Vinyl Snap In Flooring

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A buddy of mine is looking to replace his living room flooring with that vinyl snap in stuff. He asked me if I would help him and I told him I would. Just wondering if any of you guys have installed this stuff and do you have any advice? I have one question for sure...It is going over plywood sub-floor, is there any underlayment that we need to put down first? Thanks.

nybs

Honored Member
I just had some installed - didn’t do it myself but nice product. The model I went with had a pad built-on the planks so didn’t need anything else. Looked like they used a square and scored it with a blade then snapped it like Sheetrock.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I've done this several times in my own home. I'm a big 'do it yourselfer' because I'm a perfectionist. It's pretty simple to do.
1. Read the manufacturer's installation instruction.
2. Buy the proper tools to do this type of installation. They are worth the few $ you'll spend on them.
3. Keep your field cuts to the outside under wall moldings.
4. Buy a little extra in case you screw up a few times.

There are so many different styles you can really spruce up an area.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Goes quick when you get the hang of it. No underlayment was needed for mine. Mfg specs should say but I believe most of these do not need anything. I laid over plywood sub floor and existing vinyl floor.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you put a underlayment the floor is quieter and I would recommend it if the flooring isnt padded. All was cut with a razer blade and snapped off. I did are whole house over the course of 2 yrs. Some from Lumber liquidators, Home depot and Menards. After the first 2 rows you are home free.

I would have one guy cut and the other install. That way you dont have to get up to cut the end pieces.

I layed one room on concrete and it said I didnt need padding. After 3 rd row I walked on it and it sounded like sand underneath it. I swept and vacumed the floor and just couldnt get it clean enough. Padding is cheap and well worth it.

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The house where I work has lots of high end vinyl planking over concrete. Absolutely quiet. Looks great and durable. I am pretty sure it has a padding on the back.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So no miter box saw needed? Just a good sharp utility knife and snap it? Thanks for the information also. You guys are great.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I plan on doing the man cave of my basement with this stuff in the spring .... Doesn't sound much different from laminate other than no saws needed, which will be great.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
its much more moisture friendly than laminate. i will never install laminate anyplace ever again. stuff eventually just looks like cheap laminate. verdict is still out on this vinyl stuff in my opinion.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
its much more moisture friendly than laminate. i will never install laminate anyplace ever again. stuff eventually just looks like cheap laminate. verdict is still out on this vinyl stuff in my opinion.

what's your choice nowadays?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Underlayment? Read manufacturers instructions. Difficulty? as mentioned, get started straight and it's easy. Don't worry about getting a tight fit next to walls as base will cover a small gap. Make sure you always have factory cut next to factory cut. Your cuts at ends of wall only and where the sides will be covered by base.

As mentioned above, if you want it a little quieter use a pad even if the directions say it's not needed. It is definitely a DIY project. In most cases it's better to lay parallel to longest side of room. If not sure, lay some out and let wife determine which will look better. That way if she doesn't like it, it's her fault, not yours.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
we're currently thinking of buying something along these lines

https://www.mannington.com/Residential/AduraMax

https://coretecfloors.com/products/coretec-plus-xl/

Big mistake?

In the first site were you asking about the dog or the tile? As for the tile, both products look like what was being discussed. Hard for me to tell without actually seeing the product. I would think either would be good although the first showed what appeared to be a pretty good pad built in. The second may have also had the pad but wasn't as visible in the ad. I would recommend padded if being laid in a high use area. If it's going in a room in the basement where only you go in very often than the cheapest may be sufficient.

Flannel

Just installed this stuff in my kitchen and dining room in December and love it. My dad and I put it in, never did it before and we figured it out pretty quickly. Be careful not to break the tongues/grooves cause if you do, they are trash. I also put mine over a plywood subfloor and although you don't need to have an underlayment (mine also had the padding on it) I still put down a simple paper one just for peace of mind. Make sure you get the "luxury" vinyl flooring as that stuff is quieter and more water resistant.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did a small bathroom early this winter with vinyl "tile". Pretty easy to install. I agree with using some kind of additional underlayment if going on plywood. Like someone said you can't get it clean enough. Mine has a soft rubber backing, but still makes some noise in certain spots. Menards had some that looked like landscaping fabric. I'm pretty sure I used the Mannington that Guywhodreamsofflooring mentions in the Aduramax Tile. Straight cuts can be done by scoring and snapping. I found out too late that compound corners and round holes can be easily done with a jigsaw and fine tooth blade.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just installed this stuff in my kitchen and dining room in December and love it. My dad and I put it in, never did it before and we figured it out pretty quickly. Be careful not to break the tongues/grooves cause if you do, they are trash. I also put mine over a plywood subfloor and although you don't need to have an underlayment (mine also had the padding on it) I still put down a simple paper one just for peace of mind. Make sure you get the "luxury" vinyl flooring as that stuff is quieter and more water resistant.

The tongue/groove stuff I had a short piece about 6 inchs wide I would snap in place and wrap it with a mallet to set them in place. If not they will not lay flat.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the first site were you asking about the dog or the tile? As for the tile, both products look like what was being discussed. Hard for me to tell without actually seeing the product. I would think either would be good although the first showed what appeared to be a pretty good pad built in. The second may have also had the pad but wasn't as visible in the ad. I would recommend padded if being laid in a high use area. If it's going in a room in the basement where only you go in very often than the cheapest may be sufficient.

Both are the super-duper multiple layer affairs. Waterproof, thick wear layer, padding, etc.
coretec-design-and-construction_1.png

- - - Updated - - -

The Coretec back even "Absobs Subfloor Imprefections" according to the diagram

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
we're currently thinking of buying something along these lines

https://www.mannington.com/Residential/AduraMax

https://coretecfloors.com/products/coretec-plus-xl/

Big mistake?

Did quite a bit of the mannington vinyl planking in different areas around our house. It turned out pretty nice in my opinion. Pretty durable so far with 3 kids and a dog running around on it. Cleans up nice too. I like the fact that if you do get a scuff in it, you just need to heat it up a bit, peel the damaged piece of and replace with a new strip. Haven't had to do that as yet, but doesn't look to difficult if we would need to (I didn't install it myself but that's what I was told). Have had it for in a few high traffic areas for 4 years now and it's holding up well.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I install a decent amount of vinyl plank. I always recommend at pad. Makes the floor quiet and helps a little if your floors are not perfectly level. Make sure you leave the recommended amount of gaps along the walls. This stuff will expand and contract. I've seen places where people have had it to tight and it will start to buckle.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't put click together vinyl in a closet!
Gonna do it, do it right. Get glue down!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 151
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52