"Tree Sap" Everywhere

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Live on Fox Island along the Missouri. Due to an abundance of cottonwood trees we are accustomed to a fair amount of sap during the summer. This summer has been the worst in over 24 years. A couple of neighbors are going to have their trees injected to attempt to control the tree aphids that apparently cause the honeydew. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience / success in treating trees to reduce the aphid infestation? Sounds like it runs about $100 / tree depending on size.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
not sure why we sugar coat bug shit by calling it honeydew. who the hell came up with that? i guess its not a whole lot different actual honey which if memory serves comes out the front end correct? so, bug vomit?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Injected? Not sure I know anything about sticking a needle into a tree, but there are systemic poisons that you can spread on the ground around a tree to control insect infestations on shade trees.

Go to Menards (or your favorite home improvement store) and look for something like maybe Bonide. Mix it up and spread it around the tree accordingly. The tree will take it up through its roots and when an insect chews on the tree, it's a goner.

I've used it in the past with good success to keep a birch tree alive during the great birch borer plague of the early 2000s in Bismarck.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
not sure why we sugar coat bug shit by calling it honeydew. who the hell came up with that? i guess its not a whole lot different actual honey which if memory serves comes out the front end correct? so, bug vomit?

I think it's mostly tree sap leaking from the wounds on the trees the aphids and other bugs create.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone cares, a good solution of dawn dish soap and water sprayed on the underside of plant leaves does a bang up job on aphids and other insect pests that get doused. Works good on tent caterpillars as well if you soak the webbing with the solution. The soap breaks down the waxy layer that covers them to keep the water inside their bodies and they dry out. Works indoors or out. I use it on my fruit trees when the aphids get bad and it clears'em right up. Safe around kids and pets too.

Last edited:

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone cares, a good solution of dawn dish soap and water sprayed on the underside of plant leaves does a bang up job on aphids and other insect pests that get doused. Works good on tent caterpillars as well if you soak the webbing with the solution. The soap breaks down the waxy layer that covers them keeps the water inside their bodies and they dry out. Works indoors or out. I use it on my fruit trees when the aphids get bad and it clears'em right up. Safe around kids and pets too.
KDM, Would you please share the mixture of said concoction?

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is systemic and can be added to the soil around the tree for control. Living where you do, likely a lot of it will end up in the river eventually which might not be great... It is labeled for control of aphids and other sucking insects.

https://www.domyown.com/dominion-2l-termiticide-concentrate-p-1223.html?pdpv=2

Run-off into the Missouri has always been a concern of mine. For that reason I use very little fertilizer or chemicals in yard. We use Dawn dish soap on fruit trees @ farm and it works well. Problem is the cottonwoods in our yard are well over 60'

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
On another note: Could this stuff be collected for a positive use like staining gun stocks etc? Just curious as I'm sure WH could GAF about his surplus...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84