The Lone Tree

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I had always heard when you saw a lone tree, there was a fair chance it was a makeshift tombstone from the past...someone passed on their journey across the country, and a tree was planted (acorn thrown in, possibly) to mark the spot they were buried in the middle of nowhere. Probably hooey, but heard that somewhere years ago.

Tinesdown

There are a few places that are named lone tree in divide county an it sucks that the c farmers tore the tree down an farmed b the land alot of those lone trees where a landmark

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally would not farm around a lone tree, especially if the tree had zero significances to me or my family, just like these rock piles a guy sees all the time out west here, rent a bit of heavy equipment and move that shit...

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hell they don't farm around whole shelterbelts!! Why would they keep one damn tree? They don't even keep the damn ditches for the most part.

Let's not even delve into the sloughs they burn and disc just so they can fill back up with water in the spring. (before the "don't touch my corn crowd" starts, yes, I know why they do it. Or at least their projected reasons)

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
interesting thought on wetlands being plowed...

most wetlands are relatively good at soil building and carbon sequestration. cattails are especially good at it. i am having trouble finding any good sources. but, lets say only .5 inches/year (i would just venture a good cattail slough is actually closer to 1 inch)... even at that rate, had these marginal wetlands not been plowed for the last 75-100 years, they would have accumulated enough soil (3-4 feet) to not be wet any more.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 133
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 47