Trailer Hubs Warm?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone ever have one hub on their trailer get warmer than the other when towing? Friday I jacked trailer, lubed both hubs, checked for any play in the tire, no dragging or grinding when spinning wheel...hubs fine. Saturday morning left town early, got to bait shop in Garrison...checked hubs just for SnGs...both sides cool to the touch. Fished all day...drove the 45 miles home...checked both hubs again. Right wheel hub felt warmer than left. I know obviously it was much warmer driving home in the afternoon, but have you ever had one hub warmer than the other? Could the right wheel surge brake be sticking a little...you ever grease the pads themselves to make sure they don't stick? Trailer is typical Lund Shorelander...3 years old. Thanks for the input gents...appreciate it!

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was the warmer hub exposed to the sun while travelling as opposed to the other being in the shade? I think grease on brake pads is not a good thing.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was the warmer hub exposed to the sun while travelling as opposed to the other being in the shade? I think grease on brake pads is not a good thing.
Nope...opposite side. Was just kinda odd...guess I could try try putting the little brake bypass pin in...drive around for a while...see if the right hub gets warmer than the left without surge brakes engaging at all?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The right hub tire is closer to the edge of the pavement or road which is sloped to the outside putting the pressure on the tire at a slight top outward angle. The left hub is in the middle of the road which is more or less flat. That slight angled pressure might be what's causing the slightly warmer temp in the hub. The right hub also seems to take more of a pounding due to road conditions being poorer on the edges more so than the middle as a general rule. At least that's what I thought when my right hub always seemed warmer than the left all else being equal.

- - - Updated - - -

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would take the hub off and pull the bearing out and grease them. If your just pumping grease in with a bearing buddy it doesnt help the bearings.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they can vary either side, depending on sun, wind, and road conditions. I just repacked mine and they were dead cool for 100 miles. Then one was just slightly warm for the next 100 miles. On the return trip, the opposite one had a touch of warmth. I check them regularly and a bit of warmth on a warm day is normal. If they are ever feeling more than warm there is issues. I am paranoid and second guess myself. It seems one bearing I get just a bit tighter than the other due to the castle nut/pin placement, then I question things when one is warmer than the other.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think they can vary either side, depending on sun, wind, and road conditions. I just repacked mine and they were dead cool for 100 miles. Then one was just slightly warm for the next 100 miles. On the return trip, the opposite one had a touch of warmth. I check them regularly and a bit of warmth on a warm day is normal. If they are ever feeling more than warm there is issues. I am paranoid and second guess myself. It seems one bearing I get just a bit tighter than the other due to the castle nut/pin placement, then I question things when one is warmer than the other.
So you are saying even on a hot afternoon the hubs should never be very warm? Both hubs were much warmer in the afternoon compared to the morning...thought that was to be expected?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would take the hub off and pull the bearing out and grease them. If your just pumping grease in with a bearing buddy it doesnt help the bearings.

This is the correct answer. I've been guilty of adding grease to the bearing buddy periodically but that can damage bearing seals which are very important on a wheel that goes from the highway to the water in a matter of minutes. If you haven't had bearings repacked with grease in the past 2 years it's time anyway if you go by the book.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the correct answer. I've been guilty of adding grease to the bearing buddy periodically but that can damage bearing seals which are very important on a wheel that goes from the highway to the water in a matter of minutes. If you haven't had bearings repacked with grease in the past 2 years it's time anyway if you go by the book.

Here I thought that was the theory behind bearing buddies is that you could add a pump or two of grease and the spring would hold gentle pressure on the grease without forcing it past the seals.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So you are saying even on a hot afternoon the hubs should never be very warm? Both hubs were much warmer in the afternoon compared to the morning...thought that was to be expected?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member

Morning to afternoon, or cold day to hot, there is a little difference. But anything beyond just mild warmth is a no go IMO. I have never had on any trailer a good bearing be anything but warm even on a hot day. Even if it is a 100 degrees, I've always been able to put my hand on them comfortably. Anything beyond that and you're nearing a bearing issue IMO.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks...gonna call American truck and trailer...see if they can get me in this week...might as well have them replace bearings,seals, and races...better safe than sorry!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
warm is no big deal

feel everything under your vehicle on a summer’s day

you guys are a tad paranoid ;)

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here I thought that was the theory behind bearing buddies is that you could add a pump or two of grease and the spring would hold gentle pressure on the grease without forcing it past the seals.

The trailer shop I've talked to is not high on bearing buddies for the reason stated above. Pretty sure I burned up a bearing last year due to adding too much grease to a bearing buddy.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
stop pumping grease before the buddy’s zerk/plate comes all the way forward

you want to leave it “wobbly”... still standing on the internal spring

once it comes all the way forward and you keep pumping you’re pushing on seals harder than the spring can

- - - Updated - - -

there’s a brand that pumps grease to the back of the bearing assembly

cant recall the name

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95