Ultimate Ahab?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
First one we took is guide style pic. Next one shows the elk in a normal picture and what he really looks like. Pictures can really be tricky ad in wide angle and its even harder

bad elk.jpg
normal elk.jpg

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here’s a better example of the moose I shot this year. We took this photo as a joke and no one has ever seen it. I HATE this photo. Sit on his ass and pin down his ears so there is no size reference. Angle the antler tops away so the inside gap is larger. Is this a 45 inch bull or a 75 inch bull? Who knows. I call them guide photos.
5AF60511-AB11-48E8-B0D6-D5FFC84999EA.jpeg

The sheep is meh. His body was leaning on me so he wouldn't roll down hill so I am basically laying on it. Sheep are a bit different in that you'd judge him based on 1. depth of curl in relation to his jaw 2. length of curl through 360 and 3. mass (distance between horn bases). That's why you always see guys having sheep photos from the side with the nose pointing straight up to make them look bigger.
I do remember you begrudgingly agree to me taking this photo -and then laughing out loud at how incredibly different it looked compared to when you and I were behind the antlers. This is the perfect example of The Guide Photo. The hunting equivalent of the Ahab

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only way to "feel" like a true man is to have random strangers ogle over your hunting/fishing pictures.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
phones and big fingers-- there ---as in how did they get the meat packed out - horses by hand etc etc. especially the evening shots.
If the picture of WJ's moose in Guide-Photo mode is one that sparked your curiosity, I have your answer.

It has a time-stamp of 6:47 pm. Had all of the meat into the raft in about 2 hours. Afterwards, it was haphazardly rowed back to the tent a few hundred yards to the northwest and across the oxbow to the tent.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I remember correctly it was around 13# supposedly.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74