Upland hatch?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is everyone seeing out there for birds with the dry year? We have land in far north central SD, right on the ND border, so am curious how things look in south central ND? We had a big rain (6") that probably drowned out a few nests. But have been hearing roosters and have seen some little pheasants. Grouse we never really see much till the season starts, same as the partridge.

Looking at past photos and recalling past years, drier years seem to provide a bit better hunting. That said, we really haven't been this dry in all that time of recollection. So am curious to see what we'll have. Luckily we got maybe just enough grass and cover going to have something to hold a few birds. A lot of places I have been through in ND and SD can't say the same.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I saw many adult phez earlier but only 1 brood, good sized. Plenty of bugs around for young chicks so I think they did ok in eastern ND. Everything that can be hayed is gone except the WPAs and deeper cattails. If it stays dry they will get burned off this fall. Saw 1 grouse brood which is unusual on the farm. No huns. Rains forecast for the weekend might give the cover some regrowth.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84