Venison Ring Sausage

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey MossyMO! I was wondering if you do this with all types of sausage? I fully cook mine in the smoker and it takes forever and is very tedious - also dries portions out.

Anything we smoke, package and freeze to be cooked later like ring, polish, brats.

But anything we smoke, package and freeze with intentions of just opening the package and eating is fully cooked prior to packaging like meat sticks, summer sausage.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mossy, I made 25 pounds of sausage 50/50 pork and venison with your country style mix and 25 pounds of your garlic summer sausage with 21 pounds of elk and 4 lbs of pork fat. Both turned out excellent. Thanks for the great seasonings, looking forward to trying a few more.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple months ago made a batch of sausage with the country sausage seasoning that was very good. Also made a batch of the bacon cheeseburger brats with high temp cheese added that turned out pretty good, there is a spice in there that I am not to crazy for but everyone else in my family really likes them.

Also has anybody used 100% pork butts for brats or sausage. Would like to make a couple 1/2 batches of different brats and trying to decide if I should buy some beef to go 50/50, but I am a cheapskate and trying to avoid buying expensive beef.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd give my nuts for some of that (only because I had a V fifteen years ago and my prostrate removed three years ago lol)

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old thread revival.
What type of cure should a guy use #1 or #2 if going to smoke at a low temp like this for a few hours, then freeze and fully cook at a later date. Also one of the old time recipes I have calls for micro pickling or freeze em pickle for the cure, anybody still use this or are the newer cures better?

This is what is in Freeze em pickle
FREEZE-EM PICKLE • H
R02991 • 50# box/R01937 • 25/1# bags
Ingredients: Salt, Sodium Nitrate (12.0%), Sodium Nitrite (1.50%), Dextrose, with not
more than 2% Propylene Glycol and Sodium Bicarbonate added to prevent caking.
Use: Up to 1# per 100# meat, and up to 58# per 100 gallons pickle for 10% pump.

Last edited:

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a half cup of Mortons tender quick (among other things) for 25lb batch of sausage. It's cold smoked (no heat) for anywhere 3-6 hours and then cooked at a later time to the proper temp.

Never used pickling salt but I don't see why you couldn't??

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88