Vacuum sealers and bags

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the VP112 for 6+ years now I think. Paid for itself I feel in cost of bags alone. When we have large groups processing meat it seems like the other brand units always have problems and mine just keeps working. I have had to replace some parts on it such as seals and I replaced the seal bar. Not having to worry about moisture is awesome as well. no more freezing or drying of fish before I vac seal. They are big and awkward but I will never go back to cutting my own bags or any other type of sealer over a chamber one in my life.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
That thing looks like the cats ass, but 84lbs?? Holy hell, dam thing should some with it's own wheeled table to sit on.

Yep. I built a cart for it to roll around on. It wasn't fun to carry into the basement by myself

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
As to the OP, what brand of bags are you using?
I have found LEM brand to be far superior to the Foodsaver or other off brands.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chamber vac. They are sweet and bags are cheap. Or else the hand pump bags. They only c9me in a couple of sizes. But, are cheaper and reusable. And no pump to fail. I won't go back to a regular vacuum sealer. Bag cost makes them hard to swallow in my opinion.

I have never tried eating the bags but maybe cutting them up in smaller pieces would make them easier for you to swallow

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
you’re using a POS that doesn’t close/lock on its own? downward hand pressure is required to get the seal?

It locks down but you can't keep it taunt with both hands AND deploy the locking lever sans prehensile tail or 2nd person.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give Mama KDM a call. She's about the most frugal and efficient vac pac operator I know. She's got thousands of pounds of wild game packaging under her belt. I'm sure she'll have some tips and tricks she's learned over the years she could share with you.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
We went with the Cabela's Pro-Elite Vacuum Sealer. Have had it a year and seems to work good so far with no issues. And we buy our bags in bulk packages at the Valley Supply Store west of town.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
you guys spent a grand on a vac bagger?

Yep. We do all of our own meat processing from deer to beef and everything in between. When we butcher beef(3 or 4 per winter) we vaccum pack everything except the burger.

Even vaccum pack fish, goose and pheasant with it. We figured since we have had it, it has payed for its self in savings alone. can get 1000 bags for less than a hundred bucks online

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
​Four of us went together on a Vac master. Takes the sting out of the price. One has the extra room and a special table on wheels. The bags are really cheap. For fish we use rectangular foam plates that are made for the bags. Pull the trigger and don't look back. You won't regret it.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
​Four of us went together on a Vac master. Takes the sting out of the price. One has the extra room and a special table on wheels. The bags are really cheap. For fish we use rectangular foam plates that are made for the bags. Pull the trigger and don't look back. You won't regret it.

And where can a guy find them foam plates?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are vac sealing something wet (fillets, pheasant breasts, whatever..), fold a paper towel into a 1" strip so it will fit across the opening of your bag, all the way across, seem to seem. Vacuum seal with the folded paper towel in place and it will absorb the juices as it vacuums and give you a much better seal because the seal area is dry.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wrap wet things in plastic wrap before sealing.
it controls the moisture and provides some protection if you have a bag where the seal breaks.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
We went with the Cabela's Pro-Elite Vacuum Sealer. Have had it a year and seems to work good so far with no issues. And we buy our bags in bulk packages at the Valley Supply Store west of town.
I've used this one for 20 or so deer over the past 5 or so years. I'm using at work right now to preserve different weed species for winter farmer workshops.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I have not looked through this whole thread but I get my bags from capital restaurant supply in Bismarck, by far the cheapest place I have found. I also have an old foodsaver, close to 10 years that is finally starting to show its age. Here is what I am purchasing this year before sausage making season hits.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ar...ping&gclid=CMn3u7rBqcoCFdgOgQod8s0HDA#reviews

381688.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93