Trolling motor batteries

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shouldnt batteries give more life than 4 years. Or was it that they were constantly on the charger have a cause in this situation. I typically store the boat at home and plug it in periodically, rather than leave the charge on constant.
In this biden economy, I cannot be buying batteries every 4 years...
I am happy with 4 years. Many failures in less than 4. Got 6 years on low cost trolling batteries from Fleet Farm was my best success. Yet my starting battery failed before 3 years. Now using Interstates 3rd year on them.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes first check water level, then check each battery with meter, these newer chargers don't hurt batteries I get 5 to 6 years out of mine and leave them plugged in year-round because you can. Some of built in chargers can go bad over time my Lund did after about 13 years old. Bought same one again and been very happy. Most people need to put in quick disconnect switch or two because newer electronics put small drain on batteries. I hate the

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All comes down to how hard you use your batteries and how you fish. FYI, I never leave must stuff plugged in long term, I've had on board chargers go on the fritz and fry batteries so I usually have them plugged into a wifi outlet that I can remotely shut off after a day or two and turn on the night before I need them and or charge stuff for a day or two each month throughout the winter months.

I'm still a flooded wet cell or AGM person. I have enough things that need batteries and/or I like to have a battery or 3 laying on the shelf, so I just switch mine out every 4-5 seasons. It's not worth being pissed off out on the water during the short time we have to enjoy it.

Current boat has three 31 series Interstate lead acid wet cells for the the TM and 2 of 31 series AGMs (one for the house and one as a starting). Did the same in the last boat, switched out the TM batteries on year 4 (had one short out) and the house and starting batteries on year 5. The old ones that were still good went into the 16ft Lund predator or on to the shelf to be used for my sprayer or other stuff as backups.

I highly considered lithium's for the new whip this year with the new MinnKota Quest TM. I was told the boat was designed to have that weight and that the weight helps with balance and ride, and god knows it goes fast enough, lol. The other side of it was that there has never been a time that I have ran out of power and I am able to plug in every night. With that said, I'm not tournament fisherman thats going to spot lock for 6-8 hours in 20-30 mph winds, and I'm not going on multi day trips where I don't have access to plug the boat in over night, so for me it wasn't worth the cost. I also considered the Minnkota Charge system but kind of felt the same about that.

Side note, I didn't have room for a house and starting battery in one of my boats a handfull of years ago (lithium wasn't mainstream yet) and I would run into low voltage issues on a fairly regular basis. I switched out the 31 series starting/house battery with a VMAX tank and never had another issue. At the time, that was a $400 battery but worth every penny.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do you guys have to politicize EVERY FRICKN thread on here?
You know if orange man would have been in there it would have been twice as bad?

LOL
I believe the biden economy has raised most prices on everything about 40%. Was more so stating I cannot afford to purchase multiple items in our current bidenomics. Its way to painful.
I am already using less deodorant, seems like this was the wrong place to skimp. :oops:

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do u have a kicker motor? Go out and see how long your batteries last then just rip cranks if they shit out early. Least ya know what your dealing with.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fresh batteries installed, now the charger is still two banks down... WTF

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well it was either going to be the batteries or the charger, I think you probably know which now.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fresh batteries installed, now the charger is still two banks down... WTF
Did you disconnect the batteries from the on board charger and try a regular charger to see what that said(assuming you dont have a multimeter to check them)? Is the on board charger a dual pro brand charger?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
5th year on walmart deep cycle
Which are johnson control batteries..pretty sure this topic has been talked about numerous times...I believe it's also not the batteries but the charger itself. But glad you got 5 years so far from your wal mart(Johnson controls) batteries. I believe (rough estimate) I am on year 9 or 10 on my odyssey/northstar. Hopefully many more years to come. I believe it's more how they are taken care of more than anything.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you disconnect the batteries from the on board charger and try a regular charger to see what that said(assuming you dont have a multimeter to check them)? Is the on board charger a dual pro brand charger?
Had the local CAT dealer load test them, they are good yet. So the charger apparently charged them, but the meters that tell you they are charged, or charging, etc is blinking 2 red lights, so I am not sure at this point, however my mechanic buddy is going to be at the assist tomorrow after we catch our liimit...

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had the local CAT dealer load test them, they are good yet. So the charger apparently charged them, but the meters that tell you they are charged, or charging, etc is blinking 2 red lights, so I am not sure at this point, however my mechanic buddy is going to be at the assist tomorrow after we catch our liimit...
I have had dual pro chargers that did something similar..along with frying a battery or two or 3 or 6....... Not a fan of them if yours happens to be that brand. I know others love them but not me.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had dual pro chargers that did something similar..along with frying a battery or two or 3 or 6....... Not a fan of them if yours happens to be that brand. I know others love them but not me.
It was a factory Lund special addition. Think my boat is a 2007, or maybe 09. Either way that charger lived a pretty long life, and likely I screwed it up leaving it plugged in for 5 months straight.
Local dealer has a 3 bank, not sure on brand, but will be installing it this weekend.

Also need to replace the little livewell rear pump, as my 10amp fuse didnt get her going this spring...haha

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was a factory Lund special addition. Think my boat is a 2007, or maybe 09. Either way that charger lived a pretty long life, and likely I screwed it up leaving it plugged in for 5 months straight.
Local dealer has a 3 bank, not sure on brand, but will be installing it this weekend.

Also need to replace the little livewell rear pump, as my 10amp fuse didnt get her going this spring...haha
You tried to burn it down, just no luck eh? ...rofl...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 133
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 47