They just cant help themselves

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member

Montana rancher gets 6 months in prison for creating hybrid sheep for captive hunting​

Julia Gomez and Jonathan Limehouse, USA TODAY
Tue, October 1, 2024 at 11:39 AM CDT
5 min read

A Montana rancher has been sentenced to six months in prison after cloning a "near threatened" sheep from Asia and then selling its offspring to shooting preserves, according to court documents.
Arthur “Jack” Schubarth, 81, will spend six months in federal prison, with a three-year supervised release, and pay a $20,000 fine and a $4,000 community service payment for cloning the Marco Polo sheep from Kyrgyzstan.
Schubarth was sentenced Monday for committing two felonies, conspiracy to violate the Lacey Act and substantively violating the Lacey Act, according to the Justice Department. The Lacey Act is a law that bans the trafficking of illegally taken wildlife, fish and plants.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
How did he think this would play out? If he is smart enough to clone an animal that apparently you can't transport alive into the states then what made him think that this would be ok. I will say that its interesting but there has to be a better way towards conservation than this. Yes I understand that the intent was to put them into high fence operations and not into the wild.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

Montana rancher gets 6 months in prison for creating hybrid sheep for captive hunting​

Julia Gomez and Jonathan Limehouse, USA TODAY
Tue, October 1, 2024 at 11:39 AM CDT
5 min read

A Montana rancher has been sentenced to six months in prison after cloning a "near threatened" sheep from Asia and then selling its offspring to shooting preserves, according to court documents.
Arthur “Jack” Schubarth, 81, will spend six months in federal prison, with a three-year supervised release, and pay a $20,000 fine and a $4,000 community service payment for cloning the Marco Polo sheep from Kyrgyzstan.
Schubarth was sentenced Monday for committing two felonies, conspiracy to violate the Lacey Act and substantively violating the Lacey Act, according to the Justice Department. The Lacey Act is a law that bans the trafficking of illegally taken wildlife, fish and plants.
was the sheep taken illegally in Kyrgyzstan ?

(4) Nothing in this subsection shall restrict the importation of dead natural-history specimens for museums or for scientific collections

Looks to me this guy was playing in the gray area

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title18-section42&num=0&edition=prelim

https://www.fws.gov/law/lacey-act

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
My question, as always with these people, is who the hell who pay to shoot something like that to begin with?

Wow.
There is high fence hunting because thousands of people are willing to pay for it. How many african hunts are high fence hunts ?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know.

Couldn’t care less about Africa.

At all.
same type of people who go on African hunts hunt high fence areas in the US. I know a guy who went on an African hunt and after that the " outfitter" from Africa came here to shoot a fenced Buffalo.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
was the sheep taken illegally in Kyrgyzstan ?

(4) Nothing in this subsection shall restrict the importation of dead natural-history specimens for museums or for scientific collections

Looks to me this guy was playing in the gray area

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title18-section42&num=0&edition=prelim

https://www.fws.gov/law/lacey-act
Not being a geneticist, nor well steeped in animal husbandry, I suspect that the embryos he implanted into his females were deemed technically "alive" and therefore not "dead" natural history specimens.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How did he think this would play out? If he is smart enough to clone an animal that apparently you can't transport alive into the states then what made him think that this would be ok. I will say that its interesting but there has to be a better way towards conservation than this. Yes I understand that the intent was to put them into high fence operations and not into the wild.
Greed,all about $$

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not being a geneticist, nor well steeped in animal husbandry, I suspect that the embryos he implanted into his females were deemed technically "alive" and therefore not "dead" natural history specimens.
He did not bring embryos back or import embryos to be implanted he brought back genetic material which he had cloned.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys i know that have ate it said its pretty good.
Those guys probably ate the balls to
main-qimg-baea008308afbe96e60c0c05e79ca217.gif

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 9