Thoughts on dent scratch

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife got a little to close to the garage door this summer. Less damage than this end gate it appears from the picture. $2400 estimate to fix. Dealt with the repair shop down to $1700 and no insurance involved. With a $1000 deductible it seemed to make sense to me to just pay the extra $700 and not have the claim which would have eventually cost me extra on the premium.

Any little dent these days is likely to cost way more than a person would guess.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
just turn it into insurance and bite the bullet. its why you pay for insurance. leave insurance out of it and you will be in the $500 - to $1000 range and that won't be a new end gate. it will be "fixed". get insurance involved and its a new end gate and you are only out $500.
Absolutely do not do this for such minor damage. Your insurance rates will go up $100’s before they will go back down. Who knows they may even consider it a collision and then you are really screwed.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know where my mind was yesterday. Anyway --we went S X S this weekend (my brain was dusty:) -i unhooked a trailer premature backed the it off from the trailer and you know the story ---- deep scratch and little dent at the top of scratch in my F150 alum tailgate.

thoughts ---1 replace entire TG paint/clear
2 have them fill a little and paint/clear

or more importantly what would you do to fix?

i keep my trucks generally. Truck is to new to not fix imo
20230813_120523.jpg

Thanks in advance Short
They can fill it in with touch up paint and buff it out for less than $200. I had them do that once and just paid them cash and was only $100. I wouldn’t do any major repairs. Wait til someone else rear ends you and then get it fixed for free

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did something similar a few years ago (9" horizontal scratch). Steve Skiple @ Custom Stripes in Bismarck added some striping that looked great and scratch was no longer visible. Looked great when I traded truck about 3 years later.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short, don't feel bad I did a similar thing only TWICE. Same day, same trailer, same truck, same location only about 4 hours apart. Don't worry there is more to come the older you get. Don't beat yourself up. Just laugh it off. 🤣

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My friend is a good PDR in Bismarck has done wonders for all of my vehicles and alot worse. $250 tops.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84