Trolling motor batteries

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I strongly disagree! That i all.
Interstate is a walmart battery...they are made by Johnson Controls and interstate label slapped on them...now does that make them trash? Probably not but they are no better than a Walmart battery.....to add exide is also involved with interstate but from my understanding those batteries exude makes are more on commercial end. The ones most of us would use are produced by johnson controls.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interstate is a walmart battery...they are made by Johnson Controls and interstate label slapped on them...now does that make them trash? Probably not but they are no better than a Walmart battery.
Its amazing how much crap is made at a single factory, and then different labels put on it. Wouldnt surprise me if duracell and energizer did the same, lol

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Its amazing how much crap is made at a single factory, and then different labels put on it. Wouldnt surprise me if duracell and energizer did the same, lol
East Penn makes duracell..atleast the car batteries. They are decent batteries.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interstate is a walmart battery...they are made by Johnson Controls and interstate label slapped on them...now does that make them trash? Probably not but they are no better than a Walmart battery.....to add exide is also involved with interstate but from my understanding those batteries exude makes are more on commercial end. The ones most of us would use are produced by johnson controls.
Yes Johnson Controls makes lots of them but to each brand specks, so they are not the same. I know the owner of the store in Bismarck very good BrookField Partners and Exide makes Interstate's. Walmart Everstart is made by Clarios they have them made cheaper no different than lots of automotive parts price point in sales. I have no problem with my Interstates is there better sure. I get great price and service.

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gave up on Interstate, way to many batteries failing in a year or two. I have had no issues with the Walmart Everstarts, run them in multiple boats, vehicles etc.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes Johnson Controls makes lots of them but to each brand specks, so they are not the same. I know the owner of the store in Bismarck very good BrookField Partners and Exide makes Interstate's. Walmart Everstart is made by Clarios they have them made cheaper no different than lots of automotive parts price point in sales. I have no problem with my Interstates is there better sure. I get great price and service.
Each brands spec....more then likely those specs all fall in line with each brand. Most manufacturers won't retool just for a certain sticker. More then likely brand A has a spec that brand b and c fall under and that's the battery they use for all 3 brands....same manufacturer though. Interstate tries to sell it as they have a special production line for their batteries...which they don't.
To add I don't think interstate is a bad battery. All most all brands have different levels..cheap, mid, and upper tier. I would say pretty much all brands are reliable and luck of the draw as well as how they are cared for determine longevity.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How many years should one expect a battery to last given that it is properly maintained?
Lots of variables..agm, lead acid...brand what it's used for etc.. Northstar for example their premium agm 8-10years. Johnson Controls/exide basic lead acid.. 4 years anything beyond that is excellent. Middle of the tiers probably 6 years..somewhere around there.
To add everyone also has a level of what they are willing to accept for performance before replacing.
An example my boat battery/interstate was well cared for but after 3 years I could tell it was starting to lose its performance..volts and amps weren't quite there and it wasn't holding the best charge. I replaced it since I didn't feel like being stuck out on the water. Now another guy may have kept running that batter until dead..could have been 4 years later..who knows. I chose to replace just because it wasn't worth being stuck on the water dealing with it. We all have our opinions on what's still good or when it should be replaced..I would say it's personal preference.

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of variables..agm, lead acid...brand what it's used for etc.. Northstar for example their premium agm 8-10years. Johnson Controls/exide basic lead acid.. 4 years anything beyond that is excellent. Middle of the tiers probably 6 years..somewhere around there.
I agree with 6 years which is what I typically get out of my Interstates so not sure where all the grumbling is coming from.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree with 6 years which is what I typically get out of my Interstates so not sure where all the grumbling is coming from.
It's all what a guy wants..value vs performance. I have a Northstar that i believe is around 10 years old(would have to check) and it performs like new...paid about $300 back then. I would say it was money well spent..others back then would have said I was nuts.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is your Northstar used for? I have a Kubota sub-compact tractor that the OEM battery lasted 20 seasons but pretty light duty just to start the engine (summer and winter),

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What is your Northstar used for? I have a Kubota sub-compact tractor that the OEM battery lasted 20 seasons but pretty light duty just to start the engine (summer and winter),
Vehicle/car. Gets abused...it's a work vehicle so sits outside in all sorts of weather...dont plug it in etc..every battery I have going forward will be a Northstar if I can find one that fits for each application. Replaced the boat with a north star/x2. It's been about 4 years with that one but so far so good.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put CAT batteries in the boat for trolling batteries, 4 years on them. I don't take them out of the boat, as I am lazy, and it is parked outside next to the garage and plug the trickle charger in every other week for a day.
So far so good. I take all other batteries out of the Camper, starting batteries etc and store them in the garage which I keep at 55-58 all winter, they are much easier to move in and out, them trolling batteries are a SOB to take in and out.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I have had good luck with Walmart batteries for the boat and Delco on the vehicles , tried Interstate on both and learned many new swear words.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88