trapping crayfish

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah it sucks my folks live on a privet lake I could get bluegill by the ton on! That rule pluse the one trap rule and the no opening bigger then 1 1/4 inch on traps are all stupid!

Last time I was down at lake Tahoe me and a kid went out and caught a whole bucket full of crawdads, we didnt use traps, we used livers and hook/line. Water there is clear as hell and cold and they baby lobsters are big too!!!

Quick tip for those of you that want to catch them, but dont have traps. Take a white plastic bucket and throw a rock in the bottom and lower that into the lake, put bait outside the bucket and the 'dads will come and grab onto the bait. Lift them up and move over the bucket and lower into bucket, shake bait and they will fall off and then they cant get out of the bucket. We started out lifting them out of the water, but half the time they would let go before or just as they were being pulled out of the water, this eliminates that problem.

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used liver as bait as well when I was a kid. We caught them two ways, the liver on a hook and slowly drag it in and net them or my dad had this pyramid shaped trap that opened than when you lifted it up it closed. But liver worked awesome, they were on it within minutes.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well not a 100% sure what happened but im reasonably sure a big snapping turtle tried getting into the trap. Messed the hell out of it and you can see in spots were its claws pulled some of the mesh up and even a few spots where it ripped or bit holes through it.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well not a 100% sure what happened but im reasonably sure a big snapping turtle tried getting into the trap. Messed the hell out of it and you can see in spots were its claws pulled some of the mesh up and even a few spots where it ripped or bit holes through it.

You cannot trap snappers with crawdad traps, just FYI....

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how much luck might be had putting out traps on the sunken islands in Audubon, overnight. Need bait vendor license to do this for any quantity I guess.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80