trolling rods

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering what you guys are using for trolling rods? I have heard good things about the scheels trolling rods but don't know what length/weight to get. I have the itch to get a new boat and get set up for salmon. I know nothing about salmon fishing (but have been doing some research). I would like to use these rods for trolling walleyes also if possible. Thanks!

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two ugle sticks that are 8ft. they have fast tips and strong backbones work great for walleyes and salmon. the problem with salmon is their mouth don't have a lot of places to get a good hookset (boney) sharp hooks is the key for them and you still have a few come off.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up some Daiwa 8 1/2' medium action rods with Daiwa counter reels for down riggin. They were fairly inexpensive to get into, not sure how nice they'd be for trolling cranks as far as action though, I've only caught a few on them yet and they've been on flashers, and catching fish on flashers is kinda like sex with condoms...can't feel s**t

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have several scheels rods and love em. Also have a couple bass pro rods and they are ok but don't have the backbone the scheels rods do. I also have cabelas trolling rods and they are in between the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention I also Have Daiwa's which I like the best.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a couple of 10ft scheels trolling rods which I really like. I bought them as combos, the reels are pieces of shit. The line counter button has to be wiggled to get to work and I think the drag busted on the 3rd use on one of them so I couldn't even real it in. I haven't takin it back yet to see if they will warenty it or not.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 5.5 and 10 foot Scheels rods that work well to set up a good spread. I used the heck out of my walleye angler (Bass Pro shop) 8'6'' telescoping rods when alone pulling cranks. And do have some stiff Cabelas (broom sticks I call 'em) rods for pulling cranks next to the boat with 3-8 ounce mini balls on 'em(three guys in the boat tourney fishing w/ 6 rods in the water). They all work very well depending on how I wanna go after 'em.

I can tell you the other Cabelas downrigger trolling rods (for salmon fishing) I do have are a little wimpy for pulling cranks for walleye in my opinions so I'd stay away from those if you are looking for one rod to fish both species.

In my experience I'd go with the 8'6'' Walleye Angler rods and I'm sure Scheels would have something nice for both species in the same length. That is for long lining both not downrigging for 'em. I've never used downriggers with my equipment but have been out with a buddy that does use downrigger rods specifically with his downriggers.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14