Venison Ribs

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smoked some ribs from a 2-1/2 year old mule deer buck today. Turned out very well. Delish! Anyone else save the ribs for similar preparation?

Attachments

IMG_1765.jpeg

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've wondered if they're worth it - the pic looks like it is! How did you cook them?

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've wondered if they're worth it - the pic looks like it is! How did you cook them?
I put some mustard and rub on them last evening, about 1-1/2 hours of cold smoke this morning, then wrapped in foil with some maple syrup and in the oven at 250 degrees for about 4 hours. Finally, removed them from the foil, mopped them with BBQ sauce, and under the broiler for a few minutes.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put some mustard and rub on them last evening, about 1-1/2 hours of cold smoke this morning, then wrapped in foil with some maple syrup and in the oven at 250 degrees for about 4 hours. Finally, removed them from the foil, mopped them with BBQ sauce, and under the broiler for a few minutes.
Sounds delicious! How much meat was on them? Say compared to pork ribs?

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds delicious! How much meat was on them? Say compared to pork ribs?
I was surprised at the quantity of meat from such a young deer. Less that baby backs but still worth the effort. The taste was wonderful.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup , Iv'e eaten a lot of venison ribs in my day . Deer are fat in the hills so I usually boil them in water first. I use a sawzall to cut them up .

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you do with all the fat/silver skin on em? Trim it off?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was younger, I kept or salvaged all the meat off of venison ribs for use in burger/sausage.

What I always thought the problem with deer ribs was the fat. It was OK when the ribs were fresh out of the smoker/oven, but as they cool...nobody ever says how much they enjoy the fatty portion of the ribs. It just seems to firm up quickly as they cool and it was something akin to axle grease, or at least that was what I surmised without actual experimenting.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you do with all the fat/silver skin on em? Trim it off?
As stated, this was a young deer so not sure how ribs from a mature animal would be. I just trimmed them up as best I could. There wasn't a tough heavy membrane like on pork ribs so I didn't even try to remove it. The advantage of wrapping them in foil prior to a long low temperature cook is that the fat renders out in the form of liquid and you just discard it. I'll try some leftovers for lunch today and will maybe be disappointed, but I don't think so.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad loves ribs. He loves deer ribs. He doesn't bow hunt but he prefers a bow shot deer as there is little damage to the ribs. He puts his order in with me that he wants a tender fawn or young doe. The ribs are the first thing he cuts off and prepares first. He damn near is standing there with a bone saw waiting as I'm skinning the thing.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've cooked venison ribs several times. I trim them up somewhat but don't worry about all the fat and silver skin. Place them in a crockpot, standing. up. Cover with broth, (beef or chicken) and cook on low pretty much all day like other things you would cook in the crockpot.

After 6-7 hours, gently take the ribs out. gently so you don't also leave the meat in the pot. Place in a pan and cover with BBQ sauce, cover and cook an 250-300 degree oven. Ready to eat.

Cooking in the crockpot cooks the fat and other non-edibles out and leaves all that in the pot with the broth. Have had a lot of compliments cooking this way.

Depending on who's eating the ribs it takes quite a few to feed many as there is not that much meat left on the rib. My experience is that a deer will feed about 4.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks guys. The fat seems to be a non issue if prepared as you suggest. I'll try it on the next one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 4
  • This month: 4
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1