Tires Recommendation ?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did a quick look and Cooper AT3 was easy to find. 4-Ply P-Rated = 41# and 14/32nds tread. Same tire 10-Ply E-Rated 49# and 16.5/32nds tread. The E-rated tire has ~15+% more tread depth than the P-Rated and is ~20% heavier.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went with Pirelli All Terrain Plus tires. I know they arent nearly as popular as KO2's but they go through anything. Best winter tire I have ever had.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
45000 on my kos and still have 5 to 10000 left in them. Truck sees alot more gravel then highway and have been impressed with traction staying rather consistent as they wore. Would be tough not to buy another set. Kid just put wild peak atws an his truck and he's been impressed with them. Went for the better winter rating for his truck as they are oversized. Price is better on wildpeaks for a high-schooler. Both would be hard to beat.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dear Tire gods -- tell me whats wrong with the tires i purchased : Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT

- - - Updated - - -

they hold more weight than the dura trac -- -the wear has been good, low noise - i never rotate em. They are 100X better than what ford put on originally. They seem to be good on snow and ice

- - - Updated - - -

best thing is that they are alot less $$$ then dura tracs.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 10 ply BFs on my truck now. Zero flats & sitting at 50k miles. Should be able to get another 10k out of them but winter will dictate that. The do get a little noisy as you get to the end of their life, but will 100% put another set on.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm on my third set of Cooper AT3s...great tire but not super durable...I've gotten about 25K miles out of each set...but I run a lot of gravel?

You running 4 ply or 10ply?

- - - Updated - - -

Been running Cooper AT3 10 ply on a half ton and they have been great so far. I will never go back to 4 ply any brand. They worked pretty good in the snow in 2wd last year and the increased traction was noticeable. I haven’t been in any serious mud yet so no reports on those conditions.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You running 4 ply or 10ply?

- - - Updated - - -

Been running Cooper AT3 10 ply on a half ton and they have been great so far. I will never go back to 4 ply any brand. They worked pretty good in the snow in 2wd last year and the increased traction was noticeable. I haven’t been in any serious mud yet so no reports on those conditions.

10 ply LTs...great tires for sure.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have heard nothing but good about the wild peaks and the price is right for $157 and free shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C53COJ4/?tag=nodakangler10-20
I run 10 ply hankook Dynapro AT and they have been a good tire.
Also run Firestone Destination AT on mostly gravel and I get allot of miles off of them as well.

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
My last 2 sets of BF Goodrich KO's both vibrated at 60 mph. Highly annoying. I now have the 10 ply Falken Wildpeaks. Nice riding tire and good in the winter. They have issues though. Sidewalls are weaker, so if hauling heavy loads the rear end has a wobble that wasn't there with the BFG's. I have also noticed when driving on rutted roads the Falkens follow the ruts where the BFG's went where you pointed them.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dear Tire gods -- tell me whats wrong with the tires i purchased : Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT

- - - Updated - - -

they hold more weight than the dura trac -- -the wear has been good, low noise - i never rotate em. They are 100X better than what ford put on originally. They seem to be good on snow and ice

- - - Updated - - -

best thing is that they are alot less $$$ then dura tracs.
You also won't be going thru as much snow or mud as the duratracs. Or getting as much life out of them if your off pavement most of the time. It all comes down to what you need performance wise. Got to find that happy medium between performance/driving conditions/price. Everyone drives differently under different conditions and needs different tires depending on those demands. I drive mostly gravel/dirt roads and an AT tire would last me about half as long as a duratrac. Sometimes it's money well spent.......just sayin

Last edited:

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
cant go wrong with the General Grabber ATx AKA poormans BF Goodrich
1674446472782.png

Yep!.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My last 2 sets of BF Goodrich KO's both vibrated at 60 mph. Highly annoying. I now have the 10 ply Falken Wildpeaks. Nice riding tire and good in the winter. They have issues though. Sidewalls are weaker, so if hauling heavy loads the rear end has a wobble that wasn't there with the BFG's. I have also noticed when driving on rutted roads the Falkens follow the ruts where the BFG's went where you pointed them.

Nitto Exo Grapplers will solve your "squishy" issue, especially on a 3/4-1tn. I've got 40K on mine and will replace them Mid-Oct w/the same thing. They haven't had and still don't have even the slightest hint of a wiggle/vibration up through the 96MPH limiter on a truck w/170K Mi on it. That towing stability comes at a cost, the ride is quite stiff.

The Exo Grappler is also the best AT tire I've used on "slippery", that hard-packed snow-ice that we have in much of ND Jan-March. No, they're not as good as a dedicated snow tire on the really slippery stuff, but, they're better than Duratracs, ATKO, ATKO2, Nitto Trail Grappler, and Nitto Terra Grappler all of which I've run on either my previous or my current F250.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have heard nothing but good about the wild peaks and the price is right for $157 and free shipping.
Also run Firestone Destination AT on mostly gravel and I get allot of miles off of them as well.

This price is not for the 10ply unfortunately.

I've had very good luck with the Firestone Destination AT in the past as well. Always got 60k out of them, no flats, and alot of pulling and gravel. They now make a Destination XT which is more aggressive, thought about trying that out as well.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
You also won't be going thru as much snow or mud as the duratracs. Or getting as much life out of them if your off pavement most of the time. It all comes down to what you need performance wise. Got to find that happy medium between performance/driving conditions/price. Everyone drives differently under different conditions and needs different tires depending on those demands. I drive mostly gravel/dirt roads and an AT tire would last me about have as long as a duratrac. Sometimes it's money well spent.......just sayin

Exactly what sportsman said. I almost bought a set of DuraTracs last fall, but was worried about them throwing rocks at my boat. I got to thinking about what I actually needed in a tire. I use my pickup to pull around 90% of the time, the other 10% would be hunting miles. I have a beater Jeep I hunt with most of the time. I started looking and ended up buying Continental TerrainContact ATs. These things are awsome so far. They are very smooth and quiet. We came back from Colorado last fall with a car trailer full of four wheelers and gear from a scouting trip. We drove 15 hours on very icy/snowy roads and only broke loose twice. I have never had anything better as far as ice traction. Not sure how they do in deep snow or mud, but like I said I really don't need them to do that very often. I think you need to match the tire to your intended usage. Everything has a trade off.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything has a trade off.

Off-road traction vs. throwing rocks

Snow/ice traction vs. longevity

Stable towing vs. soft ride

Etc, etc, etc

If there was one "Correct/Proper" tire, we'd all just buy that.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member

I just got 65K out of a set of Destinations on a 1/2 ton.
Son has Generals and likes those too.

Jiggernaut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm surprised not to see Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 in this conversation. Best tire I've run on my 1/2 ton Silverado. Excellent in mud, snow and ice. I have recommended these to many of my friends and they all have liked them. Low road noise is a plus.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11