YUCK!

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
ummm, speaking of "not knowing jack", 15 years ago you could still buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath house in williston for bout $50k, or rent one for bout $400 per month... i guess if you knew about this 15 years ago, you bought a bunch of the city lots for 3 to $500 each (back taxes) and sold them for the 50 to 75k they have sold for up until last fall, or bought mineral acres for 1% of what they sell for now... so how's vegas???

dude, if you're gonna lie, do some homework and at least make it sound a little better...

btw... the boom here is all but done, for now... but the extraction taxes will continue to flow east for years to come... it's just how it works so congrats on the fresh cash...

no sewage flowing up the red is there???

Considering I was 16 years old at the time, I didnt have enough money to buy land or houses.

Oh ya, Im still waiting for that "fresh cash"... Where do I sign up for that? Sounds like your the one that needs to do some homework. You must be one of Williston's "public appointed officials." Living the pipe dream.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I moved to Dickinson 13 years ago, my first rented house was 3 bedrooms 2 bath, big yard, nice neighborhood, and the rent was $500 a month. The guy I rented from is a friend of mine now, he said he rents this house for over $2000 now.

the thick of it just started maybe closer to 5-6 years ago, I know my current house has over doubled in value, which is only good if you are selling.

Anyway, I was thinking you guys up there should just quit pooping, or drive into Montana somewhere to poop.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I moved to Dickinson 13 years ago, my first rented house was 3 bedrooms 2 bath, big yard, nice neighborhood, and the rent was $500 a month. The guy I rented from is a friend of mine now, he said he rents this house for over $2000 now.

the thick of it just started maybe closer to 5-6 years ago, I know my current house has over doubled in value, which is only good if you are selling.

Anyway, I was thinking you guys up there should just quit pooping, or drive into Montana somewhere to poop.

May I ask as to why you moved to Dickinson? It couldnt have been for an oil patch job. Nothing was happening out there at that time.
See post #19 for proof.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://oilpatchdispatch.areavoices.com/2012/10/09/williston-goes-big-with-new-recreation-center/

I guess it is about priorities.

People vote in what they want.

- - - Updated - - -

Eye, one question, did you bother to take the time to travel to Bismarck at all during the legislative session to testify on any bills relating to what is impacting you?

Regardless of what people claim, we DO still have a representative govt here in ND. People that show up get heard. It all comes down to what is important enough for people to stand up and speak out where and when it matters.

You guys will have a nice rec center though.

If we all farmed we'd all have the chance to attend.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering I was 16 years old at the time, I didnt have enough money to buy land or houses.

Oh ya, Im still waiting for that "fresh cash"... Where do I sign up for that? Sounds like your the one that needs to do some homework. You must be one of Williston's "public appointed officials." Living the pipe dream.
I don't see anything false in what Raider posted.

- - - Updated - - -

So if west Fargo needs a new treatment plant because of there fast growth its the government and governors job to pay for it! Always someone else's fault nowadays!:;:stirthepot
they've taken all the money. we have had the highest sales tax collections in the state for quite a few years now. we get to keep very little of it for our own use such as you stated above. all the extraction taxes are being taken also and dispersed elsewhere instead of here. what they give us is a token amount. the city is 200 million in debt yet the state has billions hoarded away. Yet you fail to see that as an issue. That doesn't surprise me a bit living in your glass house.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
May I ask as to why you moved to Dickinson? It couldnt have been for an oil patch job. Nothing was happening out there at that time.
See post #19 for proof.

Yes you can ask, its not oil related at all.

I am an insurance agency manager. I moved to Dickinson from Fargo to run this office in 2002.
When I moved here my book of business was primarily farms, and small businesses. Hotels sat empty, rent was $250/ month for a nice apartment, houses sold for less than some nice pickups. No boom of any kind. In fact the oil economy, and oil companies were in a slight slump. A beer was $1 for a tap, breakfast at the local bowling alley/ café was $.99 for a plate of eggs and toast. Movies cost $3.00 for an adult. Place was clean and quiet, not that it isn't now, just highest prices in the state, and busy as can be(other than Williston)

I sell insurance to oil field companies, farms, ranches, welding shops, individuals, etc. whom ever needs it.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member

Then start farming.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see anything false in what Raider posted.

