch while they are walleye/ sauger fishing

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to target them, best time is Feb through the ice, on rocky flats adjacent to deeper water. If you can get some reports about where people have caught them accidentally, that would be a good place to start looking.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tailrace smelt on bottom with some luck. Ten years ago you couldnt keep them off your line

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ill be trying again this winter for sure. Ive heard upper Sak is the place to try so there i will up my house and stare down 10 inch holes....
Until then Maybe ill get lucky in the tailrace

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leech lake has a ton of thems. I went to the eel pout festival once and they bring in some huge eels. They tasted horrendous deep fried.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Red river, ealpout burbot, ling are they all the same species?
I don't know but I like burbot through the ice.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the burbot. That reminds me, I have a vacuum pack of them in the freezer. Might have to throw some salt and sugar in a pot of water, melt some butter and have some poor man's lobster tonight.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also called Lawyers in Michigan, Cusk in Maine, Mariah's in Manitoba, Ling around here in ND, Eelpout in Minnesota. Considered the best fish for ice fishing in Scandinavia.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Also called Lawyers in Michigan, Cusk in Maine, Mariah's in Manitoba, Ling around here in ND, Eelpout in Minnesota. Considered the best fish for ice fishing in Scandinavia.

Okay I am half Norwegian so I should know it but I hate the stuff. I have a relative that refers to Lutefisk as "ling cod". So is that what lutefisk is made out of?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to try to find some this winter. They are a member of the cod family, right? Fish, beer batter and beer, what could go wrong?

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Okay I am half Norwegian so I should know it but I hate the stuff. I have a relative that refers to Lutefisk as "ling cod". So is that what lutefisk is made out of?

Lutefisk is usually made from Atlantic cod. A ling cod is a different fish.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to try to find some this winter. They are a member of the cod family, right? Fish, beer batter and beer, what could go wrong?

I think some have figured it out but I'm my experience breading/batter is a whole new level of nasty with long. Idk why really, I had the same thought you did. Boil in butter and water, even add some sugar to the water. Serve with melted butter like a lobster and you won't be disappointed.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lutefisk is usually made from Atlantic cod. A ling cod is a different fish.

- - - Updated - - -

I think some have figured it out but I'm my experience breading/batter is a whole new level of nasty with long. Idk why really, I had the same thought you did. Boil in butter and water, even add some sugar to the water. Serve with melted butter like a lobster and you won't be disappointed.
Got to try with cheesit crackers, cut into chunks crush up cheezit crackers, mix egg, milk, little sugar, and a lime juice. Throw chunks into liquid then into crushed crackers. I even do it for perch, walleye, Northern, or white bass. Never tried catfish or mushky though.

- - - Updated - - -

Where I am from Scandinavian folk like anything that tastes like fish.:;:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75