Thoughts on dent scratch

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know where my mind was yesterday. Anyway --we went S X S this weekend (my brain was dusty:) -i unhooked a trailer premature backed the it off from the trailer and you know the story ---- deep scratch and little dent at the top of scratch in my F150 alum tailgate.

thoughts ---1 replace entire TG paint/clear
2 have them fill a little and paint/clear

or more importantly what would you do to fix?

i keep my trucks generally. Truck is to new to not fix imo
20230813_120523.jpg

Thanks in advance Short

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be a lot cheaper to get it fixed than to have the whole tailgate replaced. Doesn't look like major damage, but you're still probably going to be north of $500 to fix it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You did a number on your license plate as well. Better get a new one, police will have a field day with one they can't read.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Leave it as a reminder to be more careful.

Or get some touch up paint to make it less noticable. It's aluminum so not going to rust out.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would fix it, Why have something nice and it has a big blemish on it. You dont need a reminder, its chiseled in your memory.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fix...they can pull some of the dent out..filler..paint and clear.
Another option is to find a wrecked truck with the same paint code and get the tailgate and replace it. Not sure on the price of that vs the fixing it price. Just throwing it out there as a possible option.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
just turn it into insurance and bite the bullet. its why you pay for insurance. leave insurance out of it and you will be in the $500 - to $1000 range and that won't be a new end gate. it will be "fixed". get insurance involved and its a new end gate and you are only out $500.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
just turn it into insurance and bite the bullet. its why you pay for insurance. leave insurance out of it and you will be in the $500 - to $1000 range and that won't be a new end gate. it will be "fixed". get insurance involved and its a new end gate and you are only out $500.
Doesn't insurance have the option to only pay for a repair and not replacement? I thought the insurance can choose whichever is cheapest?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
No way a insurance company would pay to replace that tailgate with such minimal damage. I did collision repair for 10 years, and they will always go with the cheaper option. I disagree with Espringers on this one, I would pay this out of pocket and not even bring the insurance company into it. Just my .02 though.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If nothing else, take it in for an estimate. First thing that comes to mind though is to get it fixed, professionally.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
maybe my insurance company is in cahoots w/ local body shops or something. you would be surprised what they have paid to replace for me. but, the above certainly makes sense ^^^

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree BBJ! Don,t spend too much on it. If you get it fixed some one will rear end you this winter.
And you will start the
process all over again.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No way a insurance company would pay to replace that tailgate with such minimal damage. I did collision repair for 10 years, and they will always go with the cheaper option. I disagree with Espringers on this one, I would pay this out of pocket and not even bring the insurance company into it. Just my .02 though.
10# mall one swing and new tailgate. Or someone stole it. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88