I don't see anything true in what raider posted.

- - - Updated - - -

they've taken all the money. we have had the highest sales tax collections in the state for quite a few years now. we get to keep very little of it for our own use such as you stated above. all the extraction taxes are being taken also and dispersed elsewhere instead of here. what they give us is a token amount. the city is 200 million in debt yet the state has billions hoarded away. Yet you fail to see that as an issue. That doesn't surprise me a bit living in your glass house.

False. Source?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you can ask, its not oil related at all.

I am an insurance agency manager. I moved to Dickinson from Fargo to run this office in 2002.
When I moved here my book of business was primarily farms, and small businesses. Hotels sat empty, rent was $250/ month for a nice apartment, houses sold for less than some nice pickups. No boom of any kind. In fact the oil economy, and oil companies were in a slight slump. A beer was $1 for a tap, breakfast at the local bowling alley/ café was $.99 for a plate of eggs and toast. Movies cost $3.00 for an adult. Place was clean and quiet, not that it isn't now, just highest prices in the state, and busy as can be(other than Williston)

I sell insurance to oil field companies, farms, ranches, welding shops, individuals, etc. whom ever needs it.

Good thing you got in on the ground level of the boom! :;:cheers

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
False. Source
- - - Updated - - -

Good thing you got in on the ground level of the boom! :;:cheers
what is false?

- - - Updated - - -

you gotta love Tommyboy giving bad rep because somebody disagrees with him:;:muahaha

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member

no i am not an appointed official, have never run for any office, and do not muck it up with those types... but i do pay attention, make observations, and try to quell some of the haters when they have trouble with the truth or misrepresent what is really happening out west... i live here and see the positives and negatives every day... the original post is an example of the negative, along with increased crime, traffic, cost of living, and much more... i see what i see and have learned what i know from living here... i have no ax to grind either way, and value the truth... this is the real world with real people trying to deal with problems... there is no crystal ball to predict booms or busts, and no silver bullets to fix problems associated with either...

by the way, calling me a "douche" along with my negative reputation made me feel young again... it's been 30 years since i was called that, and it was actually "douche bag" back then... hope you feel better... made me chuckle... :;:thumbsup

good luck tommyboy...

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member

Have rents and or housing prices slowed down or went down with the slow down in drilling? Just curious I have nothing to add to this thread

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
no i am not an appointed official, have never run for any office, and do not muck it up with those types... but i do pay attention, make observations, and try to quell some of the haters when they have trouble with the truth or misrepresent what is really happening out west... i live here and see the positives and negatives every day... the original post is an example of the negative, along with increased crime, traffic, cost of living, and much more... i see what i see and have learned what i know from living here... i have no ax to grind either way, and value the truth... this is the real world with real people trying to deal with problems... there is no crystal ball to predict booms or busts, and no silver bullets to fix problems associated with either...

by the way, calling me a "douche" along with my negative reputation made me feel young again... it's been 30 years since i was called that, and it was actually "douche bag" back then... hope you feel better... made me chuckle... :;:thumbsup

good luck tommyboy...

Why do you just assume it was me that gave you the bad rep? Do you think that I am the only one that has the rep icon?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
tommy,
you still haven't told me what was false about my post above. I'm guessing you don't have an answer for that.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Nice excuse.

eye, most people I know decide a level of importance for what they decide to take days off from work for. Apparently the representative legislative process that governs us is important enough for you to bitch about on the internet, but not participate in.

