Tree Order Time

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a reminder most nurseries and soil conservation district are now selling their stock for this upcoming spring planting season. It doesn't seem like the time of year to be thinking about planting a tree, but now is when you must order if you want to have stock available.

So order some shrubs, apples, oaks, cedars, willows, or whatever - planting a tree is one of the best/cheapest habitat improvement project we can do.

Towner is already out of eastern red cedar plugs :;:huh so I missed my chance to add those until next year.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Am I the only one disappointed in the fruit tree offerings through Linocoln-Oakes? It'd be great if they put a little effort into satisfying large plantings of quality fruit.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty easy to just graft scion wood for apples onto rootstock they offer. Ive got a bunch I grafted last spring in my BY that I need to get out of there actually... Their fruit offerings are less than stellar and could be greatly improved. I also have some cherry seedlings that are 1 year old from Carmine Jewel I need to move this spring... What kind of fruit are you looking for and what numbers?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 30 cherry (meteor, Montmorency, and North Star), and about the same number in a mixture of apples (Honeycrisp, Statefair, etc).

Gets a little spendy to buy them at $30-50 each from box office stores.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not sure if those cherries are typically grafted or not but the apples are fairly easy to do yourself. If the cherries arent grafted you might be able to just grow some from seed yourself. I used the 'dolgo' crabapple as rootstock for the ones I did last spring.

http://lincolnoakes.com/stock/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=414&idcategory=11

Also as I dont really have a place to put my apple trees, I might be able to be talked out a few of them, I do take bribes! Your the guy with the private lake right?

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hah hah, it's pretty shallow right now. This winter will likely see it freeze to the bottom.

If you run out of places to put things, let me know. I can always find room for another fruit tree.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol, just putting together my order now, for sure another 400 ponderosa pines, The last two years the bucks have trashed them bad, 5 to 6 footers, now they are coming back from lower branches, main trunk dead, they look terrible! cant fence them I have one mile, three rows deep, just getting nice. Ones closest to coulee are worst. I want to put in a large food plot inside of them, but I know it would be total death for the pines. Oh well !

Dubbs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately we (SCD) have an agreement with the greenhouse association that doesn't allow us to sell trees that are deemed ornamental or non conservation grade stock. If we don't abide by that agreement we run the potential of losing funding from the state and other cooperating agencies.

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a reminder that it's that time of year again if you're into ordering trees from soil conservation districts or nurseries.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
my neighbor put in a bunch of red cedar last year, unfortunately i like apples and they host cedar apple rust, hoping to talk him into pulling them out and putting something else in their place cuz i have a lot of apples planted... i offered to do the planting for him as he lives out of state...

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
The soil conservation planted cedars and apples in the same block planting only a couple rows away. Not sure how big of a deal cedar apple rust really is. You can’t go very far without finding cedars close enough to apples to spread the disease. None of mine are big enough to know yet though. I have a harder time with keeping pears alive, even the really cold hardy ones die on me, hoping it’s not fire blight.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Mrs. and I used to plant a couple hundred conservation grade trees each spring, but in a wildlife planting out in the bush where we weren't able to protect the trees it became VERY apparent which saplings the deer, rabbits, and rodents really liked to eat. ANY and I do mean ANY fruit trees were first on the menu and disappeared within the first months of being planted. We planted 500 hanson hedge roses one spring and NOT ONE survived the summer. Rabbits and deer seem to really like those. THAT was a learning experience. Now if we plant fruit trees, we buy the 1-2 inch sized trunk trees that are 8+ ft tall and protect them above and below ground with large holes lined with chicken wire to thwart pocket gophers and hog fence above ground to keep the deer and most of the rabbits off them. We are batting around 800 with our efforts. In our area, junipers, caragana, pines, dogwood, and russian olives are left alone by most of the critters or are hardy enough to withstand the onslaught of nibbles. Just some experiences we've had over the years dealing with trees.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
The soil conservation planted cedars and apples in the same block planting only a couple rows away. Not sure how big of a deal cedar apple rust really is. You can’t go very far without finding cedars close enough to apples to spread the disease. None of mine are big enough to know yet though. I have a harder time with keeping pears alive, even the really cold hardy ones die on me, hoping it’s not fire blight.

Reading online Ive seen suggestions to remove cedar that are within 1/4 mile of any apples if possible. Some state has a law that you can remove any cedar that are within I think 2 miles of commercial apple plantings, might be a hard one to enforce...

I havent seen any rabbits or deer on my land yet, but we just bought it a year ago. I have seen some gophers and mice/voles tho. Hoping they dont damage my new trees to badly this winter. I did put mesh around some larger apples I planted, but the small dolgo crabs are unprotected... I shoulda sprayed them with repellent at least I suppose, kinda late now tho with snow on the ground.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have cedars within 25 yds of apples. They're 30-some years old now with no issues.

Id guess it has a lot to do with susceptibility of the apples planted. glad to hear you havent had any issues...

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
After a few thousand trees planted I’m realizing protection of the deciduous trees is crucial. The evergreens do pretty well except that bucks love rubbing on the cedars and junipers when they get about waist high. Did have some rodent issues with Siberian larch. I’m going to try some type of electric fence this year around the one planting with atleast 2’ height tubes to protect the oaks and apples from being munched to the ground. Almost filled my tag on a spike buck last year that came out of the main draw and started munching on the first year trees. Didn’t realize how much the deer hammer them until you see the hoof prints on the fabric and how much the gophers and mice enjoy living under the fabric.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im hoping most of mine survive this winter at least without protection. not a lot of cover where Im at and land was tilled mid summer so theres little grass between rows also. Next year I might have to put wire/tubes around my higher value trees.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33