Trolling Motor Opinions

Bossman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great feedback guys..Thanks! So I do have a 859HDDI Bird but I am not wanting to jump up to a $2k Terrova(even though the I-Pilot Linked to the Graph is pretty cool)...You do have me thinking of converting though to 24v...I think I would be looking at the 80lb Powerdrive then..Basically a few hundred more dollars for the motor itself OR like you said in this case go MOTORGUIDE huh?...As far as other expenses what are they? Battery obviously..Conversion kit(cost?) I think I would want at least a 60amp fuse too right? Thanks again!

JCNodak

Honored Member
I use the I Pilot a lot. Really like it. Push the anchor button twice. That will lock in the gps/spot lock right away. A 24V is a must. Don't forget the 3 bank on board battery charger. Like you stated. Do it right the first time!
Push the button twice you say? Can you explain this more? I didn't know about it. I did know that if you hold the compass button for 3 seconds, the circle around the N disappears and that give you a compass heading instead of a track heading. This is useful when you are trolling on a windy day and you get a bit off course. The motor doesn't try bring you back to the spot you left the track.

I have thought about switching to the XI5, but I don't think I could do it with no screen on the remote.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have thought about switching to the XI5, but I don't think I could do it with no screen on the remote.

I haven't ever had an Ipilot before so I couldn't tell you what I'm missing without a screen on the remote. What I can tell you is that I will always have a motorguide. Quiet operation and the spot lock/jog feature is amazing. If you're worried about speed, you should have a graph up front with you to check heading and speed.

JCNodak

Honored Member
I haven't ever had an Ipilot before so I couldn't tell you what I'm missing without a screen on the remote. What I can tell you is that I will always have a motorguide. Quiet operation and the spot lock/jog feature is amazing. If you're worried about speed, you should have a graph up front with you to check heading and speed.
It's not the speed. When using the trolling motor I am often standing in the cockpit anyway watching the graph there. My concern is when you turn something on, say the pinpoint or the autopilot, or any function of the motor, how do you know what it is doing? I have also been told that the foot pedal is way different and not as user friendly as the minnkota one. Maybe it is just a get used to it thing. I don't spend a lot of time in the bow and I know that I need to get up there and do that more. But until I hit the lotto, the terrova will have to do.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great feedback guys..Thanks! So I do have a 859HDDI Bird but I am not wanting to jump up to a $2k Terrova(even though the I-Pilot Linked to the Graph is pretty cool)...You do have me thinking of converting though to 24v...I think I would be looking at the 80lb Powerdrive then..Basically a few hundred more dollars for the motor itself OR like you said in this case go MOTORGUIDE huh?...As far as other expenses what are they? Battery obviously..Conversion kit(cost?) I think I would want at least a 60amp fuse too right? Thanks again!

I think they recommend a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. 60Amps.

For cables, I bought some jumper cables and cut the ends off and bought some connectors that are
used for forklift batteries. Welding cable works good too.

On my boat (old 16' Lund), I built a mount to put the batteries under a bench seat to save floor space.

hogslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to run nothing but Minnkota's but then I took the leap on an XI5 Motorguide. I have it with the gateway system hooked to my Lowrance HDS unit and it is awesome. I would not go back. My brother in law fell in love with my XI5 and dropped his terrova and bought one for himself.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not the speed. When using the trolling motor I am often standing in the cockpit anyway watching the graph there. My concern is when you turn something on, say the pinpoint or the autopilot, or any function of the motor, how do you know what it is doing? I have also been told that the foot pedal is way different and not as user friendly as the minnkota one. Maybe it is just a get used to it thing. I don't spend a lot of time in the bow and I know that I need to get up there and do that more. But until I hit the lotto, the terrova will have to do.

I used the pedal pretty sparingly last summer. When pulling bait in the bow it worked just fine. As far as the unit telling you what it is doing, I've never put much thought into it. I know when I'm on spot lock or heading lock. There are three indicator lights on the motor mount that will tell you when a gps signal achieved, when the motor is on, and battery level.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as hitting the lotto, the Xi5 80lb thrust, 24 volt with pinpoint gps was a couple hundred cheaper than the terrova.

JCNodak

Honored Member
- - - Updated - - -

As far as hitting the lotto, the Xi5 80lb thrust, 24 volt with pinpoint gps was a couple hundred cheaper than the terrova.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but the terrova came with the boat so I didn't feel it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they recommend a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. 60Amps.

For cables, I bought some jumper cables and cut the ends off and bought some connectors that are
used for forklift batteries. Welding cable works good too.

On my boat (old 16' Lund), I built a mount to put the batteries under a bench seat to save floor space.

MinnKota sells a "forklift connector"

this is how you install the forklift style battery connectors - they come with solder pellets - vice - drop the pellet in, melt, insert bared wire

the forklift connectors are the way to go - most other styles SUCK POND WATER

- - - Updated - - -

shoving the connectors into the plastic holders feels weird - like they're not fitting - use a screwdriver instead of the cable to PUSH them in and suddenly "click" - they are in securely

NO SCREWS!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

As far as hitting the lotto, the Xi5 80lb thrust, 24 volt with pinpoint gps was a couple hundred cheaper than the terrova.

Yeah but the terrova came with the boat so I didn't feel it.[/QUOTE]

No I hear ya. My boat didnt come with a bow mount so I had to eat that bullet. I tried to run with just the transom mount and found my boat control skills laughable at best.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

No I hear ya. My boat didnt come with a bow mount so I had to eat that bullet. I tried to run with just the transom mount and found my boat control skills laughable at best.[/QUOTE]

ha ha - I blame the shape of my hull - I swear they no longer make the TP 175 Alumacraft because it won't track to save its soul

JCNodak

Honored Member

No I hear ya. My boat didnt come with a bow mount so I had to eat that bullet. I tried to run with just the transom mount and found my boat control skills laughable at best.[/QUOTE]

I am trying to figure out how to upgrade my electronics this year. I just have to decide on what to get and how to come up with a cool g to pay for it.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member

DM...that made me laugh out loud!!!

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
Pressing the anchor button once, gives you three seconds to set what recall you want. A,B,C etc. Pressing it twice takes away the three second delay. Once set, it will let the boat move five feet from way point.

Push the button twice you say? Can you explain this more? I didn't know about it. I did know that if you hold the compass button for 3 seconds, the circle around the N disappears and that give you a compass heading instead of a track heading. This is useful when you are trolling on a windy day and you get a bit off course. The motor doesn't try bring you back to the spot you left the track.

JCNodak

Honored Member
Pressing the anchor button once, gives you three seconds to set what recall you want. A,B,C etc. Pressing it twice takes away the three second delay. Once set, it will let the boat move five feet from way point.

Thanks for the explanation. Too bad it feels like much more than 5 feet.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm buying the xi5 this week.

anybody see any deals? Free shipping to local Gander (yay).

Scheels doesn't carry Motorguide do they?

Bossman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm buying the xi5 this week.

anybody see any deals? Free shipping to local Gander (yay).

Scheels doesn't carry Motorguide do they?

No I do not believe Scheels does carry Motorguide..Fleet Farm does though I would check them also

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
power is what you need for control always have enough. control is fishing the more you have the more fish you catch. make sure the shaft is long enough you can always adjust it up not down. I run a minnkota and i like the screen shows me what speed I'm running if i run into a slack water will show me right away. the spot lock has some movement but that depends on the wind and current. In some situations setting the boat at a different position even if it seems weird makes the spot lock work better. ei putting the back of the boat into the current with the wind out of the south. Having a good trolling motor with enough power will make you a better fisherman.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88