Good luck fishing on your next 6 day off stretch. ;)

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have rents and or housing prices slowed down or went down with the slow down in drilling? Just curious I have nothing to add to this thread

Yes, slightly down. It will more this fall I am sure, as I have heard of some more lay offs.

Not a bad thing if you are not the one getting let go. A bit of a slow down is a good thing for the city to catch up, and for some of the greed to level out.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, slightly down. It will more this fall I am sure, as I have heard of some more lay offs.

Not a bad thing if you are not the one getting let go. A bit of a slow down is a good thing for the city to catch up, and for some of the greed to level out.

Let me be the first to correct your "lies" about businesses being "greedy". :mad:

They are just practicing business. It's none of your business how they conduct their business. If you don't like the businesses you claim are "greedy" I suggest you keep your piehole shut OR if you think you know so much about conducting businesses ethically I suggest you buy your own business and do so.

There - that should keep you in line for a spell. Just calling "a spade a spade" and heading off lies being told on the interweb. Can't have that on my watch. We all know that businesses are never greedy and it's really sick of you to lump all us businessmen together and label us as "greedy".

:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Oops... forgot to add the "free pass" winky emoticon that allows me to express myself without being taken too seriously unless your underwear are on too tight. ;)

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yep some prices have went down. The messed up part is officials are actively trying to stop the prices from going down. Williams County is booting the man camps. If there was no use for them they would be gone already, no sane person wants to live out there if they could afford an apartment. Watford City seemed to start it when they informed the RV parks that their permits were going to be phased out. A couple of them have been there for 40 years. The mayor actually said now that one bedrooms were down to $1600 that was reasonable and the people paying $700 in the park should be getting apartments. Further he said he was hoping the county would follow suit. That's insane in my mind, deciding what someone else should be paying to live when a market is already in place. Those folks don't like to be in survival mode in the winter if they could afford it they'd move right now. The elected folks are protecting their investments big time.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep some prices have went down. The messed up part is officials are actively trying to stop the prices from going down. Williams County is booting the man camps. If there was no use for them they would be gone already, no sane person wants to live out there if they could afford an apartment. Watford City seemed to start it when they informed the RV parks that their permits were going to be phased out. A couple of them have been there for 40 years.
The mayor actually said now that one bedrooms were down to $1600 that was reasonable
and the people paying $700 in the park should be getting apartments. Further he said he was hoping the county would follow suit. That's insane in my mind, deciding what someone else should be paying to live when a market is already in place. Those folks don't like to be in survival mode in the winter if they could afford it they'd move right now. The elected folks are protecting their investments big time.

Sounds like he has apartments or rental homes he is trying to keep rented out or is invested in someway with some of them big new apartment complexes

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let me be the first to correct your "lies" about businesses being "greedy". :mad:

They are just practicing business. It's none of your business how they conduct their business. If you don't like the businesses you claim are "greedy" I suggest you keep your piehole shut OR if you think you know so much about conducting businesses ethically I suggest you buy your own business and do so.

There - that should keep you in line for a spell. Just calling "a spade a spade" and heading off lies being told on the interweb. Can't have that on my watch. We all know that businesses are never greedy and it's really sick of you to lump all us businessmen together and label us as "greedy".

:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Oops... forgot to add the "free pass" winky emoticon that allows me to express myself without being taken too seriously unless your underwear are on too tight. ;)

Yes you are right, it was poor word selection on my part. I do not condone any one telling any one else what their prices should be, so for that I am in the wrong.

Seems I should have said that the market is starting to cause some rental owners to have to lower prices to stay competitive, and for some of the people in the area that are renting this is welcome news.

I paid $6 for a dozen crawlers last week, no that is fricken greedy...:mad:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like he has apartments or rental homes he is trying to keep rented out or is invested in someway with some of them big new apartment complexes

Absolutely. I'm not sure what connection there is for sure in WC. I was told that At least two on the county commission in Williams County are in the real estate business. I don't know that for sure though, maybe eyexer knows those folks and can shed a brighter light.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84