Used Camper Help

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at buying a used camper about 20 years old. What are some things to look for? Looks to be in good shape, but curious what to physically look for when I go look at it and also what kind of questions to ask, other than some of the obvious ones like has this camper ever spent time in the bakken and/or a man camp? Haha. Any help appreciated!

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check all windows for leaks, roof air for leaks. Make sure fridge, stove, water heater are all in working order. Look for soft spots in the floor. Cracks in sinks or tubs. No holes in holding tanks. Check roof for leaks or tears. Look at the caulk on windows and doors, make sure it's in good order. Campers are a lot of maintence and a leak will total one real quick. Tires should have no weather checking and replaced every 5 or 6 years. Propane tanks are up to date. Stereo work, TV work. Check roof for soft spots around TV antenna. Not sure if I forgot anything.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a wife or Girl friend. Let her loose in it if she's like my wife she will smell any mold mildew or smoke? Also look for water stains and be aware of any softness in the floor. My wife saved me a lot of misery by having a great smeller.;)

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have one i bought last summer out of devils lake... it's in decent shape - everything works - just can't sleep in a bed anymore...

fifth wheel - 28?' - queen bed - 2 rear bunks - dinette and couch - $3k... if interested, let me know...

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure the furnace works. Not just the blower but that it actually kicks out heat when thermostat kicks in. If it has an air conditioner, make sure it works. Water pump- makes sure it works. Crawl underneath camper, make sure no leaking grey or black water pvc pipes cracked or leaking. Grab a ladder and check the roof of unit.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the tips guys. Raider, I will keep that in mind if the one I go look at doesn't pan out, although I am looking more for a bumper style. Otherwise I would have to get rid of my precious topper if I get a fifth wheel. Haha

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leaks will destroy the wood framing in just a few weeks due to dry rot. Look for any staining in the ceiling or walls. Stains below windows can just be from interior condensation, but anywhere else is a big red flag.